Where to get forged wheels mounted-Plano

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Where to get forged wheels mounted-Plano

Have a set of 3 piece wheels forged aluminum wheels that I need to have the tires removed,mounted, balanced.
I'm in West Plano. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends. Discount will usually let you watch them do it and you can tell the guy you will tip him and to be extremely careful.

Otherwise Ruf Auto Center in addisson deals with a lot of 3 piece wheels on vettes ferraris and Porsches
Old 02-01-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Main thing is you want an experienced person that cares. You can go to Discount etc and ask them to be careful but if the person is a doofus they are still gonna screw something up. I have tried that before.

The reference to Ruf sounds like a better idea. I wish I still ran that shop that I used to run, I would help you out. I would come from behind the counter to keep my guys from touching expensive wheels and do them myself. I used to do 26's on a rug on the floor and not even use a machine unless I had to break down the beads. Then I would do the rest of the mounting by hand.

I know a guy that works at Wheel Technoligies and I had them polish and true my Fikse's. Might give them a shout and see if they will do just a mount and balance for you.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Appreciate the info and referrals. Is the guy at Wheel Technologies in Dallas? Name? I"m going to look up RUF too.

Yeah I know I would be next to the guy watching but these wheels aren't available that I know of so I don't want to take a chance.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS168Camaro
Appreciate the info and referrals. Is the guy at Wheel Technologies in Dallas? Name? I"m going to look up RUF too.

Yeah I know I would be next to the guy watching but these wheels aren't available that I know of so I don't want to take a chance.
Sorry dude I got the name wrong, Wheel Technologies is another place I had used before, he works at Wheel Repair Solutions in Carrolton. You might give them a call. His name is Ryan. I know it's a bit of a drive but it's worth it IMO

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 02-01-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Discount can get the job done. They have a soft touch machine for high dollar wheels. Usually when there are $2800 in wheels at stake, they won't cut corners.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Discount can get the job done. They have a soft touch machine for high dollar wheels. Usually when there are $2800 in wheels at stake, they won't cut corners.
I for the most part agree, if you tell the people upfront that the wheels are very high dollar they will usually put an experienced person on the job or turn it down.

But the down side is great tools are only as good as the user. So if they put a dumbass on the job they are going to use the machine wrong and hurt the wheels.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys. I agree with you but I don't want to take a chance. They are custom so its not something that can be replaced by something off the shelve.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS168Camaro
Thanks guys. I agree with you but I don't want to take a chance. They are custom so its not something that can be replaced by something off the shelve.
Well the place I referred you to, won't damage them, they are in the business of refurbishing and repairing wheels. They mount tires on wheels after they have been rebuilt and painted. So they specifically know about not damaging them. And hey, if by some crazy way they do damage them, they have every tool to fix them! The worst that will happen is a lip will get a nick in it, that can easily be fixed.

Also I was in your boat when I damaged a Fikse barrel. I was advised that almost all aftermarket 3 piece forged wheels use the same bolt pattern on the barrels and you can order one from any of the big name vendors. It's the centers that are the custom/one off part of the wheel.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I know a guy that works at Wheel Technoligies and I had them polish and true my Fikse's. Might give them a shout and see if they will do just a mount and balance for you.
Do you remember how much they charged you to polish the wheels? You can PM me if you want to keep it private. Thanks man!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
Do you remember how much they charged you to polish the wheels? You can PM me if you want to keep it private. Thanks man!
I believe the regular price is like $125. I got dealership pricing which was a little less.

That is per wheel. Wheel repair companies are pretty much all the same, if they do a tiny repair or a full rebuild and paint it's the same charge. They trued and polished my barrels. I instructed them to NOT touch my centers. I didn't want them to change the Fikse technipolish.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I believe the regular price is like $125. I got dealership pricing which was a little less.

That is per wheel. Wheel repair companies are pretty much all the same, if they do a tiny repair or a full rebuild and paint it's the same charge. They trued and polished my barrels. I instructed them to NOT touch my centers. I didn't want them to change the Fikse technipolish.
I was looking for the opposite. I can polish the barrels myself, I did one and it came out great. I really just need my centers to be polished, the technipolish is kinda stripped.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
I was looking for the opposite. I can polish the barrels myself, I did one and it came out great. I really just need my centers to be polished, the technipolish is kinda stripped.
Okay well then tell them to do the centers. Then they will automatically do the barrels too. Or you can tell them not to, however you want to do it.

Like I said, it's the same price whether they do a minor repair or full repair and paint (or clearcoat).

But part of the technipolish looking so good is that on that wheel Fikse leaves the little etchings from the CNC machine and it makes the wheel reflect light really well. If you have the centers polished, they will then be the same as the Fikse "Full polish". They can try to only strip the coating and re-coat them, but I have seen some clear coat cause a light cloudiness on polished metal...