Drove through high water! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove through high water! HELP!!!

Yesterday, I drove through high water, and a car passing by pushed the water on my hood. my car died. i started it up again, and it started up for a second then died again. i got out and pushed my car up on the side of the road. when i tried starting it again, it makes a sound as if someone starts the car, then turns the key again. a grinding noise like that, but much louder. the motor doesnt even move. then that night, i tried messing with it again, and the battery shorted out. is my motor hydrolocked, or could it be something else?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:57 PM

If it's hydrolocked because of water entering the engine (weather), the damage may be already done. Have one of our local vendors check it for you. This may be a case that you may have to file with your insurance company. They will repair it for you upon your deductible.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Banned

Sounds hydrolocked, sucks man
Old 04-18-2009, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

worst case, yank all the plugs, rotate engine by hand 3-4 full turns and try again. . .maybe squirt a smidge of wd-40 or starter fluid into there before plugging the cylinders... thats the cheap fix if it works
Old 04-18-2009, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Default car

it sounds hydolocked where are you located?
Old 04-18-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

that sucks but yeah motor is gone
Old 04-18-2009, 04:35 PM
LS7 Member

Whey would you drive an fbody through high water? As stated, it sounds like it's hydro locked.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like it's hydrolocked to me. That sucks man, sorry to hear the bad news.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Teching In

now thats bad, sorry. hope you get it fixed soon.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

oh yeah, drain your oil too. . .
Old 04-18-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

You broke a lot of **** in there most likely....
Old 04-18-2009, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

I'll be the the first to suggest that you hydrolocked your motor, sucks...

I've done that before (in another car), spun a bearing in the process...
Old 04-19-2009, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quickblue2
I'll be the the first to suggest that you hydrolocked your motor, sucks...

I've done that before (in another car), spun a bearing in the process...
LMAO.

Distressed ls1techer not paying attention to own thread F.T.L.. Unless he's gathered that his engine is hydrolocked, idk how lol... Sorry to hear dude. Just remember high water = no fly zone for fbodies...
Old 04-19-2009, 05:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking as someone who spends a LOT of time off highway and in deep water...
You're screwed. Anytime you think you even MIGHT have sucked water into the intake, you need to pull all the plugs and crank the engine over to pump all the water out. You've probably destroyed pistons, rods and bearings.

And you ought to be charged with Vehicular Homicide for killing an FBody by driving into deep water.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:25 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well before jumping to conclusions right away I would pull the plugs buy a truck starter as you probably broke yours when you tried to restart it. I would then turn it over a few times with out the plugs to pump out the water, and then install new plugs and see what happens. Ask Stangs Bane. He did the same thing a year or two ago and well he drove the stocker for a while with out any issues. But no promises or guarantee's just a cheap way to possibly fix a vehicle if you don't have full coverage or don't want someone to total your car etc... It just depends cause what happens is sometime the water will kill the motor by blocking the air into the motor then the water that made it into the intake will enter the cylinders that have the intake valves open, and then when you try to restart it will not compress the water and usually will break the starter/ the edge of the block where the starter bolt and that is why I tell you to get a truck starter they use the long bolts on both of the mounting locations and will work with even just one bolt etc... If it was running and then the water actually entered the cylinders well then its done for usually.GL!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Well before jumping to conclusions right away I would pull the plugs buy a truck starter as you probably broke yours when you tried to restart it. I would then turn it over a few times with out the plugs to pump out the water, and then install new plugs and see what happens. Ask Stangs Bane. He did the same thing a year or two ago and well he drove the stocker for a while with out any issues. But no promises or guarantee's just a cheap way to possibly fix a vehicle if you don't have full coverage or don't want someone to total your car etc... It just depends cause what happens is sometime the water will kill the motor by blocking the air into the motor then the water that made it into the intake will enter the cylinders that have the intake valves open, and then when you try to restart it will not compress the water and usually will break the starter/ the edge of the block where the starter bolt and that is why I tell you to get a truck starter they use the long bolts on both of the mounting locations and will work with even just one bolt etc... If it was running and then the water actually entered the cylinders well then its done for usually.GL!
Exactly.

Inspector 12 Carbon and I pulled the plugs and air filter. Then we push started it. After we got it running, I drove it to a tire store and had them change the oil TWICE. After that I drove it another 2 months down here and then drove it all the way to Minnesota. As far as I know that same engine in pushing fox body down the track now...
Old 04-19-2009, 09:28 AM
8 Sec Tuner

Originally Posted by photoman9988
Yesterday, I drove through high water, and a car passing by pushed the water on my hood. my car died. i started it up again, and it started up for a second then died again. i got out and pushed my car up on the side of the road. when i tried starting it again, it makes a sound as if someone starts the car, then turns the key again. a grinding noise like that, but much louder. the motor doesnt even move. then that night, i tried messing with it again, and the battery shorted out. is my motor hydrolocked, or could it be something else?

Its toast. Send the car to us. I can handle your insurance claim and do all the work.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Before trying to start it up in the water. You should of pushed the car out the water. Then had your oil chaged and spark plugs .And you would have be to go.But since oyu turned it over in the water.More than likely the motor is fixing to hydrolocked
Old 04-19-2009, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah, never try to restart it after it floods out... that's when you bend or break rods. Push or tow it out, pull the plugs and turn it over.. change oil and plugs, and you may get lucky. I had to do this with my Z71 after it saw 5 ft of water, lol. But mine was too late and I bent one rod.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, send it to a good shop like G-Force, he already said he would handle all the insurance. All you have to pay is the deductable

Quick Reply: Drove through high water! HELP!!!