AT&T vs. Verizon vs. Comcast

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 06:23 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AT&T vs. Verizon vs. Comcast

Alright so I (just like many others) am done dealing with Comcast's bullshit costumer service and policies.

It seems as though since Comcast took over Time Warner Houston a lot of people have switced to ATT or Verizon's Fios (badass Fiber Optic Networks).

To share my experience...

Like i said before Comcast's terrible customer service and thier Go **** Yourself attitude drove me away to ATT. I must say I like the change. I live in an apt and ATT's DSL (advertised at 1.5 MBS) is much faster and more stabe than Comcast internet (advertised at 12MBS). I dont know why a slower network is works faster. It just does.

My question for you guys is have any of you had similar experiences. Even better does anyone here have FIOS TV or interent they would like to share a review?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Banned

i work for fios and i could get you the best deal send me a pm
Old 08-20-2009, 06:33 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TPRDFW
i work for fios and i could get you the best deal send me a pm
normally i would take you up on that offer but fios is not available to me.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

i agree comcast blows i cant wait for At&t to be available in my area
Old 08-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Launching!

I had comcast during the timewarner crap and then switched to ATT Uverse, and will never go back. ATT cust svc has been great, very few problems with svc and inet speeds are great even with their basic speed.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

AT&T is great. The service techs were a great help.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

**** man att has TERRIBLE customer service. I had time warner, and yeah it sucked but damn was their customer service 10 times better. It is damn near impossible to get something done with att, and forget it if it is on the weekend! I have been with them 2 months and am happy with the service (except for only 1 tv in the house being able to watch hd) but their service is absolutely terrible.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Banned

verizon is by far the fastest and most reliable out there. ppl are dying to have it avaible in their area if you can get it GET IT!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ATT dominates, I sell it alll day long, with little to no complaints. If you want ATT hit me up, and I can help you with any customer service issues any of you have.

NO contract.
NO setup fees.
NO equipment fees.
NO installation fees.
NO cancellation fees.
BEST DVR set up of all companies.
Great selection of channels

Oh and now in most places you can get internet speeds up to 18mbps if desired!

If you dont think we are worth the money, you dont have to have us, no obligations.

David

Last edited by camarodave98; 08-21-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:10 AM
9 Second Club

I have AT&T U-Verse in my apt. I get 6mb down through their internet, and have the U-200 for Cable. Imo, U-Verse is WAY better than when I had Comcast at my parent's house. AT&T uses DSL, but can still get 18mb down if you want.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Launching!

man, i so WISH that the AT&T Uverse was available in my area. My buddy has it and it's awesome! I freakin' hate Comcast
Old 08-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Any Time Warner Road Runner techs (or have a tech contact) on here? I have had HS internet for years at my home office in Carrollton (NW Dallas). Same hardware, used to be Comcast and before that, someone else. For the past 3 months or so, I lose pretty much an hour a day, normally between 10:00 AM and 11:00 AM. It appears that the gateway for my connection goes down for 5-10 minute periods. I can post up or email a graphic that shows the problem. I think we will move in the next year or so or I would be changing to another provider now. I may anyway as this problem seems to be getting worse. Customer Service is very pleasant but nothing gets done.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by superfreakws6
**** man att has TERRIBLE customer service.
i beg to differ. Some of us techs go out of our way to do more for our customers than anyother company out there. You just have to be patient. at&t has more than a million U-Verse subscribers so getting a tech out there isnt easy. If you have had a tech go out to your house and you are still having problems you should consider contacting thier manager and getting it resolved.

Originally Posted by superfreakws6
It is damn near impossible to get something done with att, and forget it if it is on the weekend! I have been with them 2 months and am happy with the service (except for only 1 tv in the house being able to watch hd) but their service is absolutely terrible.
What is it you need done on the weekend that cant be done during the week?

LMK
Old 08-21-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

I've had Verizon DSL for almost a year (switched from Comcast), no problems. Would love to have fios.........
Old 08-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Teching In

I have only one complaint with ATT, their HD quality. They do however have the largest number of HD channels, but they still compress their streams more than the other guys. ATT blows every other company out of the water in every other category as far as im concerned. I would like some more info on the verizon fios though. I've heard some good rumors...
Old 08-22-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Switched from Comcast to Uverse. Same package was $70/month cheaper with Uverse. The only problems I've had are:
  • HD quality. I get lots of pauses and pixelation on the HD channels.
  • 4 hour shutoff. I have a Tivo and the Uverse DVR. I use the Uverse DVR for HD recording and the Tivo for the rest. Problem is, I frequently record "Press OK to watch TV", as the power-saving mode of the Uverse box kicks in. I have a buddy at work who setup his Tivo to record one minute of ESPN or ESPN2 (cycles between them) every four hours, just to keep the box "awake". It would be nice if this feature could be disabled.

In the grand scheme of things, these are VERY minor gripes. The service flat-out works, and the internet service has been very speedy.

-Mike
Old 08-23-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Switched from Comcast to Uverse. Same package was $70/month cheaper with Uverse. The only problems I've had are:
  • HD quality. I get lots of pauses and pixelation on the HD channels.
  • 4 hour shutoff. I have a Tivo and the Uverse DVR. I use the Uverse DVR for HD recording and the Tivo for the rest. Problem is, I frequently record "Press OK to watch TV", as the power-saving mode of the Uverse box kicks in. I have a buddy at work who setup his Tivo to record one minute of ESPN or ESPN2 (cycles between them) every four hours, just to keep the box "awake". It would be nice if this feature could be disabled.

In the grand scheme of things, these are VERY minor gripes. The service flat-out works, and the internet service has been very speedy.

-Mike

We get the pixelation issues here as well but not so often. Ours doesn't go into power savings mode, I would ask someone about that. We have HD in two rooms and are pleased with the service/package.

Quick Reply: AT&T vs. Verizon vs. Comcast