Big cam cars. What oil to use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big cam cars. What oil to use?

Before anyone says it, I tried searching...

I have a "big" cam. It's an MS3. It has 115K miles and had the cam since ~30k. I'm having issues with oil consumption and would like to possibliy thicken the oil to keep it from slipping past the rings. It's been run on Mobile 1 5W-30 since new.

I'm stating to think that the cylinders are turning oval. I haven't done a cylinder leak down test since I bought the car, so I can't answer any questions like that...

Should I step up a viscosity on the oil or just run 5W-30 and top it off till the next oil change?

Don't ask my how much it drinks (cause my clutch is toast right now so I drive like an old man). I think it's usually around 2 quarts added per 3-4k miles.

Let me know what all y'all run in your large cam cars...
Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The majority of the oil guys will tell you that there is much better oil than Mobil 1 for the price. From my experience, Mobil 1 burns up quickly. It also seems to run thinner than it actually advertises.

I use Penzoil Platinum 10W-30. It quiets the sewing machine sound a lot, and doesn't burn up. I also have higher oil pressure than with Mobil 1. If you do some research, Platinum is a high rated oil. I think it should help your oil consumption problems.

I had the same issue with M1, but not as bad. You should definitely do the usual tests to make sure that you don't have a hurt engine.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
Before anyone says it, I tried searching...

I have a "big" cam. It's an MS3. It has 115K miles and had the cam since ~30k. I'm having issues with oil consumption and would like to possibliy thicken the oil to keep it from slipping past the rings. It's been run on Mobile 1 5W-30 since new.

I'm stating to think that the cylinders are turning oval. I haven't done a cylinder leak down test since I bought the car, so I can't answer any questions like that...

Should I step up a viscosity on the oil or just run 5W-30 and top it off till the next oil change?

Don't ask my how much it drinks (cause my clutch is toast right now so I drive like an old man). I think it's usually around 2 quarts added per 3-4k miles.

Let me know what all y'all run in your large cam cars...
You check your valve seals lately? I replaced mine after 30k but would be a good thing to look into. I was having consumption issues as well.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

i use valvoline full synthetic 5w30 in mine and i have no oil consumption. but then again i only have 5k on my motor.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

Extra virgin olive
Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Use the cheapest damn oil u can find. Just change it often.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sluggish
Extra virgin olive
Lol. I prefer conola...

I've never heard anything but praise from M1.

I might do some research then. I know Valvoline is a good brand, but I'd be hesitant with Penzoil... I'd only use Penzoil on a DD that used dino oil.

Is Royal Purple a pretty "thick" oil for it's viscosity rating? I'd rather switch to that than Valvoline...
Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1bdBULLITT
You check your valve seals lately? I replaced mine after 30k but would be a good thing to look into. I was having consumption issues as well.
I haven't checked valve seals. Can I get away with pulling the valve covers and not replacing the gaskets? I can prob pick them up for $10 a piece, but I'd rather not spend $20 just to "check" the oil consumption. I know it's cheap, but I'm on a tight budget at the moment...
Old 09-24-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some super duper cam grade oil. If you're cylinders are turning oval you have alot more issues than the grade of oil.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Agreed. I'm not familiar with the tendancy of the LS1 engine block. Is it common for them to oval out? Or are they find with highly modified engines with lots of HP added?

You say I need "cam grade oil"... Where can I get that and does it litterally say "cam grade oil"? Or are you telling me to run 90W-140 through my engine? lol
Old 09-25-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
Can I get away with pulling the valve covers and not replacing the gaskets?
absolutely. i do it all the time.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mobil 1 5w30
Old 09-25-2010, 03:17 AM
Staging Lane

One of my buddies cars did the same thing. Switched from a synthetic oil to a convential oil and it stopped burning it! Btw If your running synthetic oil and only running the car 3k miles between changes then there is no point in running the synthetic. You don't get the actual benifit of the synthetic oil unless you run it 5k miles or so!!
Old 09-25-2010, 03:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Juicy J
The majority of the oil guys will tell you that there is much better oil than Mobil 1 for the price. From my experience, Mobil 1 burns up quickly. It also seems to run thinner than it actually advertises.

I use Penzoil Platinum 10W-30. It quiets the sewing machine sound a lot, and doesn't burn up. I also have higher oil pressure than with Mobil 1. If you do some research, Platinum is a high rated oil. I think it should help your oil consumption problems.

I had the same issue with M1, but not as bad. You should definitely do the usual tests to make sure that you don't have a hurt engine.
The reason it is quieter with the Penz. 10w30 is because it is a thicker oil the the Mobile1 5w30. The thickness of the oil also explains the higher oil pressure!! But after research I am going to try some of the Penzoil Platinum and see for myself!! What filter are you running??
Old 09-25-2010, 07:50 AM
10 Second Fun Car

As by nature the LS platform uses oil...thats just how it is. If you want to go with a different oil say a 10w30 or 15w40, that will probably slow down your consumption. Have you tried doing a catch can or switching to the ls6 pcv system? Personally we run Royal Purple in everything. Ive had oil tests done on 50k miles, 75k miles, 130k miles on different brands of cars running RP and have had very good results.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running the German Castrol, 0w-30 currently in the SS abd G8. I have some usage in the SS, but none in the LS3.In my old engine I tried the following synthetics: GC, Mobile, Rotella, Walmart brand (its Quaker State), Valvoline. It consumed less other brands of synthetic oil than it did with Mobile 1 5w or 10w-30. With Mobile I'd have to add a quart in 3k miles. The others half a quart. It was also my experience that conventional oil was used even less, about 1/4 quart.

The captured gaskets in the valve covers are pretty resilient. Mine are still the originals with over 110k miles and the valve covers have been pulled off multiple times.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Just mix all the oil brands together you should fine. Hahaha sorry bored at work
Old 09-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Teching In

absolutely no penzoil one of the worst brands on the market
Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Quaker state oil sucks *** I lived up north and had engine problems from this oil freezing
Old 09-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

I run amsoil and have had no problems yet. I run a delco filter and change it every 5k. I went from running M1 and a M1 filter to my set up now and I burn less oil and the motor is a little quieter now also being that mine has that piston slap. my oil pressure sits about 5psi higher also. The car had 83k on it

Quick Reply: Big cam cars. What oil to use?