Hi flow cats and inspection question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hi flow cats and inspection question

Does anyone know if high flow cats will pass a sniffer test? Im throwing an 04 LS1 into my 91 fox and will have to get the sniffer test. I hate to get normal cats and dont care to have to swap out the midpipe every year if I can get away with hi flows.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think they will.

A lot of it can be in the tune and mods setup, if you have all your emissions (AIR/EGR junk) and its tuned to pass then it could be done without cats.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine passed inspection with high flow cats, not sure if they do a sniffer test in dallas? but if they do it passed...and failed for HIDs and tint...fukin delarships
Old 12-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Launching!

What brand cats are you running? Did the hi flow effect the sound at all?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

magnaflow
ya i got the car with no cats and it was way to raspy and loud for my taste...the hi flow cats took the rasp away completely and lowered the volume down a bit, but still gets loud when u get on it
Old 12-08-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know it's a PITA but if i were you i'de have two mide pipes. one catted, one o/r.

or you could always do a ben franklin inspection.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Launching!

I'd do a Ben Franklin inspection if I had the hook up lol. I hated having to swap out midpipes on my old mustang every year. If the hi flows cut out the rasp though I'll keep them in and maybe just do cutouts.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

When I had my Trans/Am inspected in October the damn dealership failed it because of the cats. Said the high flow cats are too free flowing for their stinkin' machines.
So I took it to a regular gas station inspection station, and they passed it with no problem.
The inspector asked me if I had cats on the car I said yes, high flows. He said that's fine, and proceeded to scan the car for codes.. it passed with flying colors.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Also, I love my Dynateach LT's with HFC's on my GTO, it added some nice tone, and since it's Corsa, there's still zero drone in the cabin while cruising.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Launching!

I have the Kooks 1 3/4 LT's and plan on getting the magnaflow catback. It seems to be the only exhaust that sounds good with an LS1 that is ready to bolt up to the mustang. Hopefully I can get away with getting the midpipe made pretty cheap.

Chef, thats what im worried about, the cats being too free flowing. Although my old 5.0 would have passed without cats except the visual got failed. Im assuming these engines are a little cleaner running so hopefully the high flows wont be an issue.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ebk06
I have the Kooks 1 3/4 LT's and plan on getting the magnaflow catback. It seems to be the only exhaust that sounds good with an LS1 that is ready to bolt up to the mustang. Hopefully I can get away with getting the midpipe made pretty cheap.

Chef, thats what im worried about, the cats being too free flowing. Although my old 5.0 would have passed without cats except the visual got failed. Im assuming these engines are a little cleaner running so hopefully the high flows wont be an issue.
Even with HFC's its a possibility that you'll throw a code. My inspection isn't due until October 2011, but I'm about to have a cam/converter installed thus with that a tune. The tune will eliminate the code entirely, but it's just so annoying to see that little light shining back at me on my gauge cluster

When you take it for inspection make sure to take it to a stand alone station, and not a dealership. Their expecting factory spec cars, but like you and I, many of car enthusiasts mod their cars rather quickly... typically starting with the exhaust system. Those damn factory cats are ****, extra lb's. and useless

Good Luck
Old 12-08-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
i know it's a PITA but if i were you i'de have two mide pipes. one catted, one o/r.

or you could always do a ben franklin inspection.
Just had to do one myself
Old 12-08-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to be a car inspector.

1991 car with a 04 engine, you should be fine.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChefTA
Even with HFC's its a possibility that you'll throw a code. My inspection isn't due until October 2011, but I'm about to have a cam/converter installed thus with that a tune. The tune will eliminate the code entirely, but it's just so annoying to see that little light shining back at me on my gauge cluster

When you take it for inspection make sure to take it to a stand alone station, and not a dealership. Their expecting factory spec cars, but like you and I, many of car enthusiasts mod their cars rather quickly... typically starting with the exhaust system. Those damn factory cats are ****, extra lb's. and useless

Good Luck
I believe Ill only get a sniffer test on my car. Even though the engine is from an 04 GTO the car is still a 91.....no OBD II yet. Plus ill have an aftermarket cluster so no CEL lights to come on. Even though the car will have a OBDII port they wont look for one. Technically motor swaps from different makes/models is illegal in Texas but i dont think most inspectors really pay attention or can tell the difference. If one did I would hope it meant he was a realy car guy and wouldnt give me **** for it out of respect for doing so much work to a car lol.

The place I normally get inspection doesnt look for much else beside the basics, tires, lights, signals, and horn. So im hoping ill pass.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow they have real exhaust checks in Austin these days? I lived there 2000-04 and used to get my Firebird inspected there... it was cheaper than Houston which had just moved to the OBDII emissions test with the safety inspection. I didn't mind paying like $15-$20 less a year or whatever it was. My car has cats after the headers and I haven't had any problems here... I wonder if it would actually pass a real exhaust test.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

what is a Benjamin Franklin Inspection??
Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by texas94z
I used to be a car inspector.

1991 car with a 04 engine, you should be fine.
Cool, I figured as much is was just a little worried about the high flows. You know, I did forget to mention I just finished installing a TSP228r cam. I hope that doesnt effect emmisions too much.

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Wow they have real exhaust checks in Austin these days? I lived there 2000-04 and used to get my Firebird inspected there... it was cheaper than Houston which had just moved to the OBDII emissions test with the safety inspection. I didn't mind paying like $15-$20 less a year or whatever it was. My car has cats after the headers and I haven't had any problems here... I wonder if it would actually pass a real exhaust test.
Travis, Williamson, and Hays all do emmisions now.

Originally Posted by ChefTA
what is a Benjamin Franklin Inspection??
Lets just say your inspection will cost $100 more or less.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ebk06
Cool, I figured as much is was just a little worried about the high flows. You know, I did forget to mention I just finished installing a TSP228r cam. I hope that doesnt effect emmisions too much.

Travis, Williamson, and Hays all do emmisions now.

Lets just say your inspection will cost $100 more or less.
You're going to fail, just get the expensive inspection. With or without catalytic converters...
Old 12-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 5w20
You're going to fail, just get the expensive inspection. With or without catalytic converters...
How do you figure that? Because of the 228r?

Quick Reply: Hi flow cats and inspection question