I knew it! Mustang Answers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quit crying about cubic inches, your the one that likes ford.

Thatd be like choosing to date fat girls then complaining about their nasty gut touching me.

I could always say well what if chevy did 4V heads or what if they did FI, oh wait they did and the LS9 makes more HP than the fabled GT, almost a hundred more.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
I have no doubt that the Ls based 6.0 in a Mustang would run very well. If he's running 9's its probably a gutted out drag car weighing 2700lbs or so with out driver. I have never denied that the LS engines will make good power. I will how ever say that the LT1 and older efi SBC will get their butts handed to them by a hot little efi 302 based combo. I've seen it first hand more times than I can count. Part of that is because the Mustang was lighter but remember it also came with 302 cubic inches instead of 350 like its GM counter part. The 4V was 281 cubic inches and would spank the 350 cid LT1.
This debate will never end and is pretty much worthless to continue. Mustangs where on top from 87-95 then Camaros and in 2011 it switched back with the introduction of the new 5.0.

People want to talk about a cobra being rare or what ever the case may be none the less fact of the matter is it was still a mustang and there was not a Camaro which could come around them in most years, No SS and no Z-28. Ford did it back then with less cubic inch and is doing it again. For how long? Who knows.

As for a 302 or 351 getting in the 9s on pump gas not being possible I advise you to do some research as its been done many times. When it comes down to it the motor, car or driver doesnt make a difference, none of our cars are stock and we all spend stupid amounts of money on them making them faster in hopes to out run someone else. Its a timeless argument that will never end or be answered.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by _Zac
Why must there be so many idiots on this site? I remember when you could get beat up for posting dumb ****. Now ten jerkoffs will post right after the first idiot. Let me be clear...ten dumb asses saying the same dumb **** doesn't make you morons right.. Just makes you a liberal.

I'm posting from my phone so excuse the sweet grammar.
Who are you talking to? I don't think anybody posting has really tried to make anything personal, most of its been in good fun.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
quit crying about cubic inches, your the one that likes ford.

Thatd be like choosing to date fat girls then complaining about their nasty gut touching me.

I could always say well what if chevy did 4V heads or what if they did FI, oh wait they did and the LS9 makes more HP than the fabled GT, almost a hundred more.
I think when it comes to HP, GM is usually the clear winner. When it comes to the entire car as a package things get debatable in terms of Mustang Vs Camaro and that's what makes it fun.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2_slow_5.0
This debate will never end and is pretty much worthless to continue. Mustangs where on top from 87-95 then Camaros and in 2011 it switched back with the introduction of the new 5.0.

People want to talk about a cobra being rare or what ever the case may be none the less fact of the matter is it was still a mustang and there was not a Camaro which could come around them in most years, No SS and no Z-28. Ford did it back then with less cubic inch and is doing it again. For how long? Who knows.

As for a 302 or 351 getting in the 9s on pump gas not being possible I advise you to do some research as its been done many times. When it comes down to it the motor, car or driver doesnt make a difference, none of our cars are stock and we all spend stupid amounts of money on them making them faster in hopes to out run someone else. Its a timeless argument that will never end or be answered.
are u talking about performance or overall?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nghisus
I think when it comes to HP, GM is usually the clear winner. When it comes to the entire car as a package things get debatable in terms of Mustang Vs Camaro and that's what makes it fun.
GM hit the ball out of the park withthe Ls based engine and I will completely admit that. We can go back and forth on the Lt based engine being swell or crap. Personally I think its a POS. As I said in the beginning, Ford and the people who own them have always done more with less. I wish Ford would have stepped up and offered the 351 as an option in the Mustang but it never happend. I wish they would have put more cubic inches into the mod motors as well but it didn't happen either. Breaking it down on a power per cubic inch basis, Ford in stock form is on par for the most part. The new 5.0 DOHC is taking it to another level in my opinion and I look foward to what Gm and Mopar are going to do about it.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Sorry at work ad on my phone.. I totally agree with it being an endless debate... But that 87-95 mustang outperformed gm.. I don't think so.. Please back up this statement if u do truly believe that.. See endless debate lol
Old 12-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Got to remember, a Fox car only runs so well since the lack of weight, not because the motor are decent, there is a guy here witha all stock 6.0 in a fox body, carbed and cammed, unported heads turning 9s all motor on pump gas, never could happen with any 302 or 351 with pump has, stock short block with ANY heads you put on it. Unless someone can prove me wrong anyway.

