looking at getting a 4l80e for my lsx mustang have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looking at getting a 4l80e for my lsx mustang have a few questions

Is there a certain year I need to look for? I know I need like a 2000 and up and it can't be a 4wd transmission. Is there certain year transmissions to stay away from? Or that just won't work? I have a 2002 fbody auto computer also. looking to use it with a ls1 changeing over from a 4l60e. This will be going into a mustang also not an fbody.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
Is there a certain year I need to look for? I know I need like a 2000 and up and it can't be a 4wd transmission. Is there certain year transmissions to stay away from? Or that just won't work? I have a 2002 fbody auto computer also. looking to use it with a ls1 changeing over from a 4l60e. This will be going into a mustang also not an fbody.
takes a lot of floor pan "modding" to get the 80 in a fox body. looking at ~3-3500 + converter (600-900) to get one that'll reliably hold your power level.

either the early or late model cores will work, late model being more ideal (and more expensive)

keep in mind this trans dry weighs ~60lbs more then a 3 speed (even more wet), and uses considerably more hp to drive it.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Banned

Yes this is true but it all depends on what you are trying to do with your vehicle. Thank You,
"Mad Dog" Lou

Mad Dog Transmissions
Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter: www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube: www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions icle.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Why do you think you need a 2000? It does not matter.

Originally Posted by dville_gt
takes a lot of floor pan "modding" to get the 80 in a fox body. looking at ~3-3500 + converter (600-900) to get one that'll reliably hold your power level.

either the early or late model cores will work, late model being more ideal (and more expensive)

keep in mind this trans dry weighs ~60lbs more then a 3 speed (even more wet), and uses considerably more hp to drive it.
No, the early model would be ideal. It is stronger, and much cheaper.

More like 35-40 pounds more than a 3 speed, and no, it does not use considerably more horsepower to drive it.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:23 AM
TECH Resident

I though 2000 was the first year of the 6.0 and 4l80 in the trucks?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

The year doesn't determine what the 4L80E will fit in, the output shaft does. 4wd 4L80Es have a noticeably shorter output shaft with a smooth end, no thread hole provision for a bolt on yoke.

You can use any year 80e, just make sure the output shaft is correct for your application.

Not to sound like a dick, honestly, but what does the 6.0 have to do with the 4L80E in a fox body swap? Is that the engine you're putting into it?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:44 AM
TECH Resident

No but all the 6.0 trucks came with the 4l80.
I also know some of the escalades came with the 6.0 and 4l80 but a lot of those were also all wheel drive so that trans wouldn't work for me either.
I also know there were some 4l80s in the earlier Chevy trucks but from what I understand they don't have the top bolt hole in the bell housing.
Now the reason I ask for a certain year is if I buy one from a junk yard that's out of town and I know a few different years that will work for sure and have the correct input shaft I can specifically ask for those years and don't have to look at the input shafts. The first thing a junk yard is going to ask you is what vehicle and what year your looking for a transmission for and I can't tell them a 1993 mustang coupe.

Last edited by bigfatls6; 05-05-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

The input shaft is the same on. Mine came from a a 95 g30 chevy van. It doesnt have the 12 o clock bolt hold, but neither did the th400 that was in the car. I know you are doing it in a mudstang, but check out my 4l80 thread, its in my sig, lots of good information.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Banned

I also know some of the escalades came with the 6.0 and 4l80 but a lot of those were also all wheel drive so that trans wouldn't work for me either.
I also know there were some 4l80s in the earlier Chevy trucks but from what I understand they don't have the top bolt hole in the bell housing.
Now the reason I ask for a certain year is if I buy one from a junk yard that's out of town and I know a few different years that will work for sure and have the correct input shaft I can specifically ask for those years and don't have to look at the input shafts. The first thing a junk yard is going to ask you is what vehicle and what year your looking for a transmission for and I can't tell them a 1993 mustang coupe.

