9Ball, why no Autorama?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9Ball, why no Autorama?

Tony,

Out of curiosity, why don't you put any of your cars in with the extensive collection that you now have? I mean, you participate in every other event, so why not this one?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I've participated in that event 3 times. The last event was in '04 I believe. That was the event that I almost murdered some assclown teen that was sitting in my Camaro rowing the gears. Even with the barricades, people still lean on or touch the cars. Kids constantly drag their hands down the sides of the cars, and tug on those chain barricades, usually causing them to fall onto vehicles.

Why? The general lack of respect of the visitors for other people's property. I can't sit there all weekend and babysit my cars.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I That was the event that I almost murdered some assclown teen that was sitting in my Camaro rowing the gears.
That is MESSED UP! I hope you had his little punk *** thrown out by security, I would have....
Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
That is MESSED UP! I hope you had his little punk *** thrown out by security, I would have....
It was me. I made the cool engine sounds while doing it.

I noticed that most of the barricades have gotten slightly larger and leave more space from spectators.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also- it is a big commitment to put your car in if you are not trailering it. Detail it Tues, drive it downtown Wed, detail again, get ride home, go back Sat to see all of the other cars, get ride back sun evening to pick it up.

Still, good show. I had two in for a buddy showing off the work he did on them. They both got outstanding in class but I think there were nicer cars there.

I completely understand not wanting to leave your car unattended. I've only done the show twice and both times it was on agreement that there would be someone working the booth the entire show.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

That is what I'd recommend for anyone interested, enter your car with one of the various car clubs. Shoot for 4+ cars minimum, then have someone there at all times in shifts.

Honestly though, 1-day car shows are better to me, as a participant.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Autorama is a joke honestly. It was way better 15 years ago when a ticket was 3 bucks to get in and you couldnt walk the whole thing in a day.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Note to Autorama:

1/4 of your display area should not be reserved for junk Vato cars. I shouldn't have to worry about getting mugged once I am inside the George R. Brown Convention Center. One 1940's DeSoto with a sun screen is enough. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Agree- I prefer one day shows. Even at the national Pontiac events (that can be up to 4 days) I will only go for one and if I miss an ultra rare car or a race then so be it.

As far as the cars in the show that is up to us- a lot of clubs are focused on that show year round. It could have been all F bodies and vettes if we wanted. It just depends on who enters the show and is willing to do it.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
The Autorama is a joke honestly. It was way better 15 years ago when a ticket was 3 bucks to get in and you couldnt walk the whole thing in a day.
Exactly. I have been disappointed in what the show has become.

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Note to Autorama:

1/4 of your display area should not be reserved for junk Vato cars. I shouldn't have to worry about getting mugged once I am inside the George R. Brown Convention Center. One 1940's DeSoto with a sun screen is enough. Thanks.

This is so true. My FIL went with me 2 years ago and he was beside himself at what he saw there. I haven't been back since.

I completely understand what Tony is saying. A friend had his Corvette there 3 years ago. He was there the entire time and he was constantly having to police people. It was terrible. People have no respect.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Man I put my car in and had a great time! Good people and great cars. Took 2nd in class as well. Yes you have to protect your property and be there but it was nice to meet so many people and talk shop. Ran into Tony as well when he visited my car.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Which car was yours? I had the 69 trans am and 25th anniv trans am (both blue and white).

Your right- we are kind of giving it a bad rap- there were some very nice cats and a lot of cool people. And it was fun to get an award even though it was unexpected
Old 11-29-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing there was really outstanding and a lot of cars had 3ft paint jobs. I'd walk up to cars and be like what the **** is this. A lot of people couldn't detail their cars for **** either.

I loved that blue GTO when you first walked in though. e
Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1965GP
Which car was yours? I had the 69 trans am and 25th anniv trans am (both blue and white).

Your right- we are kind of giving it a bad rap- there were some very nice cats and a lot of cool people. And it was fun to get an award even though it was unexpected
Yes it was, it was my first show ever so it was overall good experience. I had the Pro-Touring all black 67 Camaro. I had a 02 camaro SS 35th back in the day and wanted to do the same thing with the First and Last camaro, but they came out with the new one before I finished the 67! I don't remember yours unfortantly, got any pics? bet it was a sight!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Nothing there was really outstanding and a lot of cars had 3ft paint jobs. I'd walk up to cars and be like what the **** is this. A lot of people couldn't detail their cars for **** either.

I loved that blue GTO when you first walked in though. e
Thats funny! thats the car i came 2nd to in the Mild Hardtop class. It was a nice car! it also was one of the magnificent seven last year.

Last edited by SSable; 11-29-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-29-2011, 08:57 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Good to see you again, the 67 looked great. You should post some photos of it!

Here is the '69 coupe I mentioned to you. Bought it a month ago, will be gutting it out to the shell and painting it black (or Cyber Gray). Then doing another pro-touring build with a pair of twins. We pulled the transmission out on Saturday.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

My dad's buddy had the orange '81 gmc truck that was next to a blue s-10 xtreme. Whoever prepped his truck did a terrible job but he still managed 2nd in his class.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

very nice Tony! looks like it's in great shape. Who dosn't love 69's? About to start on the 70 split bumper so the race is on! You wouldn't believe it but I only have a few pictures of autorama, my SD card in the camera went bad and lost majority of my pictures. All i have is Cell phone pics and few found online. Anyone managed to snap a couple of my car let me know!

The build is on pro-touring.com if you want more. Project Overclock
Old 11-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Launching!

The front of that 67 looks slick- wheels add a lot too. Great looking car

Quick Reply: 9Ball, why no Autorama?