2011 5.0 Mustangs....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
Exactly, doing that is the equivalent to a gay guy going to a strip club. Why come to LS1tech if you bash GM? Why go to a strip club if you're gay?
I'm really not bashing GM. It happened. I pointed it out.

I love the LSX platform. It would be a very tough decision for me if I were to go out pony car shopping tomorrow. 11 Mustang vs. 11 Camaro SS

Both are relatively even in stock performance. Exterior styling is a tossup. I give Ford the slight edge in interior styling and a slightly bigger edge in available options for the money. Camaro wins in the “muscle car” feel category because we all know the LS motors sound like absolute beasts with an aftermarket cam.

For me, it would come down to “do I want a nice choppy idling h/c SS?”, or “do I want a roots blower powered 5.0 with that classic 2-chamber Flowmaster Mustang exhaust note?”. Like I said, it would be a very tough decision.

Or…do I go with a ever so gently used 2008 LS3 powered C6 Z51 equipped Corvette?…or maybe a Silver or Black 97-99 Viper GTS?...or maybe a fully built mint Stage II 9 second 1987 Buick Grand National?...hmmm
Old 11-11-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Strini SS
Sports car is a Sports car with 2 or 4 seats... IMO

Performace vs Performance GM > FORD
I'll give you that. GM has more choices and faster ones at that.

It's kind of hard to compare a $65k-$75k CTS-V to a $35K GT Mustang though.

The 4-door V is a great looking and performing car. I think the coupe looks like Betty the drive-thru manager of the local Wells Fargo would drive it to the post office and to pick up her presciption at CVS.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I'm really not bashing GM. It happened. I pointed it out.

I love the LSX platform. It would be a very tough decision for me if I were to go out pony car shopping tomorrow. 11 Mustang vs. 11 Camaro SS

Both are relatively even in stock performance. Exterior styling is a tossup. I give Ford the slight edge in interior styling and a slightly bigger edge in available options for the money. Camaro wins in the “muscle car” feel category because we all know the LS motors sound like absolute beasts with an aftermarket cam.

For me, it would come down to “do I want a nice choppy idling h/c SS?”, or “do I want a roots blower powered 5.0 with that classic 2-chamber Flowmaster Mustang exhaust note?”. Like I said, it would be a very tough decision.

Or…do I go with a ever so gently used 2008 LS3 powered C6 Z51 equipped Corvette?…or maybe a Silver or Black 97-99 Viper GTS?...or maybe a fully built mint Stage II 9 second 1987 Buick Grand National?...hmmm
Having owned a FORD GT and Currently SS, I would go with a used 07-08 Z06
TECH Enthusiast

/Thread
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being an engineer, I'm sure you realize it's not up to you on what you produce at the workplace. It's generally up to the client first.

To insinuate Ford engineers don't know how to build a high HP engine is just goofy.
I think the message was that Ford is a little late. Can ford build a high hp N/A car sure....but they didn't do it till 2011.

I think its funny tho because now GM lsx cars are coming boosted from factory and Ford is going N/A. Owell, GM is still holding it down on all the other fields.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ELDIABLO
I think the message was that Ford is a little late.
I got that original message and had a response to it, but nobody seemed to pay any attention to it. I guess it made too much sense.

Why would Ford do any drastic horsepower changes (pour money into R&D) all those years if they were winning the sales battle?

They started losing the sales battle last year when the 2010 Camaro hit the streets. Look what happened. Ford went with a higher HP engine in the GT Mustang. They finally had a reason/need to up the power.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Sports car is a Sports car with 2 or 4 seats... IMO

But take the 2011 CTS-V Coupe > 2011 GT

What?! Lol! Super different in prices! Haha..
Old 11-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
Now your going to a different ball game.
comparing science and physics to business?
Honestly. Maybe I'm the only dum **** out there to triple major Business engineering mechanics and electrical eng.
But if you want to talk about business methods and policies
MAKE ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THAT!
And don't jump around like a catfish in low water about it
Going from one idea to another.

And ross. I do want to keep it clean here
And i don't want to make enemies especially over a forum
This will be the last time i post in this thread.
Are you a freshman? What is engineering mechanics? And why are you triple majoring? (These are serious questions btw)

Oh and business decides what is engineered...

