Forklift operators

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forklift operators

what is it that you exactly do. i ask this cause i seen in the greensheets a listing for a forklift operator class. Costs 99 dollars and i would become osha compliant certified.

so i was wondering if anyone could chime in about the osha stuff. It seems that everytime i look for a warehouse job , a forklift operator is what mostly everyone is looking for.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by That_guy
what is it that you exactly do. i ask this cause i seen in the greensheets a listing for a forklift operator class. Costs 99 dollars and i would become osha compliant certified.

so i was wondering if anyone could chime in about the osha stuff. It seems that everytime i look for a warehouse job , a forklift operator is what mostly everyone is looking for.

Forklift operators move stuff from point A to B, unload trucks in receiving bays, and load outgoing trucks. If you're considering that line of work, it would be a good idea to take the the class (it would make you a ready hire). I enjoyed it, as I like organizing/moving stuff around. For $99, I think it would be a good investment. :2cents:

I got a forklift certification when I worked at Home Depot back around '99-'01 and when I was in the military (for ***** and giggles..never had to use it).
Old 03-05-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

ok cool, i knew about to moving stuff around , i just thought there was other **** involved.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Launching!

When I worked at home depot, it was more of a secondary duty. You worked a department and when needed...you drove a lift. There's not that much to it though. It's like being a bus driver. What do they do? They drive a bus.

If you're looking to work at a large warehouse, I would imagine that you'd be on that thing most of the day though.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

hmmm i wasnt going to make this a permanent job. Just something i could do right now i know the pay is good tho.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

also it kinda depends....the forklifts we use lift 30,000 lbs and are huge. we just stack load and unload trucking containers all day i can post a pic later...
Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Before you pay your money, make sure what they actually certify you on. Meaning how much you'll be able to lift. There's forklifts that barely lift 800lbs and I've driven some that are rated for over 200,000lbs.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
Before you pay your money, make sure what they actually certify you on. Meaning how much you'll be able to lift. There's forklifts that barely lift 800lbs and I've driven some that are rated for over 200,000lbs.
osha certified. what other certifications are there
Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Launching!

This one will almost hand you the job MSSC cert.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am certified.. at my job i operate about 5 different types of forklift machines maybe even more. they are kinda hard to drive at first but you get used to them pretty quick. they are all different and have different capabilities and serve different purposes... u just got to be real careful when you are moving big loads. if u decide to take cerification good luck.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by johnlv6
When I worked at home depot, it was more of a secondary duty. You worked a department and when needed...you drove a lift. There's not that much to it though. It's like being a bus driver. What do they do? They drive a bus.

If you're looking to work at a large warehouse, I would imagine that you'd be on that thing most of the day though.
Not trying to take anything away from you and your skills at home depot.... but driving a forklift at home depot is nothing. Try pulling an order that has 28 pallets and you have a live driver waiting for you to load them up and you only have 1 hr to do it. You still have to lock the driver in, set the ramp, pull all 28 pallets by weight so you distribute the weight evenly on the truck and every pallet is in a different location and you have a massive warehouse.. Lol! It isn't easy...Majority of forklift positions are based on production, You do get paid by the hour but if you can't keep up with everyone else... sorry to say it but you won't be there for long. I worked at a place where we had to pull pallets off of bays that were 5 pallets high and there is about 5 feet between every pallet where they sit on the rails. You have to pull pallets out of the top tier without damaging it. I have seen dozens of kids come out here to try out the forklift game and after lunch they don't return. I do it all.. stand up, sit down, slip sheet, clamp, double reaches,rail boxes etc... It gets fun after a while so if you are not up for a challenge then I wouldn't waste my hundred bucks. Home depot is a cake walk compared to a warehouse where everyone is hauling *** to keep up with production. Good luck, I f I can help on a question just ask. Not trying to scare you just trying to be real about what to expect. You will either work with paperwork to pull orders or through an rf scanner computer.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
You are correct, I have different certifications for every lift I get on. They go by weight and by type of forklift.
As I mentioned above, there are more than just one certification, yes osha gives them to you but you have to have passed the test for that partiuclar foklift and it's weight. I have more than just one certification.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

well i think i can do it. im just trying to see if this is a good idea right now. ive been watching forklift accidents all day on youtube.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
Not trying to take anything away from you and your skills at home depot.... but driving a forklift at home depot is nothing. Try pulling an order that has 28 pallets and you have a live driver waiting for you to load them up and you only have 1 hr to do it. You still have to lock the driver in, set the ramp, pull all 28 pallets by weight so you distribute the weight evenly on the truck and every pallet is in a different location and you have a massive warehouse.. Lol! It isn't easy...Majority of forklift positions are based on production, You do get paid by the hour but if you can't keep up with everyone else... sorry to say it but you won't be there for long. I worked at a place where we had to pull pallets off of bays that were 5 pallets high and there is about 5 feet between every pallet where they sit on the rails. You have to pull pallets out of the top tier without damaging it. I have seen dozens of kids come out here to try out the forklift game and after lunch they don't return. I do it all.. stand up, sit down, slip sheet, clamp, double reaches,rail boxes etc... It gets fun after a while so if you are not up for a challenge then I wouldn't waste my hundred bucks. Home depot is a cake walk compared to a warehouse where everyone is hauling *** to keep up with production. Good luck, I f I can help on a question just ask. Not trying to scare you just trying to be real about what to expect. You will either work with paperwork to pull orders or through an rf scanner computer.
Lol. I didn't realize that forklift driving was serious business.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most companies will still require you to take their own class and certification. At least the place I work at does.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

ok what is the mssc cert. is there anything else that i need to know.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Teching In

So much misinformation in this thread, Your certified by style(Stand/Sitdown electric or gas) nothing to do with weight unless its a specialty machine. I wouldn't waste my money as 90% of places don't even certify there drivers! Unless you get into the Ports, Walmart DC's or another large DC around town its not gonna make you any kind of decent money. All the big places are going to certify you themselves.

Ive been a Forklift/Industrial mechanic in the field for 6yrs so Ive seen it all
Old 03-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Agree ^^

Forklift driving is cake if you're not an *******.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by johnlv6
Lol. I didn't realize that forklift driving was serious business.
I'm pretty sure you didn't know since you only drove a forklift at home depot...
Originally Posted by SlowRebel
So much misinformation in this thread, Your certified by style(Stand/Sitdown electric or gas) nothing to do with weight unless its a specialty machine. I wouldn't waste my money as 90% of places don't even certify there drivers! Unless you get into the Ports, Walmart DC's or another large DC around town its not gonna make you any kind of decent money. All the big places are going to certify you themselves.

Ive been a Forklift/Industrial mechanic in the field for 6yrs so Ive seen it all
Hmmm... You must be a mechanic for pallet jacks or something because if you are not certified for a specific forklift by weight you are not allowed to get on it .I did this for over 9 years so you started when I was certified for everything out there. We now call them dinosaurs!
Originally Posted by KFC_Or_Bust
Agree ^^

Forklift driving is cake if you're not an *******.
Ha! Cake! O.k.. you too must of worked at home depot.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I worked for a trench safety rental equipment company. I had never driven a fork lift before I worked there. I was not a yard guy but had to load or unload trucks at different times. Its not hard to learn to do but you do have to becareful. The guys who do it all the time can make it look really easy. Our equipment was around 8000 lbs on the heavier stuff.

Quick Reply: Forklift operators