97+ and up are the "good" cases as they have the better oiling. One way to identify is the oil fittings are separate and not close together.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

No they didn't, most, if not all LQ9 equipped vehicles came with a 4L65E.

The input shafts are all the same.

Originally Posted by 1990LSx
97+ and up are the "good" cases as they have the better oiling. One way to identify is the oil fittings are separate and not close together.
Can you please tell me why the 97+ have the better oiling system? Where I work, we prefer the earlier oiling system.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

I had a 99 2500 with a 6.0.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
No they didn't, most, if not all LQ9 equipped vehicles came with a 4L65E.

The input shafts are all the same.

Can you please tell me why the 97+ have the better oiling system? Where I work, we prefer the earlier oiling system.
Directly from PATC who sells the "Quadzilla" 4L80E

The baddest of the bad, this is a non-electronic 4L80E transmission. Some of the features are: Full manual shifts - the transmission will be in the gear you select and changes to any gear you choose when you move the selector, no computer or wiring needed, Red Eagle clutches, Carbon fiber band, RedEagle PowerPacks for the forward, intermediate and direct clutches, Kolene steels, Red Eagle clutches for the overdrive and overrun clutch sets. The 16 element intermediate sprag is replaced with a 34 element sprag, rated up to 1200 horse power depending on upgrades and has full throttle 3-4 up-shifts. It comes with a non-lock-up torque converter (#L80-NLU) and the core charge is included in the price. This is the transmission that off-roaders, big horse power streeters and racers have been waiting for. Something with an overdrive gear that you can beat the snot out of without giving it or you a runny nose. It just gets comfortable at 900 horse power. The shift kit alone costs us $250.00 and takes a full day to install. All of this can be yours for $3395.00. Every Quadzilla transmission is tested in our test truck. It doesn't get any better than this folks. If you have over 500 horse power you may want to consider this transmission. Add $150.00 for LS1 type bell housing bolt pattern (7 bolt). The late model type are built from 1997 to 2001 cores, known to be the best.

as for why...upgraded electronics and better oiling. Something about center lube and better oiling modifications vs older models.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1990LSx
Directly from PATC who sells the "Quadzilla" 4L80E

The baddest of the bad, this is a non-electronic 4L80E transmission. Some of the features are: Full manual shifts - the transmission will be in the gear you select and changes to any gear you choose when you move the selector, no computer or wiring needed, Red Eagle clutches, Carbon fiber band, RedEagle PowerPacks for the forward, intermediate and direct clutches, Kolene steels, Red Eagle clutches for the overdrive and overrun clutch sets. The 16 element intermediate sprag is replaced with a 34 element sprag, rated up to 1200 horse power depending on upgrades and has full throttle 3-4 up-shifts. It comes with a non-lock-up torque converter (#L80-NLU) and the core charge is included in the price. This is the transmission that off-roaders, big horse power streeters and racers have been waiting for. Something with an overdrive gear that you can beat the snot out of without giving it or you a runny nose. It just gets comfortable at 900 horse power. The shift kit alone costs us $250.00 and takes a full day to install. All of this can be yours for $3395.00. Every Quadzilla transmission is tested in our test truck. It doesn't get any better than this folks. If you have over 500 horse power you may want to consider this transmission. Add $150.00 for LS1 type bell housing bolt pattern (7 bolt). The late model type are built from 1997 to 2001 cores, known to be the best.

as for why...upgraded electronics and better oiling. Something about center lube and better oiling modifications vs older models.
Well, I'll take it a step further, I work for Jake's Performance, and I'm around 4L80Es pretty much every single day. I just built one from scratch today, full assembled, in the case and all, with out shift kit and transbrake, and it did not take me a full day. Honestly, that sounds like a marketing move there to make people think "Wow, this must be some advanced **** if it takes these guys a whole day to install a shift kit!"

I'm not going to diss on PATC, since that's bad business practice, but the Red Alto clutches, the Kolene steels, all of that is a serious waste of money. There have been so many transmissions on my table or the other builders's tables with burnt up Red Altos that simply came apart it's not even funny. