50.79%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

ABS delete...yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ABS delete...yes or no

Should I do it? I'm not looking for weight savings, as this is my daily driver. I'm just tired of my abs inop light staying on and my brakes not wanting to stop right.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast377
Should I do it? I'm not looking for weight savings, as this is my daily driver. I'm just tired of my abs inop light staying on and my brakes not wanting to stop right.
When you delete the ABS, you still get the ABS INOP, Service Vehicle, and Brake light.

If you are not worried about weight savings or anything in that matter, then get your brakes fixed.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess it's been around 5 years since I did an axle swap in my ta to a currie 9. It didn't have provisions for abs, so a little tape behind the gauges fixed my light problem and I haven't had abs since. I can remeber one time I actually locked my tires while breaking hard. But I don't ever recall a time that I wished I had my abs. So in my opinion getting rid of the abs shouldn't be a big deal. On a side note, I don't know what is wrong with your breaks, but don't forget if the fluid ever ran out of your abs block, then you need to have a scanner run the automated bleed function on your block.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

check the connections on the rotation sensors at each wheel... on my other camaro I got this light for a while... I finally got under the car and found that the front left connector wasnt fully clicked into place. click. and no more light...
Old 03-26-2008, 12:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've given limited information of your setup.

If you're using multiple tire diameter configurations...your reluctor gear sensors are not sending a pulse signal within tolorance range of your EBCM...and why your ABS may not function correctly. There is nothing that will correct your braking issues asside from removing ABS for this particular common scenerio.

There's nothing wrong with ABS, it can be helpful in some situations. For the most part, it is more of a hinderance verses help...especially since most are modifying their cars quite a bit on the boards.

ABS repairs can be costly. If you feel more comfortable keeping it, then correct the problem. Keep in mind, after its fixed...this is probably not going to be the last time ABS will be visited. Costs go further for retaining ABS...i.e. Aftermarket rear-ends typically cost more when considering the ABS option.

There are far more benefits from removing ABS vs. keeping it. Some may feel I'm a bit biased with my response since we manufacture the kits. I could list a boatload of benefits to why removing it is best if it's malfunctioning or you need the space or weight loss...this is why I base my opinions as such.

Good luck with your choices.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Banned

Steve,
If you can put it into a nutshell the pros & cons as to why a stock / stockish car should not use it I would like to know. Enlighten us if you will.

I've always played it safe and kept the proper maintenance on the ABS. I wouldn't consider deleting it either.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:06 AM
FormerVendor

Mike,

If you or someone else does not feel comfortable removing it, then leave it in. I don’t want to try to convince someone otherwise. It’s not a modification for everyone.

ABS can be problematic, either due to an electrical malfunction or changes in their system which puts them out of the ABS calibration range. This particular area is a good time to consider either removing it due to problems or changes to the car that disable it anyways. Once you consider/start changing brake components, tires, wheels, weight distribution of the car etc etc…abs may be poorly configured. Where you may feel comfortable that it will perform as its design intent…it may react far from what you expect or want when changes are made to your car.

Recall, it is designed for the OEM braking system with OEM parameters. There are variances between performance of 3 channel ABS vs. 4 channel…there’s quite a bit to consider and discuss. As most do on the boards, the cars is rarely left stock…most don’t use it as a normal daily driver they let their elderly parents use or used as their grocery car. Most configure it as a drag car or road race performance setup on these boards. They may use it as their normal daily car...but it's not left as "stock". Typical changes most consider as mentioned above are common. I’d suggest for a couple’s minivan they use to take their children to/from school, go to the grocery store etc etc…just leave well enough alone those are the vehicles that are typically left “stock”.

Here are a few benefits rattled off no in any particular order:
a) Completely remove ABS and associated brackets.
b) ~15lb weight loss from engine compartment.
c) Increased space for supercharger/turbo configurations.
d) Increased engine air flow/more efficient air cooling.
e) Adjustability for front/rear brake bias for braking control.
f) Overcome ABS problems due to clients using a variety of tire configurations.
g) Removes future problems/costs due to continued ABS maintenance repairs.
h) Rear-ends typically are less expensive when ABS is not optioned.
i) Can give client more braking control due to the availability of bias adjustment.

One last comment for some to consider...if you've never felt your brakes pulse, you've never used your ABS system. The ability to fine tune the braking system with an adjustable proportioning valve can be of further benefit/enhancement. This is not an option with the stock braking system.

