Why did I pick engineering as my major?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by at1024
I hate to say it but the hardest part of many careers right now is not so much the actual training, but the networking and finding a job.
Exactly. That is what colleges should be teaching kids. The ONLY reason I had a job lines up after my graduation was because I knew someone.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KCS;
I plan on going into ME once I finish my Associates here at a community college here in Conroe. Any advice?
Make sure that the University that you are going to will accept you as core complete so that you can transfer in without wasting a lot of time due to classes that they will not accept. I was in NHMCCD (now Lonestar)... Lets just say I should be done already. Take the time to call the University, get them to send you the "transfer student" degree plan so you can get and idea of what you will still need to take (it will also let you do a quick "sanity" check of the classes you have taken vs the classes the university wants you to have completed to be a transfer student).

Aside from that do the homework. Don't be afraid to go to the SI sessions, and tutoring labs if necessary (even it it's only for a short time to make sure you have the idea). Like someone else already said, there are a few "weedout" classes and that's where Engineering School sends a lot of people to Business School, I've seen several people that would have made good engineers change their majors because they had so much going on that they couldn't spend enough time studying...they worked to much...it sucks, but it happens. You have to want it...

Originally Posted by Bash
**** try handling a part time job, a broken car and a double major in two fields separate from each other ...
It's one thing to relate....it's another to start a pissing contest over a situation you created yourself.... that's as stupid as the truck guys chiming in on a gas mileage thread...
Old 09-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ryan keep with it good things will come...and next time your in town stop by the shop...been building tons of lt1 cars...and lmk if you know anyone that needs work
Old 09-26-2009, 01:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a social life during my college years and I now don't have a bachelor's degree. Luckily, I have a good job that pays well. However, I assure you I'd be making more money if I had put my social life on hold for those 2 years.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I had a social life during my college years and I now don't have a bachelor's degree. Luckily, I have a good job that pays well. However, I assure you I'd be making more money if I had put my social life on hold for those 2 years.
I socialized with his social life as well and never finished anything. Go ahead and finish what you have started, it will all be worth it. I am sitting in a cubicle right now designing a pipeline meter station when I could be in one of those nice offices in front of me running calcs and counting dollars.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Teching In

You should have gone with general studies FTW!!!!!!! lol
Old 09-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
I started off as a mechanical engineer major and made the switch over to computer science my freshman year. It was too much for me, and very nerve racking/boring. I've loved CS since, and don't regret making the change at all. I figured I was better at computers/OSs/programming than I am at math/stats/dynamics/thermal energy/whatever

You should reconsider what you really LOVE and have a passion for, rather than thinking about dollar bills after you graduate. No matter how much money engineers make, I would rather be in a nice cozy office programming the next AAA title for the XBOX 360.

Took me a bit to get my CS BS with the college of engineering and I nearly switched to business at one point. Glad I stuck with it after it was all done though.

On another note WRECK EM TECH! Skin some cougar high kitties!
Old 09-26-2009, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Something that seems to get most people is they do not like doing engineering. I just started and I love mechanical engineering even though I'm going through the hardest weedout classes of my life. So my only advice for you is if you do not like it...do something different. Otherwise if I were you I would kick my self in the ***... quit that part time job and get with the program. Thats what I have to do every day because engineering needs discipline and study skills.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:05 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by A_W_O_L
Make sure that the University that you are going to will accept you as core complete so that you can transfer in without wasting a lot of time due to classes that they will not accept. I was in NHMCCD (now Lonestar)... Lets just say I should be done already. Take the time to call the University, get them to send you the "transfer student" degree plan so you can get and idea of what you will still need to take (it will also let you do a quick "sanity" check of the classes you have taken vs the classes the university wants you to have completed to be a transfer student).

