Texas Classifieds Sell your items and vehicles here in Texas

FS - Pavlock Ported Heads & Ti Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS - Pavlock Ported Heads & Ti Exhaust

Complete set of Pavlock 241 Ported heads.
I purchased these recently ($450) from another member here (02txceta) and took them to get flowed and they were not quite what I expected. I don't have time to mess with this issue so I figured I'd sell them. I have $450 in the heads and $60 I paid to have them flowed.

OFF THE MARKET

Point Intake Exhaust
.200 118.7 107.2
.300 173.0 141.3
.400 214.3 168.7
.500 228.0 177.4
.600 239.1 182.1

Original Post:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-cla...241-heads.html

Titanium Exhaust off an '01 C5 z06 with 60K miles. Was going to do bypass mod but.....out they go.

$260 Can install if needed.

On the Southeast side of Houston...prefer pickup.

J.R.
832.795.1750 Cell/text

Last edited by 1stz06; 05-04-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I read the original sell ad and I see that he spoke with someone here and was told what they flow. I am the only person that does cylinder head work in this shop and no one has talked to me. I stamp the heads either 510 1 or 510 2 (I do this to avoid this from happening) the only heads that dont get stamped are just heads that I do valve job and blend the valve job and short turn and the rest of the port is UNTOUCHED but flow numbers on those exceed 275 CFM.

Im sorry to hear this happened to you and maybe I can help you out.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So what is being said??? Maybe these aren't ported?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by matt510
I read the original sell ad and I see that he spoke with someone here and was told what they flow. I am the only person that does cylinder head work in this shop and no one has talked to me. I stamp the heads either 510 1 or 510 2 (I do this to avoid this from happening) the only heads that dont get stamped are just heads that I do valve job and blend the valve job and short turn and the rest of the port is UNTOUCHED but flow numbers on those exceed 275 CFM.

Before you get on here posting something like this, you need to talk to Brian. These heads WERE ported by Pavlock a little over a year ago... I know them very well, Josh got them from Brian and had to take them back to get ported again when I put the motor in his car. Josh sold the car to Jason, since Jason is going turbo he sold the heads to Matt. Matt put them on his car, since his car made more power with 317's and he was having head gasket issues he decided to put the 317's back on and sell the 241's...

Now this gentleman owns the heads... Just because you did not personally do the port work on them does not mean they were not ported by Pavlock.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

^^^ ding ding ding, that's how it really played out. I made a conservative 410ish with these heads and some other parts.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Different bench, different day, unknown correction factor I'm assuming?

I'm just going to throw this out there and say that the flow bench is really nothing more than a tuning tool the porter can use as he is developing the port/vj/chamber, etc...

I've had a set of heads that my porter was seeing 270-305cfm corrected from about .475-.600 on his flowdata bench. They made about 455/410rwhp SAE with a 231 deg /.585" lift cam and unported fast 90 in a 6-spd car (fairly decent street setup). While dynojets are probably more comparable than most, they are also just a tuning tool (though somewhat poor)...but the car ran VERY well.

Before I installed them, I had my machinist (not my cyl head porter) throw them on his smaller superflow bench just for grins and they went about 265cfm and backed up at .550" I didn't care because I knew they would work on the car and that was in no way a comparable test.

Goes to show when you are comparing different benches on different days with who knows what CF, you will always get different numbers. Furthermore, the flow numbers rarely really indicate the potential the head has to make the car move as they do not account for volume, airspeed, port and chamber design, etc all which contribute to the ability of the head to support power.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

I guess the best question here is who had these heads actually installed on a setup? What power did they make? What ets did they run?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by connexion2005
I guess the best question here is who had these heads actually installed on a setup? What power did they make? What ets did they run?
As Posted above:

imma_stocker stated he made around 410ish with these heads on his LS1.

I installed the motor in the car before Jason bought it from Josh. I know for a fact Brian with Pavlock ported them
Old 04-29-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

The heads I have definately are not stamped.

Originally Posted by gnasty1521
So what is being said??? Maybe these aren't ported?
The heads I have are definately ported.!!

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
As Posted above:

I installed the motor in the car before Jason bought it from Josh. I know for a fact Brian with Pavlock ported them
From what I am being told by Matt, these heads were ported by Brian himself and for $260 someone is getting a bargain.!!!!

TTMFT.!!!

J.R.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 PM

As Posted above:

Ok I cleared this up with Bryan. Bryan Pavlock did do the porting on these heads over a year ago. He ported them for his own personal car and then the heads got passed down and over this time im guessing the heads have went through all of these people. Now here is where I am comming from on this situation. I purchased a Flow bench and have been doing port work on LS series heads for a little over 6 months at Pavlock Performance. Bryan Pavlock is not a cylinder head porter nor does he do any of the head porting now. I just dont want this set of poor quality cylinder heads to reflect on the cylinder heads leaving the shop now. What I am offering 1stz06 is to let me look at these heads and see if I can correct the work. I will do the port work free of charge I just dont want these heads in their current state to continue going down the line. I know in hard times like this last thing a member wants is to spend their hard earned money on a product of poor quality

I hope this can clear things up a bit

-Matt-
Old 04-29-2010, 05:04 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by SSP Racing
Goes to show when you are comparing different benches on different days with who knows what CF, you will always get different numbers. Furthermore, the flow numbers rarely really indicate the potential the head has to make the car move as they do not account for volume, airspeed, port and chamber design, etc all which contribute to the ability of the head to support power.
I agree, there is a lot of variation between not just flowbenches, but operators as well. I've been over to Pavlock's and I noticed Matt uses a Flowcom, which is typically a ~$3000 option that a lot of people don't invest in. If you are not using a Flowcom, you would have to manually adjust to 28" at each lift point, take the percentages off of the manometer, and make calculations based off that to get the "corrected" flow numbers. I could see a big variation in that alone.

J.R., good luck on the sale.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I meant no offense by any means, bump to the top for you. If I had the money these would be on my car...
Old 04-29-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Ok I cleared this up with Bryan. Bryan Pavlock did do the porting on these heads over a year ago. He ported them for his own personal car and then the heads got passed down and over this time im guessing the heads have went through all of these people. Now here is where I am comming from on this situation. I purchased a Flow bench and have been doing port work on LS series heads for a little over 6 months at Pavlock Performance. Bryan Pavlock is not a cylinder head porter nor does he do any of the head porting now. I just dont want this set of poor quality cylinder heads to reflect on the cylinder heads leaving the shop now. What I am offering 1stz06 is to let me look at these heads and see if I can correct the work. I will do the port work free of charge I just dont want these heads in their current state to continue going down the line. I know in hard times like this last thing a member wants is to spend their hard earned money on a product of poor quality

I hope this can clear things up a bit

-Matt-
That's straight up Matt. If they can't be fixed, I think we should destroy them. I like to think I can fix anything...from a broken heart to the crack of dawn and everything in between, but.....that doesn't mean I know how to port heads. With that being said, these heads do NOT and should NOT reflect the quality of work Pavlock performance puts out. I'm on Tech daily and I see the shops that are doing well and the shops that have complaints and I have recommended Pavlock to several people because of their reputation amongst other Tech'ers. I was under the impression that these were ported by Pavlock Performance, as heads they sell to a general consumer and clearly they are not.

There are no hard feelings here just a bit more to the story than expected.

I'll get in contact with you sometime next week Matt and see if they are salvagable, if not....we'll set them on fire

Originally Posted by KCS
I agree, there is a lot of variation between not just flowbenches, but operators as well. I've been over to Pavlock's and I noticed Matt uses a Flowcom, which is typically a ~$3000 option that a lot of people don't invest in. If you are not using a Flowcom, you would have to manually adjust to 28" at each lift point, take the percentages off of the manometer, and make calculations based off that to get the "corrected" flow numbers. I could see a big variation in that alone.

J.R., good luck on the sale.
Thanks KCS.!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Sounds great!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:57 AM
FormerVendor

I would have to see the heads themselves since they have been hand-me-downed so many times it sounds like, but the story sounds to be accurate from what I hear. But they were heads I tinkered with for my own car. "Not what sales as our stage 1 or 2". I wouldn't bash the heads too bad like it sounds some of you are doing. My full weight street car went from 11.2x to 10.6x-7x's on 305 nittos with a Trex and those heads with a ported Fast 90 back than. Car made 420 with old head/cam set up, and dyno'd a little over 460 through a 12 bolt with the Trex/heads with an ls6 intake first. So regardless of numbers, the car hauled *** for a stock short block and full interior! If your going to "toss" the heads by all mean give them back lol..
Old 04-30-2010, 06:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pavlock Performance
I would have to see the heads themselves since they have been hand-me-downed so many times it sounds like, but the story sounds to be accurate from what I hear. But they were heads I tinkered with for my own car. "Not what sales as our stage 1 or 2". I wouldn't bash the heads too bad like it sounds some of you are doing. My full weight street car went from 11.2x to 10.6x-7x's on 305 nittos with a Trex and those heads with a ported Fast 90 back than. Car made 420 with old head/cam set up, and dyno'd a little over 460 through a 12 bolt with the Trex/heads with an ls6 intake first. So regardless of numbers, the car hauled *** for a stock short block and full interior! If your going to "toss" the heads by all mean give them back lol..
LOL, I think the only one that really bashed your work was your own employee... LOL

I know these heads were before you start doing the head porting. Like stated above, don't judge Pavlock's work based on these heads. I've had Brian do work for me, he did a great job on the motor install!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

LOL, I think the only one that really bashed your work was your own employee... LOL

I know these heads were before you start doing the head porting. Like stated above, don't judge Pavlock's work based on these heads. I've had Brian do work for me, he did a great job on the motor install!
And these heads were GREAT for the street on a similar setup to Pavlock, the only reason I got rid of them was for FI. Any shop willing to re-do prior work out of pride is good in my book
Old 04-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Props to Pavlock for the way this is being handled....
Old 05-04-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Price Drop on the Ti Exhaust....$260