Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

koni/strano set up question. front perch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default koni/strano set up question. front perch?

does anyone have pictures of exactly how the front perch has 2 mounting locations? i was thinking there was some kind of spacer? my front koni's didn't have anything like this. i did pull back the dust shield and see something about 3/4inch to an inch that looked like it could have been. a picture would help.

i'm asking because my front is lower than the rear. noticably. and i think this is why. the rear looks like it should be dropped. the front looks like its got sportlines on it or something. if this is the case i might take out the rear isolators for the heater hose mod. mainly because they are on and i don't want to mess with them for a while. and they look sweet. it doesn't ride too bad though. a little rougher sometimes, alot rougher on an occasion or two. this could be possibly because the front are not mounted where they are recomended. on the highway its nice though. thanks guys. nick.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "perch" is the black disc that the bottom of the spring sit's on. You should be able to see a groove on the actual shock below that it not then it is on the lower "perch"

Basically with the koni off the car you can take the lower spring mount (black disc looking thing) and slide it towards the top of the shock. Once you do that you will see a snap ring and two groove's cut into the shock. Groove towards the top of the shock = upper perch and the groove towards the bottom of the shock = lower perch.

OH BTW what springs are you running?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Launching!

stranos. i think when i was adjusting them i messed with it a little. but i don't really remember if i checked it. im glad its at least even on both sides as to 1 up 1 down. thanks by the way.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car sits alittle lower in the front to, but if you look at others running strano's there cars sit the same.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Launching!

hmm. i don't know. ill give it a week and get it alighened. what tire pressure are u guys running? i got 245/40/18 and 285/35/18 i believe. nitto's
Old 04-14-2008, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Any chance you have a 12 bolt rear end? It is thicker than stock so the rear will sit slightly higher. Mine sits a little higher in the back as well but I have a 12 bolt.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Launching!

no. im 90% sure that its over a half-3/4 inch. ive seen pics. mine is just different. i bet its the perch location. i'm woundering if i should put the compresser in there while its on my car and try to bump the perches back up.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

It you pull the fronts off you could probably compress them and adjust the perch location or you will need to jack the car up and unload the front suspension. If it were me I would pull them.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

I would call Sam. I don't think he recommends using the lower perch but I could be wrong. Give him a call in the morning and he will get you going.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Absolutely no on using the lower perch with lowering springs. Koni's generally come set in the upper position, but you always need to check. There is a clip that is on the shock body, underneath the spring perch (or plate) that the spring sits on. You can't see of move it with the shock installed on the car and the spring uncompressed.

My springs make most LS1's on stock diameter tires sit about 3/4" higher in the rear. 26" front, 26.75" rear measured ground to top of the wheel opening. There is a little "rake" but it's not extreme and most like it.

You need to make sure the front perch is in the upper position, you also need to make sure the rear springs are oriented correctly (pigtails running across the back, sort of along the rear bumper line), and that the spings are correctly seated in the upper isolators, the pigtail complete in it's notch and the isolator correctly positioned in the spring pocket (there is a bump up there, and the isolator can hang on it which will raise the car).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Launching!

i actually think it maybe just the slight rake u are talking about. i noticed that when i step further back from the car it looks alot closer. my front and rear offsets are probably a tad different. im runnint 18x8.5 F 18x10.5 R C6 afs wheels. its not as bad from further back.

i also know for a fact. i put my bottem pigtails on the rear pointing towards the back. thats how the stock ones were and i thought i heard that on here. ill mess with the rear a little more. thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: koni/strano set up question. front perch?