Friendly inspection in North Dallas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Friendly inspection in North Dallas?

Can pass safety but not sure on the sniffer without cats - anyone able to help orbpoint me in the right direction, please PM me.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
Can pass safety but not sure on the sniffer without cats - anyone able to help orbpoint me in the right direction, please PM me.
They don't do the sniffer test, just hook it up (ODBII) and if there are no codes then you are good. Unless they physically look under your car and see no cats then you should be ok.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Great news - not sure why I thought Collin county had a sniffer - thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it's too low for them to try and look underneath - haha
Old 07-02-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah only OBDI cars do sniffer dyno (1995 and older)

You should be fine, or just slip a $20 haha
Old 07-02-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

My mechanic is fairly lax & as long as you don't have any codes, you should be fine.

Last edited by LAYGO; 07-10-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Way to go, buddy. You just posted the business name and address of a shop willing to break the law... Im sure your friend will appreciate the fine and/or losing his license
Old 07-02-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW. lol
Old 07-03-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

My mechanic failed me because I had codes. You asked for friendly, I gave you friendly. Who said anything about breaking the law?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

You called his shop lax man. Delete you post. That's what pms are for.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

FYI, the laws are much stiffer since last year. If it is found out that an inspector knew about something that could fail a car and passed it anyways then it's no longer a fine, the inspector gets a minimum two year jail sentence. They are cracking down hardcore on some of the more "lax" shops, I know of two guys who are already in jail because of this.

LAYGO, delete your post man. Even if he is an honest person and it was just a simple misunderstanding, you can call unwanted attention to his shop. They will start combing his records and they will look for any inconsistency. I don't think he'd appreciate the matching bracelets that the officers will give him.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VinR1
Way to go, buddy. You just posted the business name and address of a shop willing to break the law... Im sure your friend will appreciate the fine and/or losing his license
THIS,

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
You called his shop lax man. Delete you post. That's what pms are for.
THIS and

Originally Posted by TechCam97
FYI, the laws are much stiffer since last year. If it is found out that an inspector knew about something that could fail a car and passed it anyways then it's no longer a fine, the inspector gets a minimum two year jail sentence. They are cracking down hardcore on some of the more "lax" shops, I know of two guys who are already in jail because of this.

LAYGO, delete your post man. Even if he is an honest person and it was just a simple misunderstanding, you can call unwanted attention to his shop. They will start combing his records and they will look for any inconsistency. I don't think he'd appreciate the matching bracelets that the officers will give him.
THIS.. Keep stuff like this to pms man.. Everyone will appreciate it and so would your friend..
Old 07-03-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

"FYI, the laws are much stiffer since last year. If it is found out that an inspector knew about something that could fail a car and passed it anyways then it's no longer a fine, the inspector gets a minimum two year jail sentence. They are cracking down hardcore on some of the more "lax" shops, I know of two guys who are already in jail because of this."

Wow I didn't know they were doing this now, is it throughtout the state or just in the dfw area
Old 07-03-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

"Yeah only OBDI cars do sniffer dyno(1995 and older)"

Last time I went to get my truck inspected the guy did everything on my truck, sniffer, scanner, tint, etc. I'm talking everything and mines an 04, guess he was just trying to be a dick. I don't know how long they let it run for the sniffer and scanner test, but for mine he let it run for at the bare minimum of like 15 minutes easy.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
Wow I didn't know they were doing this now, is it throughtout the state or just in the dfw area
Throughout the state. A friend of mine manages an oil change shop and was filling me in on the new laws. If an inspector willfully passes a failing car then it's 2+ years in jail. If they pass a car due to ignorance then it's like a $600 fine for the first offense and a suspense of the license. He had a guy who was working for him that was from another shop that the owner had in the next town. Just ONE guy was doing shady inspections and the whole shop was disbursed. They had the owner shift around the employees from his other shops so that the employees who had worked together with the convicted inspector would be put under different managers (who they assumed would watch them more closely). It was nuts.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

What about tint? That's my only hold up, will shops fail you for tint?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
"Yeah only OBDI cars do sniffer dyno(1995 and older)"

Last time I went to get my truck inspected the guy did everything on my truck, sniffer, scanner, tint, etc. I'm talking everything and mines an 04, guess he was just trying to be a dick. I don't know how long they let it run for the sniffer and scanner test, but for mine he let it run for at the bare minimum of like 15 minutes easy.
Man I'm like 90% sure OBDII cars don't ever get sniffer tested...

Especially being a truck, you can have dumped exhaust and everything lol.

Maybe he was just being a dick.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by happysem
Especially being a truck, you can have dumped exhaust and everything lol.
You can have dumped exhaust on any car. The problem with the 3rd and 4th gens is the rear hatch area is considered part of the passenger compartment. Trucks have a passenger compartment that doesn't extend back so far, so you can dump them right after the cab.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LAYGO
My mechanic failed me because I had codes. You asked for friendly, I gave you friendly. Who said anything about breaking the law?
Did you think he was looking for someone to give him a reach around? Someone that's all smiles and rainbows? You seem to not know what "friendly" implies in this situation... or you do and you're just trying to be sly about it now.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by texasglock23
What about tint? That's my only hold up, will shops fail you for tint?
The tint law was amended last year as well, it's now 25% instead of 20%. So yes, shops will fail you for darker than legal tint.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I recently got my 07 TBSS inspected and they did the sniffer. Had me in that place for over half an hour. All I have done is a mild sounding catback and air intake.

Quick Reply: Friendly inspection in North Dallas?