House hunting: Who's got a lift at home?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default House hunting: Who's got a lift at home?

I'm looking for a house out in the Pearland area, and I'm not sure whether I'm going to do the standard suburban route with a 3 car garage or buy some property out in Brookside Village and build a metal building (shop) to work on the cars. I definitely want a lift (prefer 2 post, but I could make do with a 4 post). So, who's got a lift?

- Anyone got one in a standard height residential garage?
- Feel free to post pics and ceiling height so I can get a feel for how tight it gets.
- What do you like/dislike about it?

I know they make some low clearance 4-posts for residential garages, but they tend to be expensive so if you don't mind approx. how much did you spend and was that new or used? Is it anchored or free standing? Movable or stationary?

Thanks

Last edited by C5RUZR; 08-20-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I looked into it, but when I factored in the cost of installation, electrical, plus clearance with the garage ceiling (and, more importantly, the door), I've decided to get a Kwiklift instead.

-Mike
Old 08-20-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

I would suggest going with the metal building route so you can have a full size 2 post, but depending on the height of your garage you might get away with this, http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...fts-p/tp7a.htm.
I have a 2 post in my shop, and paid just under 4k for it installed and wired, but since half of the shop is for commercial use (semi truck service) the lift needed to be osha certified and inspected after the install etc. all of which drove the price up. In a private residence you could probably get a good 2 post for 2-3k, less if you install and wire yourself.
To my knowledge all 2 post lifts must be bolted to the garage floor, and the concrete needs to be thick enough (4" IIRC)
You will LOVE having a lift.

Last edited by 1slow01Z71; 08-20-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: moved pic to narrow post
Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

i have that same lift in two of my shops, it cost about 4k wired and installed. i HIGHLY recommend having it professionally installed! alot of the lift vendors will bring it to you and install it onsite. our lift is roughly 10-12 feet tall, itd never fit in a standard garage. one of my neighbors back in the woodlands had 3 four post lifts in his garage. had 6 vettes in those three bays. pretty bad ***.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:28 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got one at my house. I have a standard two car garage and a 35x35 metal building with a 2 post car lift bought it used for 1200 and picked it up and installed it myself with help of a few others. Tore it down and put it up in about 4-5 hours with a 45 minute drive. Best money I spent for working on cars customers and my own LOL! I live off of Oday rd in an older neighborhood everyone is on about .75 acres. I'm on almost 2, and everyone just about has a large garage or shop etc... GL.
Jeff
Old 08-20-2009, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Jeff that's the area I'm trying to find something in. Did you have the shop put up or was it existing? Is its big enough or how big would you like? With the tools and lift, how many cars would fit comfortably (assuming they're not double stacked) Is your shop insulated? Set up for climate control?
Do you know of anyone around you selling that may not be on MLS?

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Got one at my house. I have a standard two car garage and a 35x35 metal building with a 2 post car lift bought it used for 1200 and picked it up and installed it myself with help of a few others. Tore it down and put it up in about 4-5 hours with a 45 minute drive. Best money I spent for working on cars customers and my own LOL! I live off of Oday rd in an older neighborhood everyone is on about .75 acres. I'm on almost 2, and everyone just about has a large garage or shop etc... GL.
Jeff
Old 08-20-2009, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone know about MaxJax? Looks neat. Wouldn't be able to park anything underneath obviously, and at the lift height, it could get awkward not being able to stand up but too high for a creeper. You'd have to use a stool of some sort which could be tough for torquing things and being in the right position to do so.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a shop built next to my house in 1999. Back then, the 24x40 shop was under 10K and the slab and driveway was $8K.

But only 10' sidewalls and a 13' 6" peak

I installed an American Equipment 2 post lift and the clear floor model wouldn't fit. I needed another 6" of clearance. So, I opted for the floor plate version. It's a PITA.

So, I suggest you build a metal shop, make it as big as you possibly can and go with 12' side walls.

If you are a midget, the maxjack might be OK. Otherwise, get something that will lift your car over 6' off the ground. Also, I don't see the benefit of the MJ over a good floor jack and jack stands. Both look like the same effort to get the car inadequately high enough off the ground.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brookside Village is a nice place, I live there. You can hire the guys that hang out at the corner store of Brookside Road and Mykawa when you want to build your garage, they do a good job.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Teching In

I have a Rotary 7k 2 post and I believe it requires about 12'6". I already had 220v in my shop, so wiring it took 20 minutes. As long as you have a good concrete bit the anchors really aren't a problem either.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C5RUZR
Anyone know about MaxJax? Looks neat. Wouldn't be able to park anything underneath obviously, and at the lift height, it could get awkward not being able to stand up but too high for a creeper. You'd have to use a stool of some sort which could be tough for torquing things and being in the right position to do so.

Looks like a back breaker/neck killer. Sure. You could get a stool, but screw that. I'd rather just have a full size lift.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:06 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by C5RUZR
Jeff that's the area I'm trying to find something in. Did you have the shop put up or was it existing? Is its big enough or how big would you like? With the tools and lift, how many cars would fit comfortably (assuming they're not double stacked) Is your shop insulated? Set up for climate control?
Do you know of anyone around you selling that may not be on MLS?
The shop was here, and it wasn't insulated so I am working on that and I have an A/C unit for it but not working until I have finished insulating it etc... I had my friend from Gallant Garage coated my floor in the big shop, I have run more power to run all the electrical stuff with etc... The house has another 2 car garage and it is insulated and A/C'd so I can do a lot of work over there that doesn't require a lift etc... So I don't have all my tools over there, but with all the stuff my wife put over there I can honestly say that I could put 3 car in there with all the tools and 4 if I double stack two of them with all the tools. And I could put one more lift comfortably and a third if I was just trying to get more cars in there which I am good with one lift currently. I know of one place that is for sale that is a steal of a deal on 3.3 acres with no shop. LMK if you want to know its location and I'll tell you I have been keeping my eye on it for an investment property etc...
Jeff
Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 AM
Teching In

I have a lift with a 10' ceiling height. I am short so I can get under the car easily. If you are 6' you can get under depending on the car.

Here are a couple pics

Old pics, I can take some more if this is a route you want to go to. The lift goes higher than the transmission jack I have so I can't even lift the car all the way up for removal of some items. At 6' I would say the Bendpak lowprofile lift is perfect. Past that, go with something else for your own comfort.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Originally Posted by F8L SNK
I have a lift with a 10' ceiling height. I am short so I can get under the car easily. If you are 6' you can get under depending on the car.

Here are a couple pics

Old pics, I can take some more if this is a route you want to go to. The lift goes higher than the transmission jack I have so I can't even lift the car all the way up for removal of some items. At 6' I would say the Bendpak lowprofile lift is perfect. Past that, go with something else for your own comfort.
You must get that car within a couple inches of the ceiling? I know my car is about 48" tall. I would think a viper is close. I can just picture the car going up with the hood or trunk open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: House hunting: Who's got a lift at home?