To keep things on topic, to each his own...
Plus it's a drivers race between the cars and the best styling is just a matter of taste.
TECH Junkie

I'd like to see Ford put out an updated version of the GT with a Whipple powered 5.4 putting out about 750hp to compete with the ZR1, and European exotics. They already offer the supercharger upgrade for the GT500.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12300
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL!

Driver friendly street car Heads/Cam/Full bolt-ons LS1 = 430rwhp

CAI, exhaust, tune 2011 5.0 = 430rwhp

430 RWHP where did you get that number from. My wifes daily driver was putting down 470 rwhp H/C and bolt ons. Cam exhaust only put down 406 rwhp. Not knocking the stang but those ls numbers are off a bit.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would Ford do any drastic horsepower changes (pour money into R&D) all those years if they were winning the sales battle
Most people don't buy cars from the factory for the same reasons we buy cars. Sales figures, and performance are totally different things.

You're right though, they had no reason to change anything if people were still buying their product.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

I got that original message and had a response to it, but nobody seemed to pay any attention to it. I guess it made too much sense.

Why would Ford do any drastic horsepower changes (pour money into R&D) all those years if they were winning the sales battle?

They started losing the sales battle last year when the 2010 Camaro hit the streets. Look what happened. Ford went with a higher HP engine in the GT Mustang. They finally had a reason/need to up the power.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

I'd like to see Ford put out an updated version of the GT with a Whipple powered 5.4 putting out about 750hp to compete with the ZR1, and European exotics. They already offer the supercharger upgrade for the GT500.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12300
They call it the supersnake.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SLV_WS6
430 RWHP where did you get that number from. My wifes daily driver was putting down 470 rwhp H/C and bolt ons. Cam exhaust only put down 406 rwhp. Not knocking the stang but those ls numbers are off a bit.
I've seen h/c ls1 put out anywhere from 400rwhp to up around 480rwhp. I threw 430rwhp because it seemed like a safe number for a smog legal h/c ls1 without a radical cam and with a middle of the road set of ported heads.

It would be stupid of me to quote any freak HP H/C LS1 numbers. It would make my argument less convincing.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

I will have to agree with Ross on 1 thing, from a Business stand point FORD could school GM on a few things or two... both companys are in the car sales business / $ financing $ not the after market performance business.... I'm sure GM loses it *** on alot of things.

But here on Tech we are all chasing the final HP #'s so with that said fck FORD LMAO
Old 11-11-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
They call it the supersnake.
Yeah. I know that one. I am refering to a new "GT" (2-seat exotic) with a variation of the GT500 motor equipped with the 750hp Whipple Kit.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
Ford has to have a blower go to fast... Fkn POS Mustangs!!!!

LSx > FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And let the trolling begin
Cmon Powell didn't you own a punkstang one time?...lol
Old 11-11-2010, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Ah. When you said GT I assumed the Mustang line up since we were talking about that. Makes sense. Gotcha. Ford GT would be amazing if they brought it back. I want one soo bad.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've seen h/c ls1 put out anywhere from 400rwhp to up around 480rwhp. I threw 430rwhp because it seemed like a safe number for a smog legal h/c ls1 without a radical cam and with a middle of the road set of ported heads.

It would be stupid of me to quote any freak HP H/C LS1 numbers. It would make my argument less convincing.
Our heads were off the shelf cnc ported TSP ls6 heads MS3 cam (a little big). I would not say 450-470 is considered a freak ls either. You should go work for ford or buy stock LOL. You have more post on this thread to try and make your point then anyone. I think it's funny how people have to justify there purchase by cost and how much power it makes. What are the quater mile times on these new stangs?

We buy our cars because thats what we want period. It's the same stuff on every form. Whats the ponit to this power,dollar per hp. I can argue a point with the best of them. Blower ls cars been making that 550 number you speak of for a long time.

Last edited by SLV_WS6; 11-11-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02ws666
who cares, your still driving a mustang along with half the ******* population lol

I guess that means it is a popular car then. I am not one for a punkstang and never have been, but when the time came to ****** up a GT500 I was all over it. Very pleasant car to drive. Doesn't mean I am a true Mustang fan. Hell When the new GT350 comes out I will have one of those also. A 5.0 with a factory supercharger will be another interesting one to have.

Ross sums it, Ford had bragging rights for 8 years so they didn't have to change anything, but now since the Fart Turd Boxmaro came out they lost sales. Don't think it was a overnight change, Ford has been planning on the return of the 5.0 for many years, they were just waiting for the right time.