Thinking about this F250, Help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thinking about this F250, Help?

This thing caught my eye on the way home so I turned around and went to look. It's what I have been looking for in a truck as in already lifted, 7.3 powerstroke and leather. Body looks straight and paint is good but missing a rear bumper and front bumper missing a support bar. Interior is really where it lacks. Seats looked pretty good under the covers but someone painting the dash and **** that ugly *** body color. Missing some interior pieces here in there but really isn't that bad. I wanted to convert it to black interior anyways. Doesn't have carpet but once again, going to be replaced anyways.

Overall it looks pretty good, interior lacking but it fired right up and sounded great. Has 180k which isn't too bad for diesels but I really know nothing about them so I was seeing if anyone here had any experience. He only wants $9,000 and I could probably negotiate him a little bit but I just can't have 3 cars again. Maybe he will trade for my T/A plus a small bit of cash from his end.

Like I said it needs some work but I see a lot of potential for a good truck. Idk why but I like it. Plans were to respray it black, get new bumpers, new tires/wheels, put in carpet, swap seats out for 08+ black F250 seats, dye headliner black and dye/replace interior pieces black.

What do you guys think? I think the really deal breaker is how mechanically sound it is and how well it drives. Going to set up a test drive if you guys think it's a good idea.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my Opinion, The interior looks like ****!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, someone went a little crazy with red paint. Didn't see anything that was beat up or cracked though. Ain't nothing some black SEM dye can't fix.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

wait and keep looking. not that cheap for what you are getting.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any reason why you want a diesel? Be for-warned ... they are expensive as hell to maintain and operate.

I have an 07 PSD 4x4. I traded an 02 2500HD 8.1 gas. Worst mistake of my life.

The Ford has been problem free. It has great power and drives and rides great. But the GMC handled my 28' enclosed a lot better. It even had more guts.

When 5K miles rolls around, it takes 4 gallons of oil ... 16 freaking quarts ... and terribly over-priced filters. Wanna do it yourself to save money? Ever seen a drain pan that will hold 4 gallons? They are monsters and take up stupid amount of shop space.

Now, if you need to fill the bass-thumping car next to you with foul smelling, sooty black smoke (true story), then a diesel is for you.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

does the disco ball on the column tilt lever come with it? if so, do it!!!! lol jk man, i would wait, i heard any work, like heads or turbo wise on those the cab has to come off. and the maintenance on a diesel is ridiculous.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gas mileage is a lot better and they seem to last a good bit longer. I like the power of a diesel plus I'll be towing every now and then. Plus I can't justify buying a nice gas truck when a diesel is almost the same price.

Also it is SO much easier finding a crew cab 4x4 in a 250/2500 than in a 150/1500. Silverados are so damn hard to find a crew cab in general. Ram 1500's pretty much didn't come with 4x4 either.

There isn't really much maintenance with these things from what I hear. I know you want to avoid the 6.0's because of the heads. In fact my uncles 40k mile 05 F250 had that problem with the heads but luckily he has a warranty. I would love a 2500 cummins but I just can't get them in the right price range, I can get a dually for a fair price but I just don't need that big of a truck.
What I liked about this truck is that I will have a ton of money left over to make it nice. All the **** I was going to end up replacing anyways so it seemed like a good base.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

looks like poop.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
There isn't really much maintenance with these things from what I hear. I know you want to avoid the 6.0's because of the heads. In fact my uncles 40k mile 05 F250 had that problem with the heads but luckily he has a warranty.
Design change in 06 added studs to keep from lifting the head. My 6.0L has been a rock.

Not sure how you come up with little maintenance. oil changes are at the same interval and cost 4x the amount.

And what does break, costs twice as much to replace.

Its hard to find decent 8.1s any more ...
Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Of course you have your general oil changes but that's really about it, at least for me. I have never really broken anything on any of my cars. Usually is just oil and maybe a spark plug wire here and there.

