I knew it! Mustang Answers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nghisus
The Cobra is Ford's flagship sports car, it should be compared to Chevy's flagship, the Vette. How much were Cobras during that time frame?
A 4v N/A Cobra would smoke an Lt1 powered C4 Vette. The C5 probably had a slight advantage though.

As for price, you guys are knit picking again. Mustangs were typically 3-5K less than the F body if I remember right.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
you guys are knit picking again
GT = Z28 ; Apples to Apples.

Cobra = Z28 ; Apples to Oranges.

I've always felt the Cobra was a different class of car. That's not an insult, it's a compliment. Take it as one.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Oh come on now, you know you enjoyed working on the back half of an LT1 that was stuffed under the cowl! That was half the "fun" of owning one! I used to always have friends come ask if I would change their spark plugs or put on a new intake. I'd have them do most of the rear work to "earn their stripes", lol. It does make me pine for the days when I had my second gen with a huge engine bay.....
Working on the Typhoon/Cyclone was the bitch!!!! I liked the concept but wanted to claw my eye ***** out when someone would bring one into our shop. I never worked on any turbo 3.8 stuff but had buddies with GN's and they didn't seem to bitch about it so they must have not been too bad to work on. Another car that was a real bitch is the TT 300ZX. One of my employees had one back in the late 90's. I told him good ******* luck kid........
Old 12-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

GT = Z28 ; Apples to Apples.

Cobra = Z28 ; Apples to Oranges.

I've always felt the Cobra was a different class of car. That's not an insult, it's a compliment. Take it as one.
So I guess you were one of the ones crying about the other guy having a Cobra? It was nothing more than a Gt with a set of 4V heads on it. If you were talking about a Terminator, I would agree about it being in a different class.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I guess you were one of the ones crying about the other guy having a Cobra? It was nothing more than a Gt with a set of 4V heads on it.
I never cried, I wanted one. I raced them just like I raced the GT. Most of the Cobra owners I encountered in my street racing days were rich kids with limp bizkut hats and thin gold chains or old men. Both of those types of owners usually couldn't drive for **** and I capitalized on it. A set of heads on the 4.6 made a huge difference, but Ford didn't do it. SVT did. Some like to try and compare the SS with the Cobra, bullshit. The SS was a freakin body kit and suspension. The Cobra had some real **** done to it. You can act like I'm your enemy all day long, but I'm not trying to be a dick I'm trying to have a conversation. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't like you or that I hold anything against you either personally or professionally.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

I never cried, I wanted one. I raced them just like I raced the GT. Most of the Cobra owners I encountered in my street racing days were rich kids with limp bizkut hats and thin gold chains or old men. Both of those types of owners usually couldn't drive for **** and I capitalized on it. A set of heads on the 4.6 made a huge difference, but Ford didn't do it. SVT did. Some like to try and compare the SS with the Cobra, bullshit. The SS was a freakin body kit and suspension. The Cobra had some real **** done to it.
Cobra guys are alot like Vette guys or any other little niche group. It is what it is. The Cobra really and truely was the same car as the Gt with a little stronger short block and a different set of heads. You could make the comparison of a Ls1 and a Ls6.

You can act like I'm your enemy all day long, but I'm not trying to be a dick I'm trying to have a conversation. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't like you or that I hold anything against you either personally or professionally.
Why in the world would I think you were my enemy or a dick? I have lots of friends with GM's just like I have friends that are liberals in politics. I might disagree with them on certain subjects but that doesn't mean I am their enemy. Gm has made some really nice **** lately. I personally have always been a fan of the CTS-V. The Zo6 is pretty damn nice too. My wife has been wanting a 5th gen Camaro SS but I don't want to jump into another car payment. Her Gt is almost paid off and is in great shape with low miles. Its more than she needs as it is. Ideally I would like an SRT/8 Challenger with power adder on it and a 6 speed but that damn thing called price just gets in the way.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why in the world would I think you were my enemy or a dick?
Oh, I didn't know if you were thinking that or not, it was just a vibe. Apparently I read it wrong (damn internet, lol).
Old 12-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

All this discourse over Mustang or Camaro, screw both of you guys, I'm getting a turbo Caravan!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nghisus
All this discourse over Mustang or Camaro, screw both of you guys, I'm getting a turbo Caravan...
There's a guy who runs around in one of those locally. He's pretty quick too, haha!

*EDIT* - and I think it's safe to assume what demographic buys the Caravan as well! <<< ties joke back to the original topic
Old 12-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

There's a guy who runs around in one of those locally. He's pretty quick too, haha!

*EDIT* - and I think it's safe to assume what demographic buys the Caravan as well! <<< ties joke back to the original topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhcOBrsk0nc

Here's one killing a Camaro, not sure if its an LT1, lemme find one destroying a 4.6 hahaha
Old 12-20-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These arguements are alwasy ridiculous.

Coming from working on many many foxbodies, first thigns first, a stock or relatively stock 5.0 foxbody is slow as ****.
Plus the 5.0 isnt really **** nowadays, it was badass back in its day, its just too far behind now. Some people may still be doing big things with them but when your dropping serious coin into a build well it really doesnt matter what you start with.

Think about it, the same people that swing on the 5.0 bash on the LT1. lets compare
Which one splits blocks at around 500hp? Similar build H/C 5.0s are normally down about 60-100hp on a comparable LT1.

There was a member on here with a custom cam and some AFRS on a 5.0 made 328whp.A similarly built LT1 could easily eclipse 400whp.

And if you couldnt get an LT1 to run right well thats just your problem its not the engines fault its the builders fault. I have never once had a problem getting an LT1 to run right.

You can complain all day long about well i have less cubic inches or I dont have FI or he spend x amoutn more dollars. It doesnt matter, you picked what you picked, and you get to deal with it. Plus all this getting it done with less cubes is stupid, unless your racing in a displacement restricted class nobody cares how big your engines displacement is.
HP/LITER is ricer math

And about Mopar not knowing what they are doing, lets look ta the challenger, first of 4700lbs is way TOO High. Ive seen curbweights quoted between 3834-4037 as far as power, the 5.7 makes 357 and the 6.1 is 425 and the 6.4 last I checked is unannounced
Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Yep, the biggest thing Ford did right with the new 5.0 Mustang is the curb weight for sure.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I dunno man, the stock LT1 crank is not known for supporting tons of HP.
uh, yea. actually it is.

reguardless, i was talking about built motors

Last edited by ElkySS; 12-20-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q6Qs...e_gdata_player
Old 12-20-2010, 06:18 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know about smashing a stang with your carbed out f bomb but maybe so. I know here locally, back in the late 90's up to the mid 00's our local track use to run a F body vs. Mustang shoot out and there really was no comparison. You might have a handful of fast F bodys show up and there would be 5 times the amount of fast Mustangs show up. Us Mustang guys would have to run each other to thin out the pack so that there would be an equal number of Mustangs vs. the F boats in the eliminations part of the race. These were street cars not tube chassis or back halved drag cars.

Got to remember, a Fox car only runs so well since the lack of weight, not because the motor are decent, there is a guy here witha all stock 6.0 in a fox body, carbed and cammed, unported heads turning 9s all motor on pump gas, never could happen with any 302 or 351 with pump has, stock short block with ANY heads you put on it. Unless someone can prove me wrong anyway.

Just shows chevy power in a light car get down hard.

That is why Ford doesnt rule in category where weight restrictions even things up so there is no HP to weight advantage to save them.

That is what i see anyway.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Got to remember, a Fox car only runs so well since the lack of weight, not because the motor are decent, there is a guy here witha all stock 6.0 in a fox body, carbed and cammed, unported heads turning 9s all motor on pump gas, never could happen with any 302 or 351 with pump has, stock short block with ANY heads you put on it. Unless someone can prove me wrong anyway.
I have no doubt that the Ls based 6.0 in a Mustang would run very well. If he's running 9's its probably a gutted out drag car weighing 2700lbs or so with out driver. I have never denied that the LS engines will make good power. I will how ever say that the LT1 and older efi SBC will get their butts handed to them by a hot little efi 302 based combo. I've seen it first hand more times than I can count. Part of that is because the Mustang was lighter but remember it also came with 302 cubic inches instead of 350 like its GM counter part. The 4V was 281 cubic inches and would spank the 350 cid LT1.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
never could happen with any 302 or 351 with pump has, stock short block with ANY heads you put on it. Unless someone can prove me wrong anyway.

Have you ever heard of factory stock in NMRA? These guys are getting it done with a very limited amount of mods to a stock configuration 5.0L.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkDyqGUSzRk

Give them another 65-70 cubic inches and I'm pretty sure they would be well into the 9's.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Does somebody have the actual curb weights for the 5th gen Camaro and the 2011 GT Mustang? I've seen a lot of conflicting information.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Pimp

Why must there be so many idiots on this site? I remember when you could get beat up for posting dumb ****. Now ten jerkoffs will post right after the first idiot. Let me be clear...ten dumb asses saying the same dumb **** doesn't make you morons right.. Just makes you a liberal.

I'm posting from my phone so excuse the sweet grammar.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t_numbers.html

Found this comparison. Here's the thing about GM cars. Sometimes they do pretty well with fit and finish, sometimes it turrible!!!!!!!! For example my brother owned a Pontiac Solstice GXP. We were very impressed by the power the car made. I mean it made gobs of power. However, you couldn't see anything out of the damned thing, you couldn't adjust the reclining mechanism without opening the door, it had zero trunk with the top down and if you could get the trunk closed on the first try, I would gladly had you a check. BUT! It had a bullet proof engine and transmission. Compare that car to say a hard top NC Miata. The miata makes 60 less horsepower and even less with mods, but its a totally livable car. Used they are similarly priced, yes they can be found. It has a hard top, its not as cramped believe it or not, it has usable cup holders, the list goes on and on. Same thing with the Z4 3.0 I owned. Now the GXP has more modding potential and would be faster than both for less money, but is it worth living with everyday? Helllll no.

The power advantage with our current pony cars goes to GM without question. But the package as a whole goes to the Mustang GT. That's from factory, not after some guy with a wrench gets through with them. I love the LS series engines, the best bang for your buck right now would be a used LS car, even a C5. But if I were to go buy a brand new car right now (which would never happen, I hate buying new cars) it would have to be the Mustang GT.

To be honest, my favorite GM car in the past 5 years has to be the Cobalt SS. Crucify me if you must but I liked having a fairly quick car that got 30+ mpg.