70 Camaro Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
What was wrong with the tail panel? Rust at the bottom?

There was one pinhole around the back window, really surprised there wasn't more. Found some rust on the right side where the door meets the quarter. The car looks like hell right now in the pics but it will most likely be done tomorrow if my friend doesn't get tied down with other cars. And don't let all the bondo fool you guys, it's very thin and done right.

They painted a blue car that looked sweet today, but I think with the big wheels and such it will look too "ghetto". There will be three black cars at the car show with me, ex-ss-ve and that other guy but whatever.. Mine will be the one with the bad *** wheels lol.
there was some rust on the weather strip rail thats part of the tail panel. along with what looked like a good sized dent on the lower rear valance. the trunk has pinhole rust in the pan. as for the back window there was rust by the curve in the window rail. im pretty picky about all these things so im replacing the sheetmetal with fresh pieces
Old 08-04-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
hey penguin, if those rushforths don't work out for you i will trade you my TT's with the tires off of my '68 for those rims. just puttin it out there.

body doesn't look bad. still haven't seen the trunk pan or the floor boards.

also i doubt you will get 20k for it. but i mean you can ask for that much OBO and see who bites.
That sounds like a good trade. An $800 set of wheels for some that cost $2500. You amaze me with every post.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
That sounds like a good trade. An $800 set of wheels for some that cost $2500. You amaze me with every post.
Lol he better thrown a mountain of cash on top, gonna have like $3200 in these things with cheap tires . The worst part is they won't be here until about Sept. 10th.

Anyways how's your car coming along?

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
there was some rust on the weather strip rail thats part of the tail panel. along with what looked like a good sized dent on the lower rear valance. the trunk has pinhole rust in the pan. as for the back window there was rust by the curve in the window rail. im pretty picky about all these things so im replacing the sheetmetal with fresh pieces
That's good, the weatherstrip part is a pain to fix and won't ever really look right unless you get a new piece. The window is fun too, luckily I don't have those issues. My old T/A had rust at the bottom left of that weatherstrip area and it never did look right when it was patched. I haven't really looked at the trunk that well but nothing stood out. Just gonna hit it with the sand blaster and get some of that spatter paint.

Going with single stage instead of base coat though. Half the price and looks pretty much the same after it's wet sanded and buffed. If I knew I was going to keep it I would go base coat since it does look a little better.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you can show me where i can get a set of TTII's with BFG rubber with less than 100 miles on them for $800 i will suck your dick AND cup your *****.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

if you can show me where i can get a set of TTII's with BFG rubber with less than 100 miles on them for $800 i will suck your dick AND cup your *****.
I was referring to just the wheels. Never did I say tires as well.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin

Anyways how's your car coming along?
Almost ready to drive. My right rear caliper wants to be a bitch. The bleeder isnt sealing correctly so I have a leak that I need to address. Hopefully this weekend.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Almost ready to drive. My right rear caliper wants to be a bitch. The bleeder isnt sealing correctly so I have a leak that I need to address. Hopefully this weekend.
I had the same problem on the right rear of my 80 T/A too. I didn't even notice until the shop I brought it to for bushing replacement saw the fluid everywhere. Car had some bad *** brakes.

I think the right side is done. He said tomorrow it fill be finished.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Id' be interested to know how they repaired the rust. Did they just slap some bondo on it or did they actually cut out the rust and weld new metal in?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All of the big rust was cut, blasted and replaced with metal such as where the quarter meets the door in the photo on the last page. There hasn't been really any little rust, it's been all or nothing. I don't have any pics of it cause I would just pop in every few hours. Unfortunately I don't know what all the bondo on the sail panel is for, I didn't see it stripped down so that kinda bugs me.

But this whole thing is only going to cost $1000 painted and all, so I am not complaining if there is a ding here or there he missed. The final prep sanders and painter have my back so the car should turn out amazing.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Camaro was primed and the Trans Am was painted today. I am so glad the T/A is done because it was embarrassing driving it, I looked like some white trash kid. The Camaro will be painted next week though, the guys up front ran out of cars to paint so they told me to get them. I was so excited because I thought I was going to have to wait forever.

I am pissed that my brand new headlight cover came with a dent on it. The fender needed some bondo(how do you dent plastic?) since I didn't see it first but it was $20 so no biggie.

The Camaro is friggen perfect though, it's gonna look great. I can't find a hood or RS nose for it so I think I am just going to leave them on there for now.

Pics later.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yay now my transmission **** itself. Guess it's time for that 6 speed.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some pics for you guys.. Hopefully the transmission is a quick fix and I can get it painted next week. Also the T/A only cost $250 to fix so I am happy about that.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that yellow truck. i want it.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:27 AM
TECH Addict

that yellow truck. i want it.
i get first dibs.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Staging Lane

Man awesome work!!!! Trans am lookin complete again, and that camaro has been flipped this week lol. Great work kid
Old 08-07-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, took no time at all haha. I just wish my wheels were here already, I hate waiting.

I hope that yellow truck gets struck by lightning and burns to the ground this weekend.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice work bro!

Havent read thro, but what are you doing about motor and transmission work on the camaro?

Looks like those wheels will eat a lot of your buget. To be hones i like the wheels it came with just restore them.

Keep up the good work!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the rally wheels on there are new. They are starting to grow on me but it's a little late now.

Idk what I am going to do with the motor, it runs great now and is quick plus it gets pretty good gas mileage. Once I get it inspected I am going to saw the exhaust off and run pipes out the back. We have this competition at school of who's car is the loudest and we always revv at each other every morning lol..

There is a guy called Morrows transmission and I took it there, they rebuilt the one on the 80 Trans Am for $500.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Launching!

paint it orange
Old 08-08-2010, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

yall can have the truck i gto dibs on the red ss in the back ground under the carport .

dam the ta looks good sucks about the trans. and the camaro came out really nice

Quick Reply: 70 Camaro Build