Just sold my Ipad on ebay, how do I ensure I won't get scammed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just sold my Ipad on ebay, how do I ensure I won't get scammed?

A user on eBay used the "Buy it Now" option and bought my WiFi + 3G iPad, but he has no history of transactions or anything and created his account today. The transaction is going through paypal, but I need to know all the steps to take to insure that I won't get scammed.

Are there certain things I can do to make sure I get my money, or should I just use another way to sell this thing?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just make sure its in your account before you ship it or you ask him to send a money order to skip the paypal fees also.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Hate to say it but using paypal more often than not youll get screwed. The buyer can receive the item and dispute the charge and the money will get taken back from you even though he has your ipad. Stick to a local sale or somebody with a good buying history.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

So is there more risk for getting scammed through paypal/eBay by being a buyer than being a seller? I figured if I just request payment, wait until it clears, have it transferred to my bank account, withdraw money, ship item and get delivery confirmation I should be all set.

Then there would be no way that the buyer could say that he didn't receive the product.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by highheat99
Just make sure its in your account before you ship it or you ask him to send a money order to skip the paypal fees also.
THIS

I remember when i sold my iphone, i was in the same situation. I got a fake email and they used the email address for my ebay account. So when i got it saying it was from paypal i knew it was fake. I have an email account for ebay, and another for your paypal.

Just log into paypal and make sure the money is there. If its not, dont ship. This happened to me about 6 times before it was actually some one who was actually trying to buy it. It was actually really frustrating because they kept using the buy now feature to try to keep scamming me. Different accounts though.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
Hate to say it but using paypal more often than not youll get screwed. The buyer can receive the item and dispute the charge and the money will get taken back from you even though he has your ipad. Stick to a local sale or somebody with a good buying history.
Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think. Should I cancel this and try selling through amazon instead, and use another payment method? Paypal has become a haven for scammers.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

This is what was listed on the eBay email I received, saying it had been bought:

Dear seller i am the buyer of your item and i hope it is in good condition as described please mail your paypal email to me for confirmation so that i can make payment immediately thanks

I would like to have the item shipped to the address below:
First Product
534 STATE ROUTE 20B
OPP, AL 36467 United States
Old 03-13-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tripps
So is there more risk for getting scammed through paypal/eBay by being a buyer than being a seller? I figured if I just request payment, wait until it clears, have it transferred to my bank account, withdraw money, ship item and get delivery confirmation I should be all set.

Then there would be no way that the buyer could say that he didn't receive the product.
Actually i had someone try to do this to me all i had to do was provide the tracking # to paypal. No big deal.

What you can also do is ask the buy if you want it to require a signature or not. IF NOT, then its at their own risk. Just save the messages.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tripps
This is what was listed on the eBay email I received, saying it had been bought:
Tell him to pay through ebays paypal feature.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 204 Likes on 124 Posts

make sure the $ gets in your hand before u ship it case closed !!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Any preferred method of shipment to really help me prove the item was shipped? UPS ground/USPS? I figure with either method I can use delivery confirmation with signature to prove he received it.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use any delivery service as long as they supply a tracking number. Paypal will let you know if it's safe to ship the item, which guarantees you'll receive the payment.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just get the paypal money, transfer it to your bank account and call it a day. If he disputes it, they'll have no money to take back. Problem solved
Old 03-13-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by madmike9396
make sure the $ gets in your hand before u ship it case closed !!!!
this man speaks the truth. close this silly thread.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 PM
9 Second Club

This actually happened to me when i sold my iphone 3g.

- ship to 48 states only
- look at the buyers feedback
- have a signature delivery that you can track (reg ground you can track to a point, not good enough though) just trust me on this one.
- insure the item you ship
- be polite and curtious when emailing through ebay, they keep an eye on everything that goes on, on their site
- keep an eye on your item (tracking)
- have the buyer email you, through ebay, their shipping address. sometimes it isnt correct on their paypal site.
- ebay will side on the purchaser's side before the sellers.

i had the money from my sell (cash in my hand) and shipped it off, the buyer disputed the sell 5 days after the sell and wanted a refund after i shipped it (to ukraine) it took 3 weeks to get over there and he disputed the transaction and ebay refunded him the money and came after me for the money, they locked out my ebay and paypal account. i got ahold of USPS (dont use) and found out when it was delivered. i got that info to ebay and they corrected the problem, it was a huge pita

Last edited by v8sten; 03-13-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:52 PM
9 Second Club

Some people are saying make sure the money is in your paypal before you ship it. Wait for it to be in your BANK ACCOUNT before you ship anything. Even if it shows up in your paypal account, it doesn't mean a damn thing.

Also, USPS is notorious for having a really, REALLY crappy tracking system. I would recommend a premium service (ups, fedex, ect) that way if they try to dispute it, you can show when it was picked up, when it was shipped, how much it weighed, ect.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, only ship to the address in paypal. If he gives you a different address to ship to then the one paypal has on file they may deny your claim if something happens.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by v8sten
This actually happened to me when i sold my iphone 3g.

- ship to 48 states only
- look at the buyers feedback
- have a signature delivery that you can track (reg ground you can track to a point, not good enough though) just trust me on this one.
- insure the item you ship
- be polite and curtious when emailing through ebay, they keep an eye on everything that goes on, on their site
- keep an eye on your item (tracking)
- have the buyer email you, through ebay, their shipping address. sometimes it isnt correct on their paypal site.
- ebay will side on the purchaser's side before the sellers.

i had the money from my sell (cash in my hand) and shipped it off, the buyer disputed the sell 5 days after the sell and wanted a refund after i shipped it (to ukraine) it took 3 weeks to get over there and he disputed the transaction and ebay refunded him the money and came after me for the money, they locked out my ebay and paypal account. i got ahold of USPS (dont use) and found out when it was delivered. i got that info to ebay and they corrected the problem, it was a huge pita
that list is a very good one.

one thing i would add, to prove that you didnt ship it damaged (even with insurence) take pictures as the item is being boxed with something in the picture to prove the date.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Just as I suspected, it's a scam. Here is his response to me when I outlined exactly how the deal would go:

i will like you to help me ship the item directly to my fiance as a gift via USPS Express Mail Service (EMS) to the address confirmed by PayPal. I have contacted PayPal for your money with the extra shipping cost of $100. Please ship the item as soon as you receive Payment confirmation from PayPal and get back to me. Here is the address to ship to below:
NAME: AKINTOBI SMITH
ADDRESS: 24,FALOMO STREET
CITY: AKURE
STATE: ONDO STATE
POSTAL CODE: 23434
pls note i want you to ship it via USPS Express Mail Service (EMS) to my fiance
Thanks and I am very sorry for any inconvenience
Classic case of the eBay-Nigeria scam. I'll try to sell through Amazon, I've never had problems through there.

Last edited by tripps; 03-14-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Just got the "notification of payment" email from "paypal"....major errors all over the page regarding the spelling of his name and email address. I also checked my actual paypal account and there is nothing there. I wish there was a way I could mess with the guy, like "p-p-powerbook scam", but I don't have the time.

Here is a link to the greatness that is that scam: http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Quick Reply: Just sold my Ipad on ebay, how do I ensure I won't get scammed?