RIP C5: Need an agressive attorney

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RIP C5: Need an agressive attorney

Request to LOCK thread due to some members acting inapproriately. Lack of mannerism.

A man darted out in front from a driveway, our speed was 40mph on a 4-lane side street. Cop's first response when on the scene was "See what happens when you speed?" He didn't even get both sides of the story, and automatically wrote on report that it was his fault just because "It's a Corvette". Both airbags deployed, and not sure if other guy has insurance yet. Cop would not allow us to communicate. Tow truck charged us $180 to tow the car 5 miles. A witness said they smelled alcohol on other guys breath, when I questioned the cop, he said he had no reason to make him take a sobriety test.

We will be obtaining a VERY agressive attorney for this, will sue the crap out of that guy and his insurance, cause he darted out in front, totalling our girl called "Ruby". Driver is ok, and remarkably walked away with no broken bones just a small nose bleed. GM truly built these cars to protect the driver.

Please do not leave any "smart" remarks, my heart and stomach is in a knot right now.

Any attorney's tougher than "The Texas Hammer"? We will also file a complaint against the officer who did not do his job correctly, and made an incorrect determination before proper questioning.

If the car is totalled out and the other guy has no insurance, does my insurance pay us for the value of the car? Or are we stuck with nothing until the trial comes?

Bad drivers should be banned from driving; Dallas is notorious for people just not looking, pulling out, and rubbernecking and it's costing people bodily injury and their vehicles. I say have a mandatory driving test every 5 years.
Attached Thumbnails RIP C5: Need an agressive attorney-12-13-10-accident-front.jpeg   RIP C5: Need an agressive attorney-12-13-10-accident-driver-front-panel.jpeg   RIP C5: Need an agressive attorney-12-13-10-accident-psgr-front.jpeg   RIP C5: Need an agressive attorney-12-13-10-accident-scene-psgr-front.jpeg   RIP C5: Need an agressive attorney-12-13-10-accident-scene-w-leaks.jpeg  

Last edited by fasttagurl; 12-15-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Request to lock thread due to some members acting inapproriately
Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damm that sux! sorry about the loss, from own experience, DON'T go with the texas hammer, I had a bad experience with them, very bad experience, I got cut off by an old lady passing an intersection a while back and went with them, not a smart move. I know someone that knows a good one, I'll try to get that info for you today.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

hope you have some good witnesses otherwise its your word vs. the cops report.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Texas Hammer is a personal injury lawyer, and going the litigation route doesn't mean that everything is going to be hunky dory.

But man, that is a serious collision there. Exactly how fast were you going?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know of any attorney's. If the other guy had no insurance it will go on your policy under "uninsured motorist". They should have written him a ticket for no insurance. When you talk to your insurance company, let them know the whole story. They will fight as well because they don't want to pay for the other guys car, injuries, etc.

I have had an incident with an officer that was handled poorly as well. I called the police station and went up the ladder until I met with the Captian. He apologized and made excuses, but could not / would not change anything at that point. I let him know that he needed to retrain his people. Who knows, maybe bringing a local news crew might get more action.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

If your going to take this to court I suggest you delete this thread and make NO MORE contact on a public forum.

There have been lots of cases over on other forums I'm a member of where it looked like they had a good case, but then after the other lawyer got a hold of some of the fourms, they lost there ***.

Sorry it happened to you. Hope you get a speedy result, but the legal system is so slow and just not a good thing these days.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TINKRD
hope you have some good witnesses otherwise its your word vs. the cops report.
and the judge will not go against the cop... been there, done that.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Do you have uninsured/underinsured coverage? Otherwise you're basically screwed if he didn't have insurance.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Launching!

For future reference, if you say you were injured and get taken to the hospital, they have to perform a full on investigation, which means multiple cops with a better chance of someone finding out the other guy was intoxicated.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
But man, that is a serious collision there. Exactly how fast were you going?
40mph - the posted speed limit

Originally Posted by Domsz06
and the judge will not go against the cop... been there, done that.
Actually, no one on here can predict what will happen. I had a case one time where I convinced the jury that since the cop was not present, he cannot make a reasonable determination beyond a reasonable doubt. It's just what they "think" not what actually happened.

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
Do you have uninsured/underinsured coverage? Otherwise you're basically screwed if he didn't have insurance.
Yes, I have that coverage. You have too with the way people drive in Texas.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Unless there's an decent injury it won't be worth it to involve a lawyer. If the cop didn't administer a sobriety test there's no proof he was drunk driving so you won't be able to bring that up in a trial either.

There's probably little you can do except file on your insurance. It's very very strange the cop would not let you get his insurance information.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Teching In

something sounds off, i'm betting the guy that hit you and the cop know each other.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
40mph - the posted speed limit
That's a lot of damage for going 40 MPH.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by imperial07
something sounds off, i'm betting the guy that hit you and the cop know each other.
:facepalm:
Old 12-14-2010, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

What was the other vehicle involved?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

40mph is a lot faster than you think.. Especially since the only real structural support in a Corvette is the frame and bumper reinforcement.. everything else is plastic and fiberglass.

Car is most likely totaled. If he does not have insurance, you will have to file under yours and they will settle with you for the loss.

Sorry about the luck, I too know how it feels to have been wrongly accused of speeding in an accident.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99CamVanillaTop
What was the other vehicle involved?
Im gonna say that it looks like they either hit a truck or a larger SUV.

For a C5, that really isnt a lot of damage.

OP, that sucks. If the guy was backing out, in TX, he more than likely at fault. Simple as that. My mom was involved in something like this. She had pulled forward and stopped to BACK into a parking spot. A guy tried to pass behind her while she was backing up and she didnt see him until she hit him. Blame was put on her because she was backing in beside the fact that the guy tried to pass her on the right.

Fight this crap for sure. Hell, get the ECU read to SHOW how fast you were going. Is the speedo stuck? No reason to have a totaled car on your insurance.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

ive seen the damage result from a 90's model toyota hitting a telephone pole at less than 30mph.
its devastating. the damage in the crash could easily be caused at 40mph.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by imperial07
when i hit a bale of hay in the road a few years ago, the guy who's hay it was called a cop buddy who got there while i was trying to contact the local PD and his cop buddy said that the hay in the road was road debris and not his responsibility once it hit the road luckily my insurance company knew better and threatened to have the dude's license suspended if he didn't show proof of insurance and a license since the cop didn't get that info on the report and just listed the dude as a witness rather than party #1 or #2.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you are suing for damages to the car then don't waste your time with an attorney. They are only going to pay book value and maybe a little extra for any aftermarket parts on the car then depreciate them... I went through all kinds of BS when my 2009 Harley Davidson was stolen. We settled but it was not anywhere near what I paid out. The Insurance Company can drag it out for a long time, if you are making payments you need to remember each month you make a payment its money out of your pocket you will not get back. If it’s paid for and money is not an object then carry on…

If you are going after injuries then get an attorney...