Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cross drilled and slotted rotors!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cross drilled and slotted rotors!!!

ok here is my delima, i need new rotors like ASAP and i wanted to get the Bear eradispeed cross drilled and slotted but i called to order them and the darn things are on back order for 6-8 weeks so now i'm trying to find a new rotor to put on my car and i want a upgraded rotor thats a direct bolt on. do you guys know of any and where to get them thanks
Old 08-24-2003, 08:01 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cross drilled and slotted rotors!!!

Do you just want the rotors, or the whole caliper/rotor/etc package?
Old 08-24-2003, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

all i want is the rotors, i already got new pads its just that the stupid backorder caught me off guard
Old 08-24-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

www.racerxpp.com

www.rotormasters.com
Old 08-24-2003, 09:22 PM
Launching!

The Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com) has Brembo OEM replacement front rotors in stock for $61 apiece.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the AutoZone Aimco Extreme Rotors they're slotted and crossdrilled
Old 08-24-2003, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have SureStops for Speed Inc, they get the job done and are priced fairly low if you ask me, $350.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Have you checked around to see if anyone has them in stock?
Old 08-25-2003, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Do not buy from Rotormasters.com!!!! They took my money and some others i know of. Now I have to figure out how to get my money back. How much are the Autozone ones?
Old 08-25-2003, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

$93.00
Old 08-25-2003, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

i want a upgraded rotor thats a direct bolt on.
Upgraded? or "pretty"?

THe Brembo OEM's work great. I run race pads and destroy rotors (aggressive pads chew stuff up), and they never warp and they stop great. I consider that an upgrade.

Slotted, etc. I consider that "pretty". If you need slotted, etc see what the other guys say.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:13 AM
On The Tree

E-mail this guy: LMoore9585@aol.com

They use Raybestos BruteStop rotors, and cryo-soak them. It was $356 for the rotors, cryo treatment, and shipping, usually about a week and a half or so to get them to you. The website is www.policerotors.com.
I haven't had any warpage problems since I've used them.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Wait for the Eratispeeds. Totally worth it. Got mine from Speed Inc, and had them do the install and a complete fluid purge.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slotted and Cross drilled add NOTHING to performance. They are driveway jewelry.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Slotted and Cross drilled add NOTHING to performance. They are driveway jewelry.
yeah, so what's your point? it's a cosmetic thing, retro at that. if you like 'em, use 'em.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah, so what's your point? it's a cosmetic thing, retro at that. if you like 'em, use 'em.
No point....except the question was:

ok here is my delima, i need new rotors like ASAP and i wanted to get the Bear eradispeed cross drilled and slotted but i called to order them and the darn things are on back order for 6-8 weeks so now i'm trying to find a new rotor to put on my car and i want a upgraded rotor thats a direct bolt on . do you guys know of any and where to get them thanks

The simple statement was to indicate that cross drilled and slotted do not necessarily mean "upgraded"....it usually means "pretty". He asked about upgrades and there is a distinction to be made. That's all, nothing else. If you like them, run them. If you are planning to go racing (autocross/road race, etc) with them then scrap the cross drilled stuff. Brembo sells cross drilled and slotted rotors. They specifically say not to run race compound pads on the drilled rotors....there is a reason for that. They simply are not as durable as a solid rotor (but, you can, if you wish, use race pads on the slotted brembos). Also, something to consider, if you are buying slotted rotors, verify that the slots do not go to the very edge of the rotor (right off the end of the disk), this is a great place for stress risers and cracks to form. A properly slotted rotor will be milled on the face of the disk without cutting clear off the edge of the rotor. The point is that most of the cars on the road will not get driven as hard as the "track" cars of the world. Therefore, you can run whatever rotors make you happy. I just hate to see a person buying Eradispeeds (or any other drilled, slotted, purple, hexagon shaped, etc) rotors because they think that is the only correct replacement for the warp prone stock rotors. If you like them and want them, great, it's just that it is not a required item. Many other rotors will do a great job for far less money (and that leaves more cash for making horsepower or lateral grip). We all come here to try to help out our fellow enthusiasts and if I (or mitch and many others) can assist them in getting the performance they desire and save them money in the process, we'll try to do that. However, cross drilled rotors, huge triplane wings, and neon lights will always sell and if that is the look you are going for then I hope you find it. If you are simply looking to go fast for "cheap" and turn and stop, we can help with that as well....

Just more of my ramblings....

It's personal preference and it's your car.....have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-01-2003, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Actually that isn't true...a thin layer of gas builds up between the pads and rotors when when the brakes are applied. With slots or cross-drilling the gas can escape bringing the pads back into direct contact with the rotors thereby reducing brake fade.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not anymore Mach... Asbestos pads used to do that, new ones dont. (Correct me if Im wrong guys)
Old 09-01-2003, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old school ...

Still done for cosmetic and marketing reasons
Old 09-01-2003, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Actually that isn't true...a thin layer of gas builds up between the pads and rotors when when the brakes are applied. With slots or cross-drilling the gas can escape bringing the pads back into direct contact with the rotors thereby reducing brake fade.
What you are speaking of is referred to as "green fade". It was caused by the binding agents (glue) that holds pad material together. When a new set of pads was installed and heat cycled the first few times (the first few, or the first several) braking events would heat the pad and "cure" the resins. A byproduct of this curing process was an "outgassing" of the chemicals that were curing in the pad. This would get between the pad and rotor and lift the pad from the surface of the rotor (this is not the same fade as boiling the fluid or overheating the pads, those are 2 other and different failures). If you think of an air hockey table (for those that are old enough...what ever happened to that game???), it was a similar situation.

However, modern resins are so good, the outgassing problems have been all but eliminated (I can't think of a single pad that has a problem with this any longer). Many companies (Carbotech for one) cure the pads in an oven at extremely high temperatures to complete the bonding process (at temps over 1000 degrees).

So, 20 years ago, you would have been correct about the slots and holes. However, today they are a left over artifact of days gone by. Everyone remembers race cars running them and therefore, it must be a good idea (and, hey, they do look kinda cool). It is pretty much an appearance mod these days. This is why you can order Baer brake kits and Wilwood brake kits with solid (non drilled) rotors, the pads don't change, just the rotors. (Baer advised me that I'd get about 20% more life out of non drilled rotors when I ordered my last brake kit from them).

Anyway, this answer is too long already (sorry)....

Just my thoughts....

Kevin

Quick Reply: Cross drilled and slotted rotors!!!