Might buy my first handgun, input anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _max_POWER
I like the way the m&p feels a little better but "glock reliability" is hard to argue with.
Many other pistols have great reliability also. They just don't have the large amount of vocal cheerleaders.
Glock makes a good pistol, but it isn't the best option for everyone. In spite of all the glock fanatics, you can find issues with them too. I have to laugh at people that think that glock is the only option because they're the same type of people that pooed on the idea of a polymer pistol back when the Glock was introduced. If everyone had the "this is the only option" attitude we would still be using clubs, but thankfully there has always been someone to seek something better...be it in function or form. There are a lot of Springfield, Sig, HK, CZ, Beretta, Ruger, Colt, Walther, S&W, etc owners that have never had an issue with their pistols. Choose which best fits your needs while offering good reliability.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Many other pistols have great reliability also. They just don't have the large amount of vocal cheerleaders.
Glock makes a good pistol, but it isn't the best option for everyone. In spite of all the glock fanatics, you can find issues with them too. I have to laugh at people that think that glock is the only option because they're the same type of people that pooed on the idea of a polymer pistol back when the Glock was introduced. If everyone had the "this is the only option" attitude we would still be using clubs, but thankfully there has always been someone to seek something better...be it in function or form. There are a lot of Springfield, Sig, HK, CZ, Beretta, Ruger, Colt, Walther, S&W, etc owners that have never had an issue with their pistols. Choose which best fits your needs while offering good reliability.
Very good advice!!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95batmobile
i have a xdm 40... shot a TON of handguns... only 40 i like better is a sig 40 (dont know what model- 226/229 either of those i think)

glocks are great guns for the price... but the look like your holding a black brick lol

me... i always wanted to conceal one of there and pull it out and get respect from some gangster somewhere
If your not going to spend the money for an HK, the Sig is the best bang for the buck pistol out there. I bought one over the HK because I liked the way it felt in my hand and they are almost the same for accuracy.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:00 AM
Staging Lane

I have a ruger sr9c and a kahr cm9. The kahr is a subcompact and the ruger is a compact. Love both guns. Both have very good recoil and ergonomics. They fit in my hand perfectly and are pretty slim where it needs to be and simple to break down. Got both for 420$ a piece. I like them way better over glocks(too bulky).
Old 03-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we bought a sig p250c, it came in a 40, with an interchangable 357 barrel. Great gun, real comfortable and has a real smooth trigger pull to it. I also bought the ruger lc9 and while its nice i dont like the feel of it. My wife carries it and it fits her hand fine but even with the clip extension it just feels small and after several rounds put through it the trigger is still just a little stiff for my liking...

We have a local gun and knife show here in Indy and i bought both guns for around 350-380 a piece.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

Xdm subcompact 40.... Picking mine up Monday the gun feels awesome with the extended clip
Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
Kimber 45. Ultra carry with crimson trace laser grip end thread.
my buddy has one of these, but in the super carry model.

one of my favorite pistols i have ever shot. i couldnt believe how little recoil it had for a .45 and a shorter barrel. i was pretty accurate with it as well, considering that i dont frequently shoot handguns, i was impressed by how well i could group shots with it. much more so than my pea shooter .22 i usually plink around with

shopping for one myself, but i dont thing i can swing a kimber right now.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy a glock or S&W M&P 9mm or .45 . The .40 cal is a worthless round
Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Baretta handguns blow. Ruger is ok, walther has its issues and is expensive, as is HK. Sig and CZ are good choices.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Had an XD40 Service model and then just upgraded to the XDM 3.8 45 Bi Tone and love it. both guns shoot amazingly and never have any problems.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xBROKEx
buy a glock or S&W M&P 9mm or .45 . The .40 cal is a worthless round

why do you say that?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not a fan of .40 either, but to say its worthless is pretty dumb.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Baretta handguns blow.
They must. I have never heard of them.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL@Ross!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Buying my m&p9c this saturday morning. Can't wait!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TermnEatr
Xdm subcompact 40.... Picking mine up Monday the gun feels awesome with the extended clip
The grip angle is nice on XD's but the high bore axis really kills the gun
Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
Im not a fan of .40 either, but to say its worthless is pretty dumb.
the ballistic difference between modern 9mm rounds and .40 is almost non existent. The round was created because the FBI wanted something more powerful at the time, and couldn't handle the 10mm round so SW necked it down to the .40. With +p and +P+ bonded core readily available now a days, you are literary throwing money away on ammo because misinformed people think that it has more "knockdown" power, knockdown power being a myth in and of itself perpetuated by people who have no working knowledge of anatomy or ballistics.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by _max_POWER
Buying my m&p9c this saturday morning. Can't wait!
solid choice, look at the DCAEK trigger kit, it will make a world of difference
Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

solid choice, look at the DCAEK trigger kit, it will make a world of difference
That and some night sights are first on the list when funds permit!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by No Hope
If your not going to spend the money for an HK, the Sig is the best bang for the buck pistol out there. I bought one over the HK because I liked the way it felt in my hand and they are almost the same for accuracy.
sigs are great guns, they may be alittle heavy for daily carry for some people

Quick Reply: Might buy my first handgun, input anyone?