Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Strano Spring Owners: How do you feel about the springs?
Like them, would recommend to others
82.71%
Hate them, think Strano is off his rocker
4.21%
Neither, find them no better or worse than other springs
13.08%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Strano Spring Owners: Love them, hate them, or in between?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
I have heard about some people cutting a 1.6 time. I think that is the fastest though, i may be wrong.
That's pretty good for a road race setup. I wounder how much they had to adj to get it there?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Ok, I don't consider it at waste of time grandsport1963. But you had me a bit befuddled. You really couldn't tell me what you had, or how you'd like to see the car drive better. As I told you on the phone, I'm not big on selling random parts.... And in the end it's your car and should perform how you want. The trouble is we don't know what that is, or in what way it's different from what you have.

As for 60's. Admittedly drag racing isn't my preferred thing. However, I do compete in a type of autox that has drag race starts (complete with a tree) and RT's and traction help lower the times. I also have customers who have reported in the 1.6's, and one car that's kind of famous ran a 12.44 @ 109 on my springs, bars and Koni's. You can't do that if the car won't leave because 109 shows you aren't making super power.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-03-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry about the vote, was reading up on the springs to see what everybody was thinking because i'm looking for springs, left comp on and i guess somebody thought it would be funny to screw with my account and voted they hate them, so it should be one less hate vote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

I just installed the springs on my 2001 WS6. It is exactly what I hoped they would be. The ride height is perfect and the ride quality has not changed that much. In my opinion the strano springs are the way to roll. The weight savings were also a plus. Thanks Sam Strano.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6 MIAMI
I just installed the springs on my 2001 WS6. It is exactly what I hoped they would be. The ride height is perfect and the ride quality has not changed that much. In my opinion the strano springs are the way to roll. The weight savings were also a plus. Thanks Sam Strano.
Ride quality has not changed that much? please expand.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd venture a guess that he means the ride isnt any worse (harsh and violent bumps, slamming it on the bump stops around town etc) like tends to happen with other lowering springs.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Dudes....The best money quite possibly you can spend is to buy koni shocks, and strano springs....it, in a nutshell dosent get better than that. my buddys got em on his car...i cant wait to get them on mine...the car feels like your not even driving a t/a.... MADDD ILL!!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Voted in support of you Sam!

This has been one of the top 5 mods to my car. At the time of install, like others, I was concerned about the looks aspect more than anything, so for a while I was on stock DeCarbons! I know let the flaming begin.

1st impressions after install were "wow that looks badass!", it was a little lower than expected but in a good way. The slight raked stance is sweet. I did the hose mod in rear and didn't like that too much, so I stuck w/ the isolators in the back. Love it!

After time, I finally noticed the "freight train shock/rebound" and went w/ a set of your revalved Bilsteins (bought off here) cuz Konis are out of my budget. Now I'm no SCCA racer or Auto-X guy so my interpretations on handling and the like may make me sound ignorant on the subject, but the ride quality now has substantially improved. Doesn't bounce 15 times when going over bumps either.

Overall I'd say your springs carry the best overall reputation on the board, so don't let a few complaints/bad seeds make you second guess your products. You the man Sam!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Ok, I don't consider it at waste of time grandsport1963. But you had me a bit befuddled. You really couldn't tell me what you had, or how you'd like to see the car drive better. As I told you on the phone, I'm not big on selling random parts.... And in the end it's your car and should perform how you want. The trouble is we don't know what that is, or in what way it's different from what you have.

As for 60's. Admittedly drag racing isn't my preferred thing. However, I do compete in a type of autox that has drag race starts (complete with a tree) and RT's and traction help lower the times. I also have customers who have reported in the 1.6's, and one car that's kind of famous ran a 12.44 @ 109 on my springs, bars and Koni's. You can't do that if the car won't leave because 109 shows you aren't making super power.
This 12.44 you speak- The car only had the suspension mods listed, full weight, and im also guessing the run was done on slicks?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Launching!

