RIP C5: Need an agressive attorney

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he doesn't have ins. Your insurance will fix it or cut you a check if it is totaled. If you have uninsured motorist. And then your insurance will sue the guy that hit you to get there money back.
Sorry for your loss
I have been there and done that
Old 12-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if it will be worth it in this case, but look into diminished value if they try to give you a poor value when totalling the C5.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
when i hit a bale of hay in the road a few years ago, the guy who's hay it was called a cop buddy who got there while i was trying to contact the local PD and his cop buddy said that the hay in the road was road debris and not his responsibility once it hit the road luckily my insurance company knew better and threatened to have the dude's license suspended if he didn't show proof of insurance and a license since the cop didn't get that info on the report and just listed the dude as a witness rather than party #1 or #2.
thats my point you never know, but the cop should've let them exchange info, unless they were being hostile to each other.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just had to deal with this with my insurance company because a girl took out the front end of my Buick in my apartment complex parking lot, of all places. Same scenario. I'm rolling along and she comes barreling out in a Ford Ranger and completely took off the bumper, headlights, fender and hood. Pretty similar to what you went through.

Even if the cop didn't show up I was snapping photos and license plates and everything.

OP, if you have uninsured then file on your insurance and let them subjugate against them. Give them photos and license plates and anything else you might have. Even if you have no accident report, the insurance companies have lawyers and this is all they do for a living.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
That's a lot of damage for going 40 MPH.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Domsz06
and the judge will not go against the cop... been there, done that.
You're not lying.

I fought a speeding ticket in Temple, TX when I was driving a friend to a hosptial. He was admitted to the emergency room and prescribed Vicodin for his injury. I told the cop we were on our way to the hospital and he didn't even care. When I fought it in court, I made the mistake of doing a "trial by judge" rather than "trial by jury". After explaining everything, providing the paperwork from the hospital, and even using a precedent that the judge himself ruled on in a similar case, he still ruled in favor of the cop.

Justice my ***...
Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KCS
You're not lying.

I fought a speeding ticket in Temple, TX when I was driving a friend to a hosptial. He was admitted to the emergency room and prescribed Vicodin for his injury. I told the cop we were on our way to the hospital and he didn't even care. When I fought it in court, I made the mistake of doing a "trial by judge" rather than "trial by jury". After explaining everything, providing the paperwork from the hospital, and even using a precedent that the judge himself ruled on in a similar case, he still ruled in favor of the cop.

Justice my ***...
but yet if you were a celebrity rushing back to rehab, you would have gotten off.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Launching!

WOW! i am sorry for you guys i know that was yalls baby and she got babied. I kow how it feels to have her molested in that fashion but hey it happens i know the frustration will go away all good things must come to an end.=

the insurance is going to total it but from the pics its not actually that hard to put back together. me and my dad bought a 01 z06 years back totaled like that and had it back together ready for paint in a day.

the insurance is going to offer you a total on what the car was worth..yours was ALL OEM and taken very good care of her no aftermarket parts..very good. im sure you have pics of it being always clean. very good. they will offer a lo0w ball price. do no accept, first offer. this is your trial, getting the most out of your car. they will give you the option to buy it back so you can repair it i recommend this unless you just want to let it be gone and buy a new one. but it can be repaired with a little patience, RUBY will be back better then ever, hey who knows you guys have always left her stock, maybe its time to get radical with her...if you know what i mean.

i was hit by a ford ranger DR pepper delivery truck earlier this year in that z06 we had fixed up very nice. it actually clipped my front drivers side and rolled five times.(the truck not me, i just got turned and jerked) same story here no sobreity witnesses, ppl said he was asleep, i later found out he had been working for 14 hours. insurance companies went to court i did nothing. except take a check for 20,000. and let the z06 go to auction. i miss her but like i said earlier sometimes all good things come to an end.
anyways good luck and i can repair it for you if you would like to keep her.
damage was similiar to your ruby. good luck to good people
Old 12-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Holy mother!!!! The car is done.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
I say have a mandatory driving test every 5 years.

I have been saying this for years. Maybe not a 8 hour all day saturday class, but at least a 4 hour to update you on law changes.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bballr4567
OP, that sucks. If the guy was backing out, in TX, he more than likely at fault. Simple as that. My mom was involved in something like this. She had pulled forward and stopped to BACK into a parking spot. A guy tried to pass behind her while she was backing up and she didnt see him until she hit him. Blame was put on her because she was backing in beside the fact that the guy tried to pass her on the right.
As far as I remember, if you pull into a roadway from a driveway or more minor road and get hit by someone already on that road you are at fault, unless you have already completely merged into the lane and are hit directly in the rear. You are also correct about backing up... if you are going the wrong way or reversing in a lane of traffic and get hit you are at fault.

As far as uninsured motorists go, when a guy backed into my Formula a few years back, I got the police to come down and check it out and file a report. The accident report assigned fault to the other guy... and he produced an insurance card. At any rate, when I went to file my claim, it turns out he had canceled the policy about right after he got it so the card appeared valid, but he had no coverage... At any rate I have uninsured motorist coverage, and my insurance company allegedly was taking him to court but I doubt I will see my deductible any time soon (or ever actually). What I thought is most stupid about this is that in the information age they make us carry some little pieces of paper when they should be able to verify active coverage in about a few seconds by connecting to a database.

The other thing to note is that most people that don't have coverage aren't going to have much money anyway so if you take them to court who knows if you will collect much of anything for your trouble.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:32 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
What I thought is most stupid about this is that in the information age they make us carry some little pieces of paper when they should be able to verify active coverage in about a few seconds by connecting to a database.
IIRC, that's actually about to change or has already. I know in Houston, police can tell if your registration is out by running your plates, and I'm pretty sure they can see if you don't have insurance on that vehicle either. It's about damn time too.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by imperial07
something sounds off, i'm betting the guy that hit you and the cop know each other.
something definitely sounds off, I agree, they knew each other somehow.

I think I would tag team it with your insurance company, they dont want to pay any more than you do and they have full time lawyers who are about as well versed as it gets. Im behind you though, fight like hell. I hate lying cops!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KCS
IIRC, that's actually about to change or has already. I know in Houston, police can tell if your registration is out by running your plates, and I'm pretty sure they can see if you don't have insurance on that vehicle either. It's about damn time too.
they've had SCMODS since 1980 at least

(that's State County Municipal Offender Data System)
Old 12-14-2010, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
something definitely sounds off, I agree, they knew each other somehow.

I think I would tag team it with your insurance company, they dont want to pay any more than you do and they have full time lawyers who are about as well versed as it gets. Im behind you though, fight like hell. I hate lying cops!
If its true then the magical world of facebook may be a good resource.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KCS
Yup!

http://www.texassure.com/Insuranceverification.html
Old 12-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Teching In

i got pulled over in sept. and the only the cop asked for was my license, he already knew about ins. and my tags before he walked up to the car. its good that all of that is in place now.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Teching In

40mph??????????????

not buying that.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The insurance companies will determine who is at fault regardless of who got a ticket. Since the other driver pulled out in front of you they are at fault.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Roller
40mph??????????????

not buying that.
I agree.