For the ones that have felt brakes pulsing due to ABS activation, my question to you would be did you feel you needed it? If you answered yes, then keeping ABS would be probably beneficial to the person.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 03-26-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:08 AM
Teching In

got rid of mine and i love not havin abs. even with skinnies up front i have only locked them up once.ditch the ABS!
Old 03-26-2008, 03:24 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Find out what the issue is first...
Old 03-26-2008, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

diagnose first, and then def fix it
Old 03-26-2008, 05:29 AM
TECH Addict

Well I guess if you feel the benefits Steve listed would better fit your setup I'd remove it. That being said though if you just want to remove instead of addressing the actual problem as a cheap way out then I would say just fix it. That's like saying "my blower motor doesn't work so I'm just going to remove all the heat and AC stuff"
Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 AM
FormerVendor

The few guys above answered yes to my question; you do not want to live without it. (“For the ones that have felt brakes pulsing due to ABS activation, my question to you would be did you feel you needed it? If you answered yes, then keeping ABS would be probably beneficial to the person.”). I think an interesting poll would be who actually has used/needed ABS and has it helped them in a situation in their F-body.

The reason for removing ABS is not due to it being a cheap way out for many. There are many benefits. When you use our delete kits, you now have an adjustable proportioning valve to bias your front/rear brake pressure. This give you control over braking, removing ABS does not reduce normal braking.

Have any considered changing to 325/50/15, radial skinnies, a variety of larger tires or changing to other mixed tire diameters combinations? If so, ABS may not function correctly (or at all). Your ABS controller has no idea what you’ve change and is working as if the car is stock and giving feedback to possibly false stimuli. ABS will/may kick in when it’s not wanted detrimental to your braking performance. Dramatic changes to the braking system such as changing to corvette front rotors, drag brakes…all common changes. Alter the braking system and you may be throwing bias far from OEM specifications. If relying on ABS is of high-concern, I’d advise not making little changes to your braking system, weight distribution etc to your car. Leave it stock. It will perform well if you actually need/rely on it.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the replys guys. Me personally, I'm not a fan of ABS...especially GM's ABS system. To me, GM's does not work as well as some other manufacturer's.

My car has stock sized tires and stock breaks. I was having problems with the rear abs sensor. Installed a new one and it still acts up. The brake pedal feels a bit harder than I think it should and it does not seem to stop very well. Before I changed the rear sensor, the ABS would engage whenever I hit the brakes. And there was a small amount of brake fluid on one of the line fittings on the distribution block.

I have not re-scanned it to see why the abs inop light keeps coming on. If I'm going to have to dump a bunch of money into my brakes, I would rather spend the money on abs delete and bigger brakes.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

If it was my daily driver, I'd try to keep it, provided it didn't become cost-prohibitive. It isn't a driver skill thing at all in my book...personally, my ABS has never activated on my Camaro, even with driving it in the snow and ice. BUT...you can't ever tell what someone else might do...if someone pulls out in front of you on a wet road, and you panic (as most would), ABS could save your *** and your car. That is the risk you take by getting rid of it.

That being said, my car isn't a daily driver, and I've ditched the ABS. I highly doubt I'll miss it, and it'll simplify things in the engine bay.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So...funny thing, my ABS light has been on forever. Finally went off today, and when i come to a complete stop, at the very end it engages and the brakes pulse.

Is this thing electric powered? Can i just remove the big ABS fuse or unplug the ABS somewhere? I'm thinking if i unplug the wheel sensors it'll disable it. I don't really care about weight/space savings right now, it scares me when it pulses though. Thanks fellas.

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

The abs is electric. It's like a servo that pumps and diverts fluid in a specific way. You can disable it by pulling the fuses, but the ABS also controls the brake bias. So if you disable it without the ABS delete kit you have a 50 50 brake bias instead of the 70 30 or whatever it is supposed to be.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

For those of you who have removed ABS what are you going to do when you need to slam the brakes and turn... this is where I find ABS to be a benefit. In the staights you can prob save a few feet by removing ABS but when you really need to avoid a situation and put the brakes to the test and TURN you will wish you hadent removed the ABS...

Plus who cares about 15lbs.... Just run a few gallons less gas or get on an agressive diet...

Im not going to remove my ABS but hey thats me
Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

People will be doing what they have been doing for years without ABS LOL Driving it.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bzettler83
For those of you who have removed ABS what are you going to do when you need to slam the brakes and turn... this is where I find ABS to be a benefit. In the staights you can prob save a few feet by removing ABS but when you really need to avoid a situation and put the brakes to the test and TURN you will wish you hadent removed the ABS...

Plus who cares about 15lbs.... Just run a few gallons less gas or get on an agressive diet...

ABS is NOT a necessity. If you have issues with locking your brakes going into a turn, then you need to either alter your driving style or re-evaluate your setup.

All I'm trying to get is some feedback from those who have eliminated ABS. I just want to make sure that the stock brakes will function as good or better than a properly functioning abs setup on these cars.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bzettler83
lol hope your car is stock cuss i know no one elses is here....abs is pretty much done for one moded brake setups.

oh for the guys with the light on are yall just pulling a light or somthing? that light's annoying

Quick Reply: ABS delete...yes or no