Aside from that do the homework. Don't be afraid to go to the SI sessions, and tutoring labs if necessary (even it it's only for a short time to make sure you have the idea). Like someone else already said, there are a few "weedout" classes and that's where Engineering School sends a lot of people to Business School, I've seen several people that would have made good engineers change their majors because they had so much going on that they couldn't spend enough time studying...they worked to much...it sucks, but it happens. You have to want it...
Thanks for the reply. I remember you telling me about all the crap you went through. That is one thing I am trying to avoid. I'm at Lonestar too, so it seems I really need to check and double check on that. Other than that issue, I am down for the schoolwork! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:38 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglepassbird
man im in your same shoes right now heck im posting this while studying for a damn thermo test i got tomorrow

and also to THEBLURLS1 you went to Lamar University right if so got any tips for a student of mechanical engineer
Lamar is great. One of the professors, you'll think, is totally out of his ******* mind, but he's one of the best professors there. I use the stuff that he taught me every day at work. You will find that 90% of getting through is teamwork. Getting help, solutions manuals, old tests, splitting up projects, etc, is the way to get by. I used to do every thing I could to leave school and come home (even if it was just an hour break, I live 5 minutes from Lamar). I started just staying at the school and doing my work, **** started going a lot smoother.

The biggest key to doing well is not procrastinating. I didn't learn that until my last semester lol.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:50 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I really hated all of the studying and zero social life when I was pursuing my ME degree. My biz major buddies were out partying every night, going to class hungover, joining frats, and I was studying.

I made up for it after I graduated, when I could afford new cars, nicer places to live, top shelf alcohol and women....while my biz degreed pals were making half the salary and looking for the "cheap beer night" type bars.

That is why
Old 09-26-2009, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

most of the ME's i work with are a bunch of tards when it comes to general knowledge. they know the **** out of their job, but sometimes i wonder how they stand on their own two feet.

that being said, they make close to $130-150K a year. i have no college, just 4 years as a Marine and i make @ 40K less than them as a Procurement Coordinator.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

It really isn't that bad if you have a pretty good study group. And yes, it'll be worth it once you graduate. Just keep at it, and know that it'll be worth it once you do finish. Good luck! You've got quite a ways to go!
Old 09-26-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
im in the same boat as you are bro... this is my 5th year in college but only my second year in ME. I almost gave up at cal 1 lol. Are you in MET or MEE? Seems like every semester I get a bad grade on one of my first tests and I just wanna quit and go into a business degree or something but I know I would hate being in an office all day doing paper work. I think in the long run we will definately enjoy it, I just dont want a job that I hate going to... if it makes alot of money or not.
Hey man do you live in the forum? I know I have seen your car up there. Im doing MEE, what all classes are you taking right now?
Old 09-26-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LoudGM
You should have gone with general studies FTW!!!!!!! lol
HAHAHA, whats going on? Hows the formula?
Old 09-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Launching!

i ask myself the same but when i think about the future, i smile! im doin ME at uh, so if you are there, hit me up, can can study or something
Old 09-26-2009, 07:41 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by imlooking
most of the ME's i work with are a bunch of tards when it comes to general knowledge. they know the **** out of their job, but sometimes i wonder how they stand on their own two feet.
Sadly, this is all too true. There are hundreds who graduate each year with the same degree as me (which pisses me off), and are complete ******* morons. Most don't even "know the **** out of their job", and you can forget anything else.

I think the first problem is people who say to high school kids "You're good at math and science? You should go to engineering school!" The second problem is these same people make it through school for the same reasons, graduate, and have no idea what is going on once they get into the real world. There's a difference between "passing the tests" and "knowing what is going on". This leads to all the "dumb *** engineer" comments I'm all too familiar with. The stigma associated with engineers rides both ends of the spectrum, you're either smart as hell, or totally stupid lol.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:45 PM
That's what she said...

PS - Here's some motivation lol. I hated this document when I graduated jobless (economy), but now I'm incredibly proud of myself for earning it. I hope all of you guys who are roughing it through right now will come to have the same feeling.......

Old 09-26-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00fastta
quit that part time job and get with the program. Thats what I have to do every day because engineering needs discipline and study skills.
I am waiting on a student loan to get here and I am quitting my job. I really don't want to go into debt with loans but I cant handle school, job, and fraternity anymore. Ive got to cut something out of the mix, and my job will give me an extra 20 to 25 hours a week, and all day tues thurs to go to help sessions.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
PS - Here's some motivation lol. I hated this document when I graduated jobless (economy), but now I'm incredibly proud of myself for earning it. I hope all of you guys who are roughing it through right now will come to have the same feeling.......
Thanks, im going to edit that with my name for some motivation! Make it my wallpaper or something so I always see it.

Quick Reply: Why did I pick engineering as my major?