Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Tower Brace

Which is the best?

I like the 3 point Edelbrock.

Give me opinions, on the verge of buying one
Old 07-10-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

In My opinion, a STB is more for under hood looks than anything else. and the 3point is gonna be more of a PITA if you have to do any engine work. But that is just my opinion, they do look nice under the hood though I say a STB is a STB........
Old 07-10-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would save and either get a front 35mm bar or a double adj panhard bar!!!! Well worth the difference for about twice the price of a STB.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They do have a few notable benefits:
- they add weight to the front end of the car (which is already too heavy)
- they add weight at the top of the engine bay, which will hurt handling
- they make it tough to do routine maintenance
- they take hard-earned cash away from mods that actually help

I'm being sarcastic, of course - but my point is valid. They really do nothing to help rigidity. The brace is there to prevent the shock towers from leaning in toward each other. That's it's only function.

The problem with this is that there are no forces in our suspension that would force the towers inward! When you put lateral loads on the car, those forces are transferred through the A-arms and into the frame. These arms are not mounted to the towers.

The only thing that's mounted to the towers are the shock/spring combo. Now, it's true that the shock tower is effectively supporting the weight of the front of the car. However, the springs are almost completely vertical. Therefore, the loads placed on the towers are also vertical. And, the brace will do nothing to lessen vertical loads.

In short, don't waste the money.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

it is a nice appearance mod and doesn't weigh too much, like 3-5lbs. I picked mine up used for $40 so I couldn't pass that up.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
.......The problem with this is that there are no forces in our suspension that would force the towers inward! When you put lateral loads on the car, those forces are transferred through the A-arms and into the frame. These arms are not mounted to the towers.

The only thing that's mounted to the towers are the shock/spring combo. Now, it's true that the shock tower is effectively supporting the weight of the front of the car. However, the springs are almost completely vertical. Therefore, the loads placed on the towers are also vertical. And, the brace will do nothing to lessen vertical loads.

Sure about that? I do believe that the bolts that connect the upper shock mount to the shock tower are the same bolts that also pass through the upper a-arm mounting bracket....AND, the same bolts that the STB connects to.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
They do have a few notable benefits:
- they add weight to the front end of the car (which is already too heavy)
- they add weight at the top of the engine bay, which will hurt handling
- they make it tough to do routine maintenance
- they take hard-earned cash away from mods that actually help

I'm being sarcastic, of course - but my point is valid. They really do nothing to help rigidity. The brace is there to prevent the shock towers from leaning in toward each other. That's it's only function.

The problem with this is that there are no forces in our suspension that would force the towers inward! When you put lateral loads on the car, those forces are transferred through the A-arms and into the frame. These arms are not mounted to the towers.

Now you have me drawing on paper trying to figure this out. Lateral forces are transferred through the K member right? Is any lateral force applied to the upper a-arms? I can't picture it, but it just seems like the only force being applied to that part is up and down.

Am I on the right track toward figuring out why the 3rd gen strut suspension has an effect if you add a STB?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Sure about that? I do believe that the bolts that connect the upper shock mount to the shock tower are the same bolts that also pass through the upper a-arm mounting bracket....AND, the same bolts that the STB connects to.
You just went around in a loop. From shock tower to upper arm to STB

If the lateral force is only applied through the lower A-arm... question is does any force get applied against the spindle arm which is really the only thing connecting it to the upper a-arm
Old 07-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

We need to get to the bottom of this..
Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Now you have me drawing on paper trying to figure this out. Lateral forces are transferred through the K member right? Is any lateral force applied to the upper a-arms? I can't picture it, but it just seems like the only force being applied to that part is up and down.

Am I on the right track toward figuring out why the 3rd gen strut suspension has an effect if you add a STB?
when you are cornering there is a dynamic load placed on the tire, and therefore both sets of A-arms, that would cause a lateral load on the strut frame mount
Old 07-10-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

save your money and get something youll actually notice.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Convertibles show some cowl shake when you throw
them around corners and the brace eliminates that.
Think of it more as a shake "snubber" than anything
structurally stout. It will change the "feel", whether
or not it does anything quantifiable is an old and
persistent question.

However the 3-point has anecdotes of breaking
windshields as it it transferring force to a weak
patch of plain sheet metal. So that says (a) don't
go that way and (b) some kind of flex is being
pushed down the brace. Though 1/8" - 1/4" is all
it takes to crack glass and maybe not enough to
be worth trying to eliminate.

Still on a floppy car it improves an annoying thing.
Did for me anyway. Buy used.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

right on well guys thanks for the input. I was just wondering if the strut tower brace was worth it, and clearly its not.

But this weekend I will be slapping on some UMI pieces to the WS6
Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Whether it's worth it or not is controversial.

Whether you can spend money on better things is a definite yes!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Originally Posted by onebadredss
We need to get to the bottom of this..
Originally Posted by Captainofiron
when you are cornering there is a dynamic load placed on the tire, and therefore both sets of A-arms, that would cause a lateral load on the strut frame mount
There have been several instances where engineery type people have instrumented their cars with strain gauges and found that almost no load passes through a 4th gen shock tower brace.

As has been said, most of the force goes through the lower control arm on a 4th gen front end. What's left simply isn't enough to cause significant deflection of the shock towers.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i got the edelbrock 3 point and it did seem to make the front end track better. and overall a slightly tighter feel over road imperfections. i bought mine NIB used. no cracks in the glass as of yet......
Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a 4th gen F-car a STB doesn't really do much, except for maybe if your shocks are worn out or the structural integrity has been compromised by a wreck. The double A-arm setup used in our cars actually directs most of the shock through the k-member rather than into the towers like a true McPherson setup would (like in a 3rd gen). Even in auto X circles its generally just considered to be an appearance mod for a 4th gen.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ironhead
There have been several instances where engineery type people have instrumented their cars with strain gauges and found that almost no load passes through a 4th gen shock tower brace.

As has been said, most of the force goes through the lower control arm on a 4th gen front end. What's left simply isn't enough to cause significant deflection of the shock towers.

what did they use to measure the stress a strain gauge? or did they do a finite element model?

sorry for the techno babble I am a mechanical engineer and you just really peaked my interest
Old 07-11-2008, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Really, if done thoroughly, both an accurate FEM and strain gauge prototyping (some sort of wheatstone bridge circuit would best with the flat surfaces) would be a few things to start with. Correct me on this, but that's what I remember, though my coursework major (ChemEng with a MatSci emphasis) dealt with mostly grain structures.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 07-11-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
...sorry for the techno babble I am a mechanical engineer and you just really peaked my interest
No need to apologise from my perspective. Heck, this is ls1tech.com, isn't it?

And BTW, I hope more people like you can question these mods like myself, because I've seen significant amounts of "ball-dropping" in both the OE and aftermarket.

Now, I have a general enquiry for the whole forum that I've brought up once or numerously in the past:

Why are almost all of the STB's available for the 4th-Gen F-body have really small plates that are only fastened by the front two bolts of the shock tower, as opposed to a design that fastens to all four? Is there only a small but very significant load placed just in that little area?