GM's new CEO doesn't like the idea of big cube, 530+hp performance cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300
the corvette is not a well refined car. its better than the average american car, but it pales in comparision to some of the top dog of other car companies.
Name the "top dog of other companies". Let's compare power, fuel economy, skid pad, 1/4 mile times, top speeds, consumer complaints, and price.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isn't the LS5, what they're kicking off the Gen V off with 5.5L? and it seems to have a fair amount of power too, plus direct injection.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

You guys are nuts. Did it, no I guess it didn't, ever occur to anyone that he was probably talking about the new Cadillac CTS-V Sportwagon? Think about it, does the average Caddy wagon shopper want a 550 HP engine and six speed manual? I think that would scare them off and so does the new CEO. Yeah it's cool, and if for some reason I was ever looking for a wagon it would be at the top of my list but people with my type of lists don't drive wagons. The Vette is safe, calm the heck down.

Certain people on this forum overestimate the importance of their opinion, which is basically that the rest of us are beneath them because they have more money or some other kind of car that is fast with a smaller engine, and will state it at any oportunity. Then they defend it with equally rediculous arguments. I swear these guys are worse than the ones they are trying to ridicule.

Vernon
Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
You guys are nuts. Did it, no I guess it didn't, ever occur to anyone that he was probably talking about the new Cadillac CTS-V Sportwagon? Think about it, does the average Caddy wagon shopper want a 550 HP engine and six speed manual? I think that would scare them off and so does the new CEO. Yeah it's cool, and if for some reason I was ever looking for a wagon it would be at the top of my list but people with my type of lists don't drive wagons. The Vette is safe, calm the heck down.

Vernon
Ummmm..... Thats why they make a CTS. The CTS-V is for the people that want the extra power.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:16 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Some of y'all are arguing about performance potential of the c7 with smaller motor. But the new CEO is only interested in making sells and making profits. If he has his way the c7 will be a 300hp v6 with cheap components.

The vette will sell and make profits and he will look like a hero... just like in the 80's.
In the long run when the vette loses its reputation and respect people will stop buying.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rabiddog
Ummmm..... Thats why they make a CTS. The CTS-V is for the people that want the extra power.
So every car sold should provide an option that allows 12 second time slips, no matter how rediculous it ends up?

Vernon
Old 06-09-2011, 09:18 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

So every car sold should provide an option that allows 12 second time slips, no matter how rediculous it ends up?

Vernon
If people are buying them then why not?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Vernon
No not every car but what is wrong with having a top end 4 door sedan. Its not like they are putting the motor in a cobalt. I was just stating that the CTS-V is a top end car and that you are right on the fact that most people dont need or want the power that it provides. That is why the CTS is the car most people buy.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing with the mustang. The v6 sky rocketed their sells... The cobra was a trophy. I would guess thy don't make anywhere near the profit on a cobra or even a gt that they do on a v6.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rabiddog
No not every car but what is wrong with having a top end 4 door sedan. Its not like they are putting the motor in a cobalt. I was just stating that the CTS-V is a top end car and that you are right on the fact that most people dont need or want the power that it provides. That is why the CTS is the car most people buy.
I agree with you on the sedan there is a large market for it and the engine is justifiable, but this is what I am talking about: http://youtu.be/i4kTNwbuB0A
, and I'm assuming the CEO was also rather than the Corvette. If I were him I would be worried that producing a wagon version of the car would cost more money than could be made from it and that it was way more engine than the wagon market wants. Another thing to consider is that by producing such an over the top wagon would give the greenies in congress more ammo or incentive to start regulating what we can and cannot build/buy. ie. the engine size tax that was previously mentioned. If American car companys just go ape and install the biggest engine in everything they can pretty soon we can't get it in anything or pay a lot more when we do because the government stepped in to stop it. I'm sure that would be another concern of a GM CEO.

Vernon
Old 06-09-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

To me the CTS-V wagon was a dumb Idea....people just buy SUV's now. There really isnt a wagon market in the US anyways, even Dodge ditched the Magnum. Only wagons I can think of are Subaru, Volvo, BMW, MB, and Audi and I rarely see any of those models in the DFW area.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

I agree with you on the sedan there is a large market for it and the engine is justifiable, but this is what I am talking about: http://youtu.be/i4kTNwbuB0A
, and I'm assuming the CEO was also rather than the Corvette. If I were him I would be worried that producing a wagon version of the car would cost more money than could be made from it and that it was way more engine than the wagon market wants. Another thing to consider is that by producing such an over the top wagon would give the greenies in congress more ammo or incentive to start regulating what we can and cannot build/buy. ie. the engine size tax that was previously mentioned. If American car companys just go ape and install the biggest engine in everything they can pretty soon we can't get it in anything or pay a lot more when we do because the government stepped in to stop it. I'm sure that would be another concern of a GM CEO.

Vernon
I didn't make it past 6 seconds in that video. That was the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I dont even think cadillac should be associated with a wagon. I mean didn't we learn something when Dodge stopped making the Magnum. Wagons in general are out of date and should all be "taken care of".