Any firefighters? Or anyone taking the exams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any firefighters? Or anyone taking the exams?

I'm all signed up to take my civil service exam with Mesquite on Saturday morning and then Tuesday afternoon with Dallas. I was wondering if any others were signed up too and looking for careers in the fire service, just curious

Also, any firefighters out there that have any tips? I've been taking practice tests for the exam but the tips don't have to be for that, they can be tips in general for the interview process, the agility test, etc. I'm currently taking two courses at a community college, Fire Administration and Fire Strategies/Tactics so I've been learning a lot from those classes.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated
Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Launching!

I am planning on taking some courses later this year to get started.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Teching In

I have a friend that just failed by 1 point for a Beaumont area department but he hasn't gave up hope.

I work closely with a few departments and actually volunteer at two of them. Mad props to the guys that do it for a living but expect to work some crazy hours. Most that I know don't only work for 1 department
Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lubbock's written test is in April! I'll be there. The worst part, for me, is the human resources questions. It's like every question has two or three answers that could be right, and you have to pick the better of them. The rest of the exam is crazy easy for me, math included.

And then there's the CPAT test....which dominated me last year

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

I'm a firefighter for the city of Houston and love it. I work 2 days a week and get 5 off. Plenty of time to do nothing.... As far as the civil service test is more basic knowledge and common sense
Old 03-24-2011, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Firefighter/Paramedic here for the City of West University Place (Houston). Been here for 2 years and am a Captain in a volunteer department where I have been for 7 years.

Practice tests are good to an extent. Keep your background clean (DWI, DUI, etc.). Always act professional when going to a department to test, interview, whatever. Remember you are actually "interviewing" for the job from the minute you step foot in the door......especially with smaller departments like the one I am in. As far as the physical agility all you can do is be in shape. Work out often and eat right.

Good luck!

Brent
Old 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Launching!

thanks for the tips guys!

I have a clean record, fresh out of college and ready to have a career with some action and physical activity!

I hope to find a volunteer department that I can help out at once I relocate to a place where I get recruited (God willing that I get recruited)
Old 03-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Launching!

anyone taking the Dallas exam tomorrow afternoon?

Mesquite was on Saturday morning and I was real nervous about it because it was my first exam and I didn't know what to expect but I think it went well and now I'm ready for Dallas.

Hopefully I get the call back for the physical next week from Mesquite

Good luck to anyone testing!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by s/c stang
I'm a firefighter for the city of Houston and love it. I work 2 days a week and get 5 off. Plenty of time to do nothing.... As far as the civil service test is more basic knowledge and common sense
Me too Study, study and then study some more. One or two questions missed can cost you the opportunity. This happened to my brother. As for the physical part, push ups and sit ups until you can't anymore. We did them by the 100's everyday in the academy. Stamina is key. I have been in a little while and still can't wait to get to work. Shift ended this morning at 6:30, and I don't go back until Saturday. Can't beat that.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Move to Pearland, they basically said if I wanted to make a career out of it that they would hire me on the spot and put me through training.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good luck on your test
Im ops, awareness and taking my test for tech tomorrow
Passed chemistry
I don't know What your test consists of but they say a portion
Of our 2 month training is based on fire fighter training
Alot of what we focus on is HAZMAT