Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Caliper upgrade w/ stock rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 06:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper upgrade w/ stock rotors?

Anybody know if there are upgraded calipers for use with the stock size rotors?

I did a search, and a few people asked if C5 calipers can be used, but I didn't ever see a definitive answer. I'd at least like to do the front, and preferably the rear.

I'm not doing the whole front upgrade thing, I'd love to, but my $$$$ are limited . So, I'm hoping for at least a caliper upgrade to make better use of what I have. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2003, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Caliper upgrade w/ stock rotors?

Why are you wanting to upgrade? Looks or performance?

The Corvette caliper is a gravity cast design and is stronger than the f-body caliper. With that said, it is likley that you would only notice this under track conditions where excessive heat may cause the standard F-body caliper to slightly spread open (which tapers the pads, etc).

If this is for better street performance, save the cash and buy upgraded pads (Hawk HPS, Porterfield R4S, EBC Greenstuff, etc). The upgraded pads will do more to imprrove your braking than a caliper swap ever will(at least a "like for like" swap).

Just my thoughts.

Old 08-30-2003, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

This is for performance, I'm not overly concerned with looks .
I already have upgraded pads, stainless steel lines, etc. I figured better calipers (and I thought the Vette calipers were pressure cast, and F-Body's were gravity cast??) would be the way to finish it off. Partly, because of the better rigidity (I'm a proponent of over-building things, being that they tend to live longer with "normal" use).
I don't roadrace (yet), but I commute about 1100 miles a week, most of it on the freeway, part of it through some nice hilly, twisty country, so my brakes see some good use. Also, whenever I manage to get my car to a roadrace, which won't be very often, it's one less thing I have to worry about.
Plus, if I ever want to upgrade my brakes, all I need are the brackets and discs, and I'm all set. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin got hisself all turned around ...

The consensus is that F-Body calipers are gravity cast and Vette calipers or pressure cast.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Kevin got hisself all turned around ...

The consensus is that F-Body calipers are gravity cast and Vette calipers or pressure cast.
OOps....I knew what I meant....but I couldn't seem to get it typed that way....

Thanks Mitch!!!

Old 08-31-2003, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

If I were you id look at next doing some upgraded rotors. I recommend the Baer upgraded rotors you can get a set of four for about $800. That would be a much easier upgrade and would give you better braking. Only thing is they are designed for street use only. Baer does not recommend them for auto crossing, I dont know why but thats what they say.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Baer does not recommend them for auto crossing, I dont know why but thats what they say.

Really? I hadn't heard that about the Baer rotors (but I never looked either). I know brembo says not to race or run race pads (or race) on their drilled rotors. Basically, because the drilled holes give rotors a place to crack and race pads and race conditions usually will make that problem a reality. I'm just suprised to hear that about Baer's "super-rotors". I'll hvae to do more digging on the Baer site.

Just my thoughts.....
Old 09-01-2003, 02:38 AM
On The Tree

I've already got cryo-treated rotors all around, they work great. They also only cost me $525, including shipping for 4 of them.

The thing I want to know, though, is if the Corvette calipers will mount on the stock brackets, and work on the stock rotors. That, or if somebody else sells a caliper for the stock size rotors. I'd love to do a big brake set-up for the front, but that's more $$$ than I've got to spend on the car in the near future.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:09 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, Corvette calipers will bolt right onto the f-body baskets. I just bolted on a set of red Z06 calipers over the weekend.

Tony
Old 09-01-2003, 09:21 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the Z06 Calipers 4 piston or 2 piston?
Old 09-01-2003, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 piston
Old 09-02-2003, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Yes, Corvette calipers will bolt right onto the f-body baskets. I just bolted on a set of red Z06 calipers over the weekend.

Tony
Thank you

Quick Reply: Caliper upgrade w/ stock rotors?