Anyone bought from salvage auctions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone bought from salvage auctions?

I have been wanting to do this for a long time but I am wanting to hear from people that have actually done it. The whole Copart thing and related websites look confusing when it comes to actually buying the car.. Do you just bid on it like ebay or what?

If someone local could help me out it would be great.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think anyone takes you seriously anymore because you change your mind too much... Plus you're real young. And you need a dealer's license if you're going to be buying/selling vehicles.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do your research. Copart is mainly used for dealers...but is great If you have resources to fix and resale.there are some lots that allow you to but wo a dealer lic. if u have any specific questions ite looking for a particular vehicle shoot me a pm
Old 12-14-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
I don't think anyone takes you seriously anymore because you change your mind too much... Plus you're real young. And you need a dealer's license if you're going to be buying/selling vehicles.
Yes I change my mind a lot, who doesn't? I'm bored, I would rather be turning a wrench then popping pills which is the only thing other kids do nowadays. Flipping cars is fun to me, I enjoy it. I just wanna do some research before I barge into this, not start a war so if we could keep this friendly that would be great..

I know someone with a dealers license so I have that checked off. It's my step dads friend so I want to get all my stuff straight before I bug him about purchasing a car for me.

Originally Posted by Luckymex_dallas
do your research. Copart is mainly used for dealers...but is great If you have resources to fix and resale.there are some lots that allow you to but wo a dealer lic. if u have any specific questions ite looking for a particular vehicle shoot me a pm
Thanks, I will shoot you a pm soon.. Have you bought from there or anything like it before? I was really looking for something more to keep for a while like an SUV or truck.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you will find real quick that when you start dealing with auctions it is in your best interest to have a dealers license and go to dealer type auctions.

You can find good deals at public auctions but you will find most of the time people bidding in these auctions are individuals looking to buy for them selves. These people are willing to spend more than you since they are not trying to turn a profit. I love auctions and go to live ones a few times a month and participate in on line auctions as well.

I was once at an estate auction looking at some firearms for my collection. Well this particular week a large crowed showed up and they were paying a little under and sometimes over retail for used guns. The same type of situation happens with cars at public auctions.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
I think you will find real quick that when you start dealing with auctions it is in your best interest to have a dealers license and go to dealer type auctions.

You can find good deals at public auctions but you will find most of the time people bidding in these auctions are individuals looking to buy for them selves. These people are willing to spend more than you since they are not trying to turn a profit. I love auctions and go to live ones a few times a month and participate in on line auctions as well.

I was once at an estate auction looking at some firearms for my collection. Well this particular week a large crowed showed up and they were paying a little under and sometimes over retail for used guns. The same type of situation happens with cars at public auctions.
I know, but I guess it's one of those things that if it works out, I will get a dealers license.. I really need one anyways.

Some of these prices for wrecked cars are a little ridiculous though.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Teching In

I dont think its as easy as you think to just "pick" up a dealers license. Ive looked into it and its not something that anyone can just apply for, there are things you must have. Im not trying to shoot you down, Im just saying its not as easy as getting a drivers license.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dirty_z
I dont think its as easy as you think to just "pick" up a dealers license. Ive looked into it and its not something that anyone can just apply for, there are things you must have. Im not trying to shoot you down, Im just saying its not as easy as getting a drivers license.
Oh I'm sure, I haven't looked into it at all. I know they are suppose to be pretty expensive also. You happen to know how much they are? IIRC I think it's $1,000.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Oh I'm sure, I haven't looked into it at all. I know they are suppose to be pretty expensive also. You happen to know how much they are? IIRC I think it's $1,000.

Ive looked into it few years ago, and i think money is not the biggest problem. dont quote me, but you might have to prove that you own some sort of "dealership" or a "car lot". That step will take a lot of paperwork... Ive looked into some loopholes and didnt find many.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

haha good luck getting a dealers license. You have to have a store front, with a sign, and some other bullshit. You have to be a legit business to get one.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Try this iv always wanted to go to one but never had the chance idk if this is what ur looking for.
http://www.robertsonauto.com/
Old 12-15-2010, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

Retardedpenguin

I bought my car totaled from an auction. One of my friends has dealers license so I went with him. It was pretty fun to go and pick out my car. Just remember if you buy one totaled bring a flatbed or something to bring it home with lol . Don’t use the towing service that wait outside damn they charge a lot.

If you want a fun project then buy a totaled car it will keep you busy for a long time lol
Old 12-15-2010, 10:09 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

if you plan to flip cars buying a wrecked car is not a great option because cars with salvage titles are really hard to sell. But good luck to you. I have been doing something similar myself. but i buy cars with mechanical issues. I dont make much profit because i usually give people good money for thier cars thus not leaving me much room negotiate my price. I have never been to an auction because i dont understand the websites at all. i just use craigslist. unfortunately so do scam artists and i have to deal with them from time to time.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Launching!

I've bought and flipped cars on and off for about 10 years. I buy ex-govt cars, like police cars and city trucks, and the occasional seizure vehicle. These are all from public auctions. You have to know the market for what you're buying, and pass over a lot more than you buy. I'd say after purchase price, any reconditioning, taxes and registration (I don't jump title), insurance, etc. I usually clear between $600 and $1200 per car. I've had the occasional home run, netting $2k or over. I usually drive the vehicles I buy for a little while, sometimes just long enough to get the title back (3 weeks), and sometimes for a few months. Just a few months ago, I did my best one - a 2004 F350 crew 6.0 diesel. I had about $6500 total in it, after converting the front end from work truck to chrome grille and H/D headlights, and steel wheels to nice polished aluminum take-offs. I sold it for $9500 on ebay. The worst I've ever done is break even, if I get a turd that needed more work, or if I just get ready to get rid of it quickly. It can be a pain, but I've more or less perfected it over the years. The only way I'd mess with a salvage title vehicle is for parts, or to rebuild and drive it until it dies.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To be honest I was really just looking at getting an 08+ f250 to put a big *** lift on and keep. I have found quite a few nice theft ones.

I did find a sweet new style escalade though that was hit in the front but not too bad. Would be a fun project to fix up and resell plus I could tow with it.

Thanks for the help guys. Looking to do something different than old *** cars and this seems to be it.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

EARL hit it on the head with the comment you will pass up alot more than you will buy.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

FOr a dealers license you have to have a place with a building with working public restrooms and a place to park at least 5 cars. This can not be your residence either and has to have its own seperate phone line. You have to get bonded also.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
To be honest I was really just looking at getting an 08+ f250 to put a big *** lift on and keep. I have found quite a few nice theft ones.

I did find a sweet new style escalade though that was hit in the front but not too bad. Would be a fun project to fix up and resell plus I could tow with it.

Thanks for the help guys. Looking to do something different than old *** cars and this seems to be it.
didnt you just buy an f250 to keep, but you sold it like a week later?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
didnt you just buy an f250 to keep, but you sold it like a week later?
Hes just like a dealer if someone gives him the right price for his car or truck he will sell it. Someone did just that and he couldn't turn it down ... I would do the same thing lol.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I made like $2,000 profit off that thing in a week. Would take me a couple months to make that working, of course I sold it.

Thing was kind of an experiment for me and I loved it, can't wait to get another.