Just as a suggestion to anyone getting Konis with Sam's springs.... call him first!!! I never did springs/shocks on this car before and I ended up putting the shocks on with the adjuster facing inwards, so now I can't adjust the dampening until I get to school tomorrow.

As far as impressions, even with the fronts at full soft its so much better than stock. Response is sharpened, the stance is nice and the ride is a slight bit harsher but that's to be expected with a higher spring rate. I'll post a real review once I adjust the fronts....
Old 02-05-2009, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

I finally got my Strano/Koni 4/4, Moog upper/lower bushings, Moog upper/lower ball joints, new upper/lower front mounts and bearings, and UMI dbl adj PHB/LCA's on this weekend. They are great. Only drawback wasn't cause of of the set-up but a fluke. My rack took a dump the first day out driving it, so i had that changed out asap and now have a whole new suspension and I can't be happier. Won't be able to drive the car again till Sunday/Monday, so I'm going to use it for a while at it's present setting and may play a little with it over time till I get it dialed in to what feels best for me. But as it is now and only one day of driving it feels/handles awesome. Thanks for a great product Sam!!!

BTW: No I do not have pics at this time. I had to leave the day after it was complete so I haven't had time. If possible, in the next week, I will take some and post it.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Striker
This 12.44 you speak- The car only had the suspension mods listed, full weight, and im also guessing the run was done on slicks?
Car is the GMHTP Magazine car I did my springs, bars and Koni's and a PHB on (before a Watts link was available).

The car is full weight, and daily driven. The suspension was not changed for the drag racing, but drag tires were added. I don't know the type, I believe they were Nitto Drag Radials. The car had a Dana S60 put in AFTER I worked on the suspension with the much lighter 10-bolt installed. At the time control arms, etc. were all stock.

I had the speed wrong, it was 12.44 @ 112 (in Englishtown @ sea level) not 109. Sorry about that. The car had some wheelhop (part of the suspension I wasn't asked to address and they later went with some upgraded LCA's and TA that first slowed the car to 12.80 likely because of a bog, ultimately picking up .1 in the full quarter. Other thing to add. Car was not shifting cleanly in this test either.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

GMHTP have the article on their site?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't know.... Sorry.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker
GMHTP have the article on their site?
First one:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html
Second one:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...all/index.html
Old 02-05-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks AMG.

I asked this in another thread but didnt get a respond. Can you expect the stranos to settle in a little bit over the time? I know that some springs will drop a little bit as they settle in?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Most folks see very little to no change in height with my springs. I don't use crappy wire--one reason they take so long to arrive back in stock. The wire is only made in Germany.... That and I like the very tight QC I get from Vogtland on the springs as well.

I'd love to have my springs made here. But frankly I can't find the things I want here, and I'm not willing to compromise my product to wave the flag. I do plenty for the USA. I pay my taxes, I own a Dodge Truck, my Camaro and a Mustang... Ironically only the Mustag was actually assembled in the US, but at least all the engines were!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most folks see very little to no change in height with my springs. I don't use crappy wire--one reason they take so long to arrive back in stock. The wire is only made in Germany.... That and I like the very tight QC I get from Vogtland on the springs as well.

I'd love to have my springs made here. But frankly I can't find the things I want here, and I'm not willing to compromise my product to wave the flag. I do plenty for the USA. I pay my taxes, I own a Dodge Truck, my Camaro and a Mustang... Ironically only the Mustag was actually assembled in the US, but at least all the engines were!
I believe your LS1 was assembled rite here in the heartland of Ontario. St.Catharines Engine Assembly Plant
Old 02-06-2009, 11:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hmmm, goes to show that in the 9 years I've owned my Camaro I even forgot that. Oops.

See, we drive Canadian cars!
Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Hmmm, goes to show that in the 9 years I've owned my Camaro I even forgot that. Oops.

See, we drive Canadian cars!
As long as the Vin doesnt begin with a 3 or a K I am happy.

Quick Reply: Strano Spring Owners: Love them, hate them, or in between?