Just shows chevy power in a light car get down hard.

That is why Ford doesnt rule in category where weight restrictions even things up so there is no HP to weight advantage to save them.

That is what i see anyway.
small block no power adder http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=jw4xTpJZZn0
Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This board has turned retarded.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A 96-98 Cobra would drag an Lt1's *** all day and all night when comparing stock for stock.
The 4V was 281 cubic inches and would spank the 350 cid LT1.
I would have to disagree.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00ls1z
are u talking about performance or overall?
No there is a debate on if it is performance or overall? Come on man overall performance. You want to talk about power? Hands down GM has made more power, the few years Ford made more it was due to being forced induction but every year GM did it due to more cubic inch. Whats the point? Some people like turbos some like dope its all the same in the end GM guys cry about a blower Ford guys cry about cubic inch doesnt matter its a timeless debate that will never end.

Mustangs are compared to both the camaro and the vette but some reason never once was the camaro compared to the Ford GT. Dont mean anything by it just saying, and yes I realize the cost difference. Take 99-02 the Mustang GT was just over half the cost of a Camaro yet it still gets compared to everything. You wonder why it was or is the best selling "muscle" car? Its no mystery unless you are just to stupid to understand basic economics.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Spiers
I would have to disagree.

1997 Ford Mustang Cobra:

Curb Weight:3404 lbs.
0-60: 5.8 seconds
1/4: 14.0
4.6 Liter V8
HP:305@5800 rpms
TQ:300@4800 rpms
Top Speed: 152 mph

1997 Chevrolet Camaro SS:

Curb Weight:3375
0-60: 5.4
1/4: 13.8
5.7 Liter V8
HP: 310@5200 rpms
Top Speed: 155 mph
TQ: 335@2400 rpms

2 tenths?? Cant say anyone has the upper hand in that battle but GM did make more power and had a quicker ET with 70 more cubic inch. Not something I would really brag about given it could go either way with a swift wind.

2002??

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ang_specs.html

Again nothing major to set them apart by any thing worth speaking of well other then price yet again!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

True, that's a very close battle. Hardly the Cobra "dragging the LT1's ***." Who cares about cubic inch, FI, etc?... IT IS WHAT IT IS. We are talking about stock vs stock, not "what if"...

If you wanted to use that argument then compare the 2002 F-body vs the 03-04 Cobra.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2_slow_5.0
2 tenths?? Cant say anyone has the upper hand in that battle but GM did make more power and had a quicker ET with 70 more cubic inch. Not something I would really brag about given it could go either way with a swift wind.
I don't know about 2 tenths. There must be some no driving *** Camaro drivers out there because I've seen a many Sn95 4v's kill the Lt1 F body from a dig and from a roll. Put a set of 4.30's in the rear and its not even a race.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know about 2 tenths. There must be some no driving *** Camaro drivers out there because I've seen a many Sn95 4v's kill the Lt1 F body from a dig and from a roll. Put a set of 4.30's in the rear and its not even a race.
There must be?? The facts are listed right above. Of course, anything can happen, especially on the street. For instance: A couple years ago, while my car was bone stock, with a failing opti (imagine that) and a 6 speed, I raced a friend of mine in his '96 Cobra. Low mileage, xpipe/exh, 4.10 gears, intake, 5spd, short shifter, etc...was a really nice car. We went from a dig, up through 4th gear and he had a bumper on me, barely nosed me out. And I even had a 250lb passenger. With bolt ons I raced several 99/01 Cobra's and it was no contest. However running into a 03/04 Mach 1 was a different story...
Old 12-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Bro I am not bias one way or another and I have personally walked right around cars which I know damn well over power me. Yes I have seen 4v's kill LT1's also just as I have seen LT1's kill 4v's it doesnt solve anything.

