New Truck Shopping....Hagglers Opinion Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Truck Shopping....Hagglers Opinion Needed

So decided to sell off my GSX-R and am about to put my Nissan Frontier on the chopping block this week. I've started to do some research on full size trucks and wanted you all's opinion on pricing and offers. I went to the chevy dealer to see what the 2010's are going for these days. Seems I can get a 2010 Extended Cab texas edition for around 33K and a crew cab z71 or 4x4 for about 36K. These are sticker prices. Right now they have 0% for 72 months or 5K off sticker. I won't be buying till I unload my current truck but I wanted to ask what is a good starting point to offer for either one of these models of trucks?

Note: when I do go to negotiate/buy I will have 12K to put down on whatever truck I choose My other option is buying slightly used where I can afford a higher model truck (LTZ, LT2 4x4 etc) with only a couple thousand miles on them. Opinions welcome....How bad can I beat up a dealer with a stack of $12g in my back pocket? Thanks for any info.

Rick
Old 05-25-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You can easily score a new Dodge Ram 1500 for $10k off sticker at local Houston area dealers. I'd shoot for the same with the Silverado.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talk to the internet sales people. They don't make money like the floor guys. Its all about volume sales. Just start emailing dealerships, telling them what you are looking for.

I agree on the amount off the sticker. Remember, these guys need the sale more than you need the truck.

I honestly would wait until this fall. Buy a 2010 when the 2011s start showing up. Plus, by that time the economy will have double dipped and they will be giving bj's for beer money...
Old 05-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Teching In

I agree about the internet sales just email your demands to all the local dealerships so you will have apples to apples comparisions and don't forget to also ask for drive out prices because some will tack a bunch of stuff in the fees.

Also if you are financing it you can usually do significantly better with interest rates buying new.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

also remember that the 0% or $5000 off that the $5000 is from gm so hit the dealer up for more off.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Pimp

Just tell them you'll vote obama next time around and they'll give you any new chevy you want.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you should be able to get the crew cab for 30K and if not give the sales men your number and tell him not to call you unless he's ready to sell it for 30K usually works for me and my parents.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Pimp

Yeah, unless it's some shady *** place.

I once had a sales guy say he could do 39 on a c6, then they pulled my credit without my permission and said the car's price was 52. Tack on the insulting trade in value they simultaneously threw at me and that was the last time I stepped into a GM dealership. Here I am two more fords later and It's no wonder GM's bottom fell out.

Do yourself a favor, buy a ford Truck.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check incentives on the car (ex: 5000 on a new full size 1500). The sticker less the incentives should be your 'realistic' MSRP. So if there are 5K in incentives and the sticker is 33... and the dealer offers to sellit to you for 28K they are effectively still selling that car at MSRP cause that money came from GM- not the dealer. This is a deal you can get anywere anytime.

You need to get the dealer to give up some of thier cash. look at what the invoice of the truck is and you should expect them to sell the car a few % over invoice (less incentives) cause they still get $$ or dealer holdback.

so if MSRP is 33K, and invoice is 30K. 30K * 1.05= 31,500
less 5K incentive: 31,500-5000= 26,500 should be a theoretical price. 5% is even a little high in my opinion.

Look into financing options- at 0% you are better keeping your 12K in the bank than putting it down. But, if we are headed for a heavy inflation your 12K will be worth less tomorrow so make the best deal you can with it today.

Oh, and take a sharpie to write your #'s down- the sales guys always have cheap pens and the sales manager has a thick marker so when you look at the paper with all of the #'s on it all you see are the two the sales mgr writes down- their inflated MSRP and his optimum sell price.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was with my grandpa looking at Ram's a while back we could get a fully loaded 1500 Sport for $27,000. In my opinion it is on par if not better than a GM truck and a lot cheaper.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

toyota hilux.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWc_flGRT_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql2PHqE3cy4&NR=1

Last edited by brian_rs/ss; 05-26-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Teching In

I like the math u all are throwing at me fellas. I agree that 5k is not really 5k cold hard cash is def inflatted. I will likely do what most people have suggested and find something I like make my offer and if they don't bite have them call me whe. Their ready to sell. I don't want to finance more than 15 to18 k so with 12 down ill need to do 30 otd which seems def doable. Thx 4 the info men.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
When I was with my grandpa looking at Ram's a while back we could get a fully loaded 1500 Sport for $27,000. In my opinion it is on par if not better than a GM truck and a lot cheaper.
gotta totally disagree with you. Just sold my 2005 doge hemi quad cab.
pulled a 5ooolb travel trailor 3 times and blew out the rear end. Also dropped a valve in the hemi around 80,000 miles. Truck ran strong until it crapped out. looked good too. that's a dodge.

Driving a loaded out gmc sierra denali now..6.2 litr runs good.. but it was 41,000.00. love this truck.
If you go with the ram be sure and get the extended warranty.
Oh yeah If you get a warranty on any new car, say you don't want it first when the finance guy offers it to you. He will then drop the price big time.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevin89formula
gotta totally disagree with you. Just sold my 2005 doge hemi quad cab.
pulled a 5ooolb travel trailor 3 times and blew out the rear end. Also dropped a valve in the hemi around 80,000 miles. Truck ran strong until it crapped out. looked good too. that's a dodge.

Driving a loaded out gmc sierra denali now..6.2 litr runs good.. but it was 41,000.00. love this truck.
If you go with the ram be sure and get the extended warranty.
Oh yeah If you get a warranty on any new car, say you don't want it first when the finance guy offers it to you. He will then drop the price big time.
We were looking at the 2010's.. They are a completely different truck compared to your 2005 and are bad ***.

Idk, I hear bad things about every truck. I know you hear about Dodge trucks crapping out but I have heard less problems from them than any other truck. My grandpa's ram 2500 blew the tranny, but then again my friends excursion and f250 blew the tranny, now his f150 is slipping. Then my friend has a duramax and has all sorts of problems. Just dropped a new wiring harness in it.

I guess it's all the luck of the draw. I think all the new trucks look and perform well, so get whatever looks good to you.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Pimp

You hear less about them because people buy them less.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I never had any problems with my 06 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
We were looking at the 2010's.. They are a completely different truck compared to your 2005 and are bad ***.

Idk, I hear bad things about every truck. I know you hear about Dodge trucks crapping out but I have heard less problems from them than any other truck. My grandpa's ram 2500 blew the tranny, but then again my friends excursion and f250 blew the tranny, now his f150 is slipping. Then my friend has a duramax and has all sorts of problems. Just dropped a new wiring harness in it.

I guess it's all the luck of the draw. I think all the new trucks look and perform well, so get whatever looks good to you.
i'd buy a ford before i bought a dodge 1500... everything on those trucks fall apart... i really dont consider tranny's going out on trucks to make them shitty cause that will happen to any truck that pulls a trailer with some good weight... i feel that dodge has the weakest trans. for sure though... the weakest everything really... my gf has a 2000 and yeah i know it's a older one but damn i hate that ******* truck, she has no dash literally it's gone just one giant hole, front suspension is shot trans shifts like ****, everything sqweeks and her mirror is about to fall off and it's never been hit by anything... how the **** does that happen? i do like the cummings though

now your buddy with that duramax if it's that one guy im thinking of it's pewter and 2wd then i would imagine he has problems one after the other he drives that thing like it's a indy car, he will try and race a 80 year in a mini van if thats the only competition on the road...
Old 05-27-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by _Zac
Yeah, unless it's some shady *** place.

I once had a sales guy say he could do 39 on a c6, then they pulled my credit without my permission and said the car's price was 52. Tack on the insulting trade in value they simultaneously threw at me and that was the last time I stepped into a GM dealership. Here I am two more fords later and It's no wonder GM's bottom fell out.

Do yourself a favor, buy a ford Truck.
Same thing happened to me at Mac Haik Cheverolet.. I went C5 shopping in November of 2002, long story short they were just shitty excuses for human beings. I ended up buying an 03 Mustang Cobra instead and had it until 2 years ago.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Pimp

I loved my Vette, but GM has really dug themselves into a hole with how bad the dealers are. We've got nothing but fords now, and we're very happy with all of them. The dealers treat you like family.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
i'd buy a ford before i bought a dodge 1500... everything on those trucks fall apart... i really dont consider tranny's going out on trucks to make them shitty cause that will happen to any truck that pulls a trailer with some good weight... i feel that dodge has the weakest trans. for sure though... the weakest everything really... my gf has a 2000 and yeah i know it's a older one but damn i hate that ******* truck, she has no dash literally it's gone just one giant hole, front suspension is shot trans shifts like ****, everything sqweeks and her mirror is about to fall off and it's never been hit by anything... how the **** does that happen? i do like the cummings though

I've heard some pretty bad things about the older model Ram 1500s, but like I said. The 2006 I had was a great truck (The 09+ Rams are supposed to be great). I changed the oil and put gas in it. That was it. I owned it for 2 years. Bought it brand new and put 36k trouble free miles on it.