Suspended license help????

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Suspended license help????

Just found out I have a suspended license. It was suspended on 1/16/09. Turns out it was suspended because I had a surcharge on a ticket for no insurance last year, I paid the ticket of like 280 but never the surcharge. I was suppose to receive a bill in the mail for the surcharge, but my license has the wrong address so i never got the bill and was never able to pay it. Does anyone know how I can get all this straightned out, because I feel like I can go to jail anytime if i get pulled over with a suspended license. The reason this came to my attention was because i just got pulled over today for:
no seat belt,
wrong address on license
& Suspended license.

thnx guys
Old 02-17-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummmm, the cop didnt say anything? ....Id say call a lawyer and find out. Im sure they can dismiss it for you or at least get it taken car of. Good Luck..
Old 02-17-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Why have you been driving with your license when you know it has the wrong addy which can get you a suspended license?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

So you got pulled over today and the cop told you your license had been suspended but let you go??
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Why have you been driving with your license when you know it has the wrong addy which can get you a suspended license?
Have never changed the address, cuz never thought it was a big deal. but reason i got the suspended license is because I never paid the surcharge from my last ticket of no insurance. Because I never got the bill due to my address being wrong.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by THE BLACK WIDOW
So you got pulled over today and the cop told you your license had been suspended but let you go??
correct... he was just being a dick..what kind of cop pulls you over for a damn seat belt..the fucked up thing is that I was already going to get off my car since he actually stopped me when i got to my job parking lot
Old 02-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Launching!

u have to call dps in austin, think its 512-424-2600. long wait. u can make a phone payment or they can resend surcharge bill to u. personally i think its pure bs. all about money. i had to pay 3 yrs of surcharges at 780 a yr. and then 560 for 3 more years. so im pretty sure that 260 is just 1 of the 2 or 3 yrs u will have to pay. nothing like he feeling of crusin your ls1 camaro with a suspended license. dont need a lawyer. good luck.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Cops that do their job pull you over for no seatbelt. And he was not being a dick if he didn't haul your *** in. You should be kissing his ***.

But you'll have to contact the DMV so they can give you a number to call in Austin. Get your stuff, send them money and a copy of insurance and pay them every year without any other tickets. And you'll have to get an SR-22 filed.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Pay the sure charge asap and pay the re admittance fee for your dl. there is no way around it. Also when you pay it keep the recipte on you at all times when driving this will save you a trip to jail. Your first stop is a freebie but next time off to the impound lot trust me I had soldiers go through this **** back in the day. Oh and make sure you pay all the sure charges and there are no other outstanding ****. Texas is by far the slowest people on earth to clear you up after you have paid everything but these ******* are quick to throw somebody in jail.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Teching In

You cant go to jail for a susp license. You have to recieded a ticket for a susp license before then get stopped again and then thats when you can go to jail. Pretty much on the second time you get ticketed for a susp license that when you can be taken to jail. Now if you have a warrant for the surcharges from the city of the ticket then thats a different story. Just pay for the surcharges and you be fine. Plus if you have the wrong address on the license, that is also an offense with a ticket or jail if the police was cruel enough. Cause you have 30 days from the time you move to change the address on the license. Plus with 3 tickets in the city of Dallas, you can be hauled to jail and car impounded, so just be cool with the police and they can cut you some slack. Just FYI
Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Teching In

oh yes you can go to jail anytime you get pulled over with a suspended license. The best thing to do is call DPS there the one who deals with the sure charge. Thats what happpen to me and i had to call them it sucks man $500 ever year
Old 02-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Teching In

You have to have a previous conviction for susp license in the city of Dallas. I guess it depends on the city. But for us it 2 strikes and your going for susp license.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Launching!

meanwhile, you should probably apply for an ODL so you don't get yourself into anymore trouble
Old 02-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Silver35thZ
meanwhile, you should probably apply for an ODL so you don't get yourself into anymore trouble
True on that, just make sure your going to work. LOL
Old 02-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

The only 2 things you can not go to jail for is open container and speeding.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mendozals1
You cant go to jail for a susp license. You have to recieded a ticket for a susp license before then get stopped again and then thats when you can go to jail. Pretty much on the second time you get ticketed for a susp license that when you can be taken to jail. Now if you have a warrant for the surcharges from the city of the ticket then thats a different story. Just pay for the surcharges and you be fine. Plus if you have the wrong address on the license, that is also an offense with a ticket or jail if the police was cruel enough. Cause you have 30 days from the time you move to change the address on the license. Plus with 3 tickets in the city of Dallas, you can be hauled to jail and car impounded, so just be cool with the police and they can cut you some slack. Just FYI

DuDe not to bust your bubble but i went to jail for a suspended license TWICE!! It's up to the police officer, he can take you to jail or write you 250 dollar ticket.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 AM
Teching In

You can go to jail for speeding. It all depends on the circumstances and the officer. You can change addy on DL online. Maybe not while suspended. You can make payments on the surcharge, just be sure you make them or they will suspend your license if not paid.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Teching In

So I won't get a ticket for an open container? Cold beer sitting in the cupholder and I blow below legal BAC I'm not going to jail?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by purple_lean
So I won't get a ticket for an open container? Cold beer sitting in the cupholder and I blow below legal BAC I'm not going to jail?
no jail $500 ticket....... even if someone in the backseat is drinking everyone in the car gets a $500 ticket
Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that **** happened to me too. i got a no insurance ticket on my R6 in like 05...in 06 i had moved to go to school and they waited 7 months to even send me the bill for the surcharge?? well they sent it to the wrong place and i rolled around in houston street racing pretty much EVERY night with a suspended license for almost a year haha until i renewed my license online and it wouldnt let me. finnaly paid it and then the same **** happened in 07 they didnt tell me i had to pay the **** for 3 years in a row!! long story short ive got my license suspended every year because i forget about it and i move alot haha but it is all done with now