As for comparing the 03-04 Cobras thats a loosing battle for any LS owner as 80 bucks will net you 470+ hp at the tire. Can tell me there is a single mod any LS can install that cost 80 bucks and gain nearly 100 hp. Even modded to hell the 03-04 cobra has it as the stock motor including cams, heads, crank, rods and block will push out 1k hp. Cant tell me you can slap a turbo or big blower on a LS1, 2 or 3 and net the same results can you?

Why is it a pissing contest? Because everyone always wants to claim to be superior.

Growing up my father had 2 67 camaros and raced them every weekend later switching to dirt track again with GM stuff. When I came home with a Mustang he was like "Son I didnt raise you like that" LOL When I built my turbo car several years ago and told him it would make around 1k to the tire he said no way I can get that out of a 347 ci motor. Needless to say I did and he was amazed. Nothing has changed it was a battle in the 70's and its still a battle today. There is nothing you can do with one you cant do with the other. If the new camaros didnt cost so damn much I would have one just as the mustangs but I refuse to shell out 45+k for a ******* car when I can use that to pay my house off or something worth while.

I bought an 03 cobra 2 years ago for 17k and to this day I can sell it for 20k. Most expensive car I have ever bought and only have it because its value isnt dropping. Granted I had close to 40k in my turbo car but thats a hobby I dont need a new edge camaro or mustang as a hobby car its a depreciating investment that will only cost more and more all while losing value in the process.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiers
There must be?? The facts are listed right above. Of course, anything can happen, especially on the street. For instance: A couple years ago, while my car was bone stock, with a failing opti (imagine that) and a 6 speed, I raced a friend of mine in his '96 Cobra. Low mileage, xpipe/exh, 4.10 gears, intake, 5spd, short shifter, etc...was a really nice car. We went from a dig, up through 4th gear and he had a bumper on me, barely nosed me out. And I even had a 250lb passenger. With bolt ons I raced several 99/01 Cobra's and it was no contest. However running into a 03/04 Mach 1 was a different story...
The Mach 1 was a N/A 4V. I don't think it was much different than the older N/A Cobra. with some different wheels and interior.

We have really digressed from the original topic of this thread though. If some internet article says the Mustang is a chic car, I'm fine with that. Just remember the next time you see the tail lights of one, regardless of what is done to it and regardless of all your excuses, YOU JUST GOT BEAT BY A CHIC's CAR!!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
And about Mopar not knowing what they are doing, lets look ta the challenger, first of 4700lbs is way TOO High. Ive seen curbweights quoted between 3834-4037 as far as power, the 5.7 makes 357 and the 6.1 is 425 and the 6.4 last I checked is unannounced
Mopar is coming out with a new challenger...it is called the SRT8 392. it will produce 470/470 and a curb weight of 4260 (my bad, but still to fat IMO, my Cadillac weighs less, haha). 0-60 time of 4.6 and 1/4 of 13.0 at 111.3. the funniest line "the camaro is no longer the biggest muscle at muscle beach." it may not have the biggest muscle, but it aint the one with the biggest beer gut. god i hate motor trend, but heres the video.

SRT8 392
Old 12-21-2010, 06:59 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I have no doubt that the Ls based 6.0 in a Mustang would run very well. If he's running 9's its probably a gutted out drag car weighing 2700lbs or so with out driver. I have never denied that the LS engines will make good power. I will how ever say that the LT1 and older efi SBC will get their butts handed to them by a hot little efi 302 based combo. I've seen it first hand more times than I can count. Part of that is because the Mustang was lighter but remember it also came with 302 cubic inches instead of 350 like its GM counter part. The 4V was 281 cubic inches and would spank the 350 cid LT1.

well, i had a 383 at one time i had about 1000$ in parts and murdered every 302 powered fox i cam across motor for motor, but my new 6.o does them even worse.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
well, i had a 383 at one time i had about 1000$ in parts and murdered every 302 powered fox i cam across motor for motor, but my new 6.o does them even worse.
We live near one another and I have no problem setting something up with your 6.0 modern day LS motor vs my 4.6 modern day Ford modular turd. I think you have a cam if I remember right and I am stock all the way. We can do this from a dig and or a roll doesnt matter, also I have a decent video camera to record the results. I will pop the hood for you and you can inspect anything you want.

Just let me know.