New Texas Bill, CHL owners allowed to carry on campus

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Texas Bill, CHL owners allowed to carry on campus

What do you guys think about this? This will not allow schools and campus' to ban CHL holders to carrying on campus.

I have my thoughts, what are yours?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I think that's one of the places we need to carry the most...

There were a couple of times when I accidentally carried mine into class inside my purse; but I felt safer. Just in case something went down, yanno?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:48 PM
RCC
On The Tree

Its about time the government did something smart.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

you guys are so lucky! God I cant wait to get back to Texas! You know how hard it is to get a ccw permit here? And you cant hardly carry it anywhere. Enjoy your freedom, because some of us just don't have it like yall do!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

texas > *
Old 04-24-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

its funny that most liberals who are pro gun control think that a criminal that is going to commit a gun related crime will follow those gun control rules, hah. And UH is the most dangerous place I go, and I cant even have it in my car, or even up to the property line, **** YOU
Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this will be a very good thing for us. Schools like VA Tech are attacked because people know they are vulnerable.

In the '97 Pearl High shootings the Vice Principal had his gun locked up in his truck. The kid doing the shooting dropped his gun as soon as he saw a .45 pointed at his head. Had the vp been allowed to carry on campus, much less people would have lost their lives.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
its funny that most liberals who are pro gun control think that a criminal that is going to commit a gun related crime will follow those gun control rules, hah. And UH is the most dangerous place I go, and I cant even have it in my car, or even up to the property line, **** YOU
??? I thought it was perfectly legal to have your gun in your car in the parking lots. At least that's what I remember from my CHL class. Did something change?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Corny40
??? I thought it was perfectly legal to have your gun in your car in the parking lots. At least that's what I remember from my CHL class. Did something change?
From what I remeber and was well emphasized was this...

Federal buildings you can have in the car, their property(as far as gun control goes) begins at the door. So you can be on the sidewalk up to the building, but inside the walls is a no no.

ANY school their property begins(again gun control) begins at the curb. You cant be on the curb, the grass next to the sidewalk, the parking lot, etc. They even said school zones were testy. They said the gun control nuts were looking for a case to test with someone driving through a school zone. So up til this bill(which I am hoping passes) you're not even supposed to drive in a school carrying

This is what I was told
Old 04-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Is this bill actually going through right now, or is it just something that has been proposed? I hope it passes because i'm in school for a good chunk of time, and after carrying everywhere you definately feel like you are missing something and are vulnerable when you can't carry.....Not to say I haven't accidentally come to class with it a few times
Old 04-25-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

UH is sending out emails and what not talking about it. I have no idea about the stage of it, just the idea of it
Old 04-25-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

CLICK

^^That is the link for the Texas Legislation and it says this is to be enacted Sept 1, 2009, I assume that is if it passes, or maybe it has already passed, I do not know enough or follow enough of politics to know.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

This would be great. A nutjob shot another member of the staff at my wife's campus last year right up the hall from her. I hate the thought of my wife having to go to class and be defenseless.

And UH is the most dangerous place I go, and I cant even have it in my car, or even up to the property line, **** YOU
I had a long detailed explanation of the law typed out for you but then I accidentally erased it, so I'll just say this:

It is 100% legal for you to have your firearm in your vehicle in the parking lot of UH, and here is the law for you:

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;

(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or

(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.
Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;
(1) "Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035.

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
See, 100% legal.

They said the gun control nuts were looking for a case to test with someone driving through a school zone. So up til this bill(which I am hoping passes) you're not even supposed to drive in a school carrying

This is what I was told
That was not in Texas as school zones have no legal bearing except in regards to the speed limit.

CLICK

^^That is the link for the Texas Legislation and it says this is to be enacted Sept 1, 2009, I assume that is if it passes, or maybe it has already passed, I do not know enough or follow enough of politics to know.
It has not passed yet and the reality is that it probably won't. It has a LOT of opposition from liberals. They will most likely attach it to some nutjob bill that we can't afford to pass so we can't pass this one. I really hope it goes through but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by LS1nterceptor; 04-25-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a high hope for it and the castle doctorine was passed last year? or the year before, but recently, so hopefully
Old 04-25-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

You can carry on campus everywhere but inside the buildings unless they have a 30.06 prohibiting it on the premises (like Texas Tech does).
Old 04-26-2009, 12:58 AM
12 Second Club

I go to UT and there are a ton of people who are against the bill. Most don't know their facts or dont even fully understand how a CHL works, from my experience.

Originally Posted by obseSSed
There were a couple of times when I accidentally carried mine into class inside my purse; but I felt safer. Just in case something went down, yanno?
This is what I wish the people would understand, there is nothing stopping people from bringing weapons on campus already. People who commit crimes dont care about the laws. We're only talking about making it so the law abiding citizens can carry legally and defend themselves/others if need be.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigSteele
I go to UT and there are a ton of people who are against the bill. Most don't know their facts or dont even fully understand how a CHL works, from my experience.

This is what I wish the people would understand, there is nothing stopping people from bringing weapons on campus already. People who commit crimes dont care about the laws. We're only talking about making it so the law abiding citizens can carry legally and defend themselves/others if need be.

Well there's your problem right there

Seriously though, its Austin, its going to stay weird...
Old 04-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TexZ
You can carry on campus everywhere but inside the buildings unless they have a 30.06 prohibiting it on the premises (like Texas Tech does).
My chl instructor told our class you can carry anywhere on school property but inside the buildings
Old 04-27-2009, 01:44 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I think if you licensed, then why not be able to cary anywhere except a place that makes its money off booze.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

nice idea...

Quick Reply: New Texas Bill, CHL owners allowed to carry on campus