Moving to Dallas - where's a good area near UTA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving to Dallas - where's a good area near UTA?

I'm going to be attending UTA in a couple of weeks, and I'm looking for something with a 2-car garage. I'm not sure if I'm going to rent or buy yet, but nevertheless, I need to find a decent area to look in. Mansfield seems nice, but a bit pricey (for a college student, anyways). I'm looking at maybe Grand Prairie, and of course, Arlington. My main concern is to stay out of the ghetto - I'd like to not stress out about getting my sh*t jacked. So, where are some good areas that I should look into?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

I have a house in south Arlington that I am actually looking to sell. 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage. It's a nice house, but when I met my wife, hers was nicer. Arlington is also offering $7500 at closing to first time buyers on top of the $8000 from the government. If you would like, PM me for more details.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would definately stay south of I-20
Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Okay, so south of I-20 - what areas should I avoid?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude there is a really nice neighborhood in West Arlington. You will dead end into it if you drive west down Abrams. Five minutes from college, and I lived there for 7 years and never once had or heard of anyone really having any problems there. It is an old neighborhood with a lot of older folks in it. You can also find it by taking a right at Norwood of of Park Row. I am sure you can find a house for rent down there somewhere.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks - I'll check out this weekend.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

i lived in arlington awhile and you can stay north of I-20 considering that the school is located almost to 30. so stay somewhere around the school area there are nice places you just need to look.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:38 AM
Staging Lane

Alright, so for the last two weeks I had a house that I was planning on moving into today (available september 1st) and I had been keeping constant communication with the landlord. The house is located on varsity circle, which is literally a 3 minute walk to campus. For the last two days I've been trying to get a hold of him without success. I drive by the house today to find his van and two other vehicles there. I stopped and asked him what was going on, and he basically dropped the bomb on me and gave it to someone else. Pisses me off, I offered to pay the deposit two weeks ago and he told me just to save it until I moved in. Yeah, I really had my hopes set on this one - 3/2/2 with a 4-car carport in the backyard (perfect!), didn't have to pay for uta parking, and got free wireless, compliments of uta. F&$^&$*#!!!!!!!!!!!!

So anyways, I'm back to looking for houses again, and I found a 4 bedroom 4 car garage for about the same rent as the other one, but it's like a 20 min. drive from the campus. It's located nearby the sublett /matlock intersection, just south of cravens park, and a bit southwest of arlington's airport. I didn't know if anyone had any experience with this area. Any crime statistics I look at scares the sh*t outta me and makes me want to run as far away from Arlington as possible, but I don't have much of a choice...soo....anyone?
Old 09-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think that area is all that bad down there, especially if there is a garage.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats not really a bad area.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Cool, thanks - hopefully I'll get it.