Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

anti squeek, anti garbage suspension thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
BTW, If you search your local store, or maybe rockauto, there's a "walker" brand exhaust mount that's a more "solid" design that replaces this mount. I believe it's rubber, but it sure did eliminate lots of the "dueling bedsprings" and "clunk junk" noise.

This is it (walker part #35460):

They're usually 3 to 5 dollars US and are usually very easy to source.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, just ordered it.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
I got some grease in the sleeve area but not enough I suppose; regardless, the car still made the same mattress sound when turn left and right fast. I'm going to get a rear strano bar and see what happens. Grease gun also.
Yep, with the grease gun, you should grease well enough, until you can see the grease "flow out" of the sides. That way you know you're set. Also, use some sort of non-petroleum based non-water soluble marine or wheel bearing grease. The more water the grease will resist, the longer it can be able to remain where it's needed, and being non-petroleum based is a necessity, because petroleum will definitely ruin the bushing material.

I'd say with getting the Strano bar, try to install both front and rear at the same time if you plan on doing "spirited driving." While Sam's 35/22 combo is ideal for handling, paring the stock 30mm with the rear 22mm can cause for some real nasty, unpredictable handling, if you're not careful.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw, sorry for asking another question...

Have you checked the rear springs? Are they seated properly, and are the isolators properly installed?

Also, I'm not too sure if you do this or not, but for the rear, I usually do the "bounce" or "jounce" test while the car is safely parked and have someone with some sort of good hearing and/or sound detection equipment (e.g. a sensitive microphone, or likewise) to hunt down wierd creeks and rattles as the other person "jounces."

Just some ideas.

Quick Reply: anti squeek, anti garbage suspension thread