Hand Gun Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009 | 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Hand Gun Question

I just bought a couple of pistols from this guy, and I want to confirm that they are not stolen, aside from calling the police is there another way to check the numbers, I have a bill of sale, but I just want to make sure. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2009 | 07:48 AM
Launching!

try stolenweapon.com
Old 10-15-2009 | 08:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02 WS-6
I just bought a couple of pistols from this guy, and I want to confirm that they are not stolen, aside from calling the police is there another way to check the numbers, I have a bill of sale, but I just want to make sure. Thanks.
As long as you don't do anything illegal with them what's it matter? No one will ever know. If you have a CHL that could be an issue.

You'd have to take him to court to get your money back if they were stolen...

Kind of a risk from buying from an individual, but then again you typically get awesome prices too. Love the fact you can still buy face to face in Texas
Old 10-15-2009 | 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

just a question, but if you were wondering if the were stolen, shouldn't you have found out about it before you bought them?
Old 10-15-2009 | 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Write the serial numbers down and take that to a local gun salesman and ask him to run the numbers. I.ve done that before
Old 10-15-2009 | 04:34 PM
Launching!

I wouldn't take a chance buying a gun from someone that I didn't know. The gun could have been used in a crime, that would be totally bigger headache.
Old 10-15-2009 | 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok guys thanks for the information and advice, to clarify things a bit, the weapons were bought from a private gun dealer at a gun show, but the only paperwork that I received was a bill of sale. I think it's legit; I just would like to make 100% sure before I find out the hard way. I felt good about the whole transaction but just want to make sure as the old saying goes "better safe than sorry". Thanks again for the responses/advice and if you can add anything else, I would appreciate it.
Old 10-15-2009 | 07:56 PM
Launching!

They didn't transfer ownership to you. I don't think that would fly in Kansas.
Old 10-15-2009 | 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chargerR/T
just a question, but if you were wondering if the were stolen, shouldn't you have found out about it before you bought them?
captain obvious says yes
Old 10-15-2009 | 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ddcarter
They didn't transfer ownership to you. I don't think that would fly in Kansas.
Todo, I don't think were in Kansas any more J/K I had to do it, might not ever get the opportunity ever again.

From what I was told was that you don't have to transfer ownership when dealing with a private dealer in Texas, and Also from what I've been told, you don't have to register in Texas if you so choose not to. also from what I've been told you don't need any paperwork, but These are the things that I'm trying to confirm. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2009 | 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

From what I was told was that you don't have to transfer ownership when dealing with a private dealer in Texas, and Also from what I've been told, you don't have to register in Texas if you so choose not to. also from what I've been told you don't need any paperwork, but These are the things that I'm trying to confirm. Thanks.
that might all be true for just owning it, but if you ever decide to "use it" then i think it would pose a huge problem... sounds like you're trying to cut corners somewhere... i know a few people that couldn't legally buy a gun from a dealer or get a chl but yet they can legally buy guns from private individuals who originally purchased the gun legally through a dealer... that's pretty shitty if you ask me
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by neutron82
that might all be true for just owning it, but if you ever decide to "use it" then i think it would pose a huge problem... sounds like you're trying to cut corners somewhere... i know a few people that couldn't legally buy a gun from a dealer or get a chl but yet they can legally buy guns from private individuals who originally purchased the gun legally through a dealer... that's pretty shitty if you ask me

That is not what’s going on here at all. Obama just passed a law that ALL guns registered in your name you will have to pay a $50 tax per gun per year, so allot of people are buying up guns and keeping them unregistered so when the government tries to disarm us there’s not a record. The purpose was to make sure since this is the first time I've bought a gun that wasn't registered that it was legit so in case I get pulled over going to the range or such I don't have to worry about anything. So I hope that by your comment that you weren’t insinuating that I was deliberately breaking any laws.

BTW people that can’t buy guns have guns and don’t care about the legality of it.
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

That is not what’s going on here at all. Obama just passed a law that ALL guns registered in your name you will have to pay a $50 tax per gun per year, so allot of people are buying up guns and keeping them unregistered so when the government tries to disarm us there’s not a record. The purpose was to make sure since this is the first time I've bought a gun that wasn't registered that it was legit so in case I get pulled over going to the range or such I don't have to worry about anything. So I hope that by your comment that you weren’t insinuating that I was deliberately breaking any laws.

BTW people that can’t buy guns have guns and don’t care about the legality of it.
$50 per gun per year? Yeah right, that one will never make it. What are they gonna do, send out a bill to every gun owner? That is a bogus bill, and nothing more than a bill.
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
$50 per gun per year? Yeah right, that one will never make it. What are they gonna do, send out a bill to every gun owner? That is a bogus bill, and nothing more than a bill.
This administration hasn't been very gun friendly and whether or not it passes why take the chance.
Old 10-16-2009 | 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

This administration hasn't been very gun friendly and whether or not it passes why take the chance.
Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw the other day.

"When guns become outlawed, I will be an outlaw."
Old 10-16-2009 | 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why????? Who cares. If I had to break the law with a gun I would rather break it with a gun that wasnt in my name

Plus if you get pulled over with it just make sure you got that bill of sale on you
Old 10-16-2009 | 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

i never said you were breaking any laws just cutting corners... 2 different things... i see your reasoning behind it now and i'm gonna have to look into this supposed law... i don't think it will hold up too well and even if it did and people started to not register their guns then the gov could start regulating ranges, such as making them check to see if your gun is registered before you shoot and if it isn't reporting you... and if you get pulled over with it, bill of sale or not, a cop could and probably would keep it and take you to jail, unless you had a chl you might be able to get out of it... they can do all kinds of **** that we have no control over whatsoever... and the last thing i would want is a bunch of legal bs because i shot an intruder with an unregistered gun... no point in putting myself in a situation like that when a $50 bill could have avoided it... i will hate to pay it but i suppose i would to keep myself in the clear
Old 10-17-2009 | 01:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by neutron82
i never said you were breaking any laws just cutting corners... 2 different things... i see your reasoning behind it now and i'm gonna have to look into this supposed law... i don't think it will hold up too well and even if it did and people started to not register their guns then the gov could start regulating ranges, such as making them check to see if your gun is registered before you shoot and if it isn't reporting you... and if you get pulled over with it, bill of sale or not, a cop could and probably would keep it and take you to jail, unless you had a chl you might be able to get out of it... they can do all kinds of **** that we have no control over whatsoever... and the last thing i would want is a bunch of legal bs because i shot an intruder with an unregistered gun... no point in putting myself in a situation like that when a $50 bill could have avoided it... i will hate to pay it but i suppose i would to keep myself in the clear
Yea but that is $50 per gun, I currently have 12 guns registered, it adds up fast plus that’s per year... If it passes you won’t truly ever own your guns. I guess when they made the constitution they meant to say we have the right to pay too bear arms.
Old 10-17-2009 | 01:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw the other day.

"When guns become outlawed, I will be an outlaw."
I seen one today that said I'll keep my guns, My money, and my freedom, and you can keep the Change...
Old 10-17-2009 | 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

This post may get deleted cuz it has to do with politics but WHAT THE HELL IS IT WITH DEMOCRATS HATING ON THE 2ND AMENDMENT?

last time i checked, guns dont kill people, people kill people

im glad the majority of my guns are not registerd, 50 bucks a pop would cost me a small fourtune