Can I sell my personalized plate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I sell my personalized plate?

I may be changing my license plate once 7 letters is allowed to "DONOHUE"... but if I do so... Would I be able to sell my "BAD WS6" plates? and would they be able to be used on someone elses car? Would anyone be interested?
Old 10-15-2008, 01:53 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Put them on ebay, winner gets the opportunity to register them. You probably both have to be at the DPS in person to make the swap though.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Put them on ebay, winner gets the opportunity to register them. You probably both have to be at the DPS in person to make the swap though.
Nice. Thanks for the info Tony.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I doubt that would work. All the person has to do is wait for your current tag to expire which will free up the combination, then jump on it. Just you getting a new personalize plate for the same car could do that too.

I don't think DPS will just switch them to another person and they may not even be legal to sell so I'd advise contacting them before trying.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I doubt that would work. All the person has to do is wait for your current tag to expire which will free up the combination, then jump on it. Just you getting a new personalize plate for the same car could do that too.

I don't think DPS will just switch them to another person and they may not even be legal to sell so I'd advise contacting them before trying.
I've seen personalized plated for sale before. Also, goodluck on "timing" when BAD WS6 comes available. Anyones chances of getting them are slim IMO. When you first buy personalized plates, they arent even issued to a car. They were issued to my name, and then I had to get them issued to my car. So if I got my other personalized plates. They wouldnt be registered to the TA at all at first.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I've seen personalized plated for sale before. Also, goodluck on "timing" when BAD WS6 comes available. Anyones chances of getting them are slim IMO. When you first buy personalized plates, they arent even issued to a car. They were issued to my name, and then I had to get them issued to my car. So if I got my other personalized plates. They wouldnt be registered to the TA at all at first.
Yeah, I don't think dps would care. It's the rights you are giving up.. I say you would get some cash.. I got my 6th Choice which was GTKILR!!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was told 7 would be avail. around aug/sept. 09. Anyone else have info on the date?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Yes, you can switch plates for a huge fee of $15 and its necessary for both parties to be present. Price may be different ($15 last year)

Two buddies of mine switched plates last year when the other lost a bet...
Old 10-15-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by 1badchicken
Yeah, I don't think dps would care. It's the rights you are giving up.. I say you would get some cash.. I got my 6th Choice which was GTKILR!!!!
Nice choice! At least you didn't try to get Cobra killer like everyone else, you'd be living a lie.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can sell them. Or you can watch sits like Public Data. I was lucky and got "GTO" for my car 4yrs after the new GTO came out. The previous registrar expired and I jumped on it. FYI, Texas doesn't release tags the day they expire. The set I got was expired for exactly 5yrs.

Quick Reply: Can I sell my personalized plate?