I only put 6700 miles on my Trans Am since I got it a year ago and I would put probably half that on this truck so a 4 gallon oil change once a year doesn't scare me. I might go test drive it tomorrow and if it drives great, I might try and low ball him with $6,000 or something. I know the interior looks like *** but I'd be willing to overlook that for the right price if it's mechanically sound. Also I am going to beat on it anyways, paying $20k for a truck to go tear *** through a field doesn't seem too smart but yeah, I don't want some junk. Just depends on how you look at it I guess. Idk, I probably wont buy it because you guys have been around the block more than I have and know what y'all are talking about but it wouldn't hurt anything to test drive it.

Last edited by retardedpenguin; 10-18-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's a good start for you since your a body guy and have hook up's i wouldnt buy it for 9k. But I think for 7-8 would be a great price and the 7.3's are great motors and will last a long time if it was taken care of. And as for maintence I don't have to change my oil for 10K and I change the fuel filter and the same time but i do have a duramax. I basically go almost a year without a oil change, take it to a mechanic and have them look at it. Plus you can always make it look like a 6.0 they have sharp grills and head lights IMO. I say do it you can always find another if that 7.3 blows !!!!!!!! LOL
Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Launching!

The truck looks clean, you need to see when and if the injector pump has been changed.I know for a fact that although they may not be the most pwerful and fastest, they are by far the most reliable. I didn't see what year it was , and I assume that a finance price. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks because you are the one paying for it.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They body is actually perfect and so is the paint, I just swore to God I would shoot myself if I got another red car and that was two red cars ago haha. The first thing that will be done to this thing is paint it black or blue. With my luck I should probably keep the ranch hand on there.

I know it's my money and all that but I have never owned one of these before and don't know anyone who has. Just seeing if anyone had experience with one. My uncle has that 05 and it's fuggin baller, will rip them big *** tires up if you play with the throttle going 30.

And it's not really the motor that scares me, it's the transmission. I have been researching all sorts of cars lately and all I ever see is transmission this and transmission that.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

our 7.3 we use for work is a beast. It is a F350 with a nothing but exhaust, air bags, intake, and a programmer. It has almost 400,000 miles on it and the only repair we have had to do is replace a high pressure oil line. Took an hour and a half with some tools in a parking lot. They do take a lot of oil, but if they are done right the gas mileage is great.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=retardedpenguin;14007926]Of course you have your general oil changes but that's really about it, at least for me. I have never really broken anything on any of my cars. Usually is just oil and maybe a spark plug wire here and there.

so a 4 gallon oil change once a year doesn't scare me.
Also I am going to beat on it anyways, paying $20k for a truck to go tear *** through a field doesn't seem too smart but yeah, I don't want some junk. QUOTE]

I think you should do more research before jumping into this.. Especially if you only plan on 1 oil change per year and you plan on beating on it as you mentioned above.. Never broken anything... these things are meant to pull and haul... I have broken many things that is just from normal wear and tear. Double the price like Mitch said. When you do break it from beating on it.. it will triple the price. Good luck either way bud. Oh and yeah... you should keep that front bumper, maybe that way the people that want to cut you off will think twice.

Last edited by dgcustomz; 10-18-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

why bother, youre just going to try and sell it 3 months later for twice what you paid for it
Old 10-19-2010, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

what year?

I had a 2000 with 160 on the clock and I started at 10k, but no one wanted it, ended up selling it for 7500 *a yr ago at that*, and it had everything that truck has, but bumpers too, and a good interior not a POS, as well as go fast goodies.

9k is too high IMO.....i wouldn't spend more then 7 probably even 6.5 for it, esp with that crap interior
Old 10-19-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a 99. That's crazy, been seeing decent ones selling for $14k and up, the only reason I considered this one is because I thought it was a fair price and I'd have a lot of cash left over to build it the way I want.

And by beat on it I mean like run it through a field or down a bumpy dirt road every now and then. Not going to be WOT every second and taking it through deep mud.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Another option:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...wphototab=true
Old 10-19-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

7.3's are very good motors. It's 15 quarts + a $10 motocraft filter. It's really not that much for an oil change. Just change the fuel filter every other oil change, keep the air filter nice and clean. It will run forever with the right maintenance. Check the tranny fluid for burnt smell or off-color.

I sold my 01 platinum with 185 on the clock a year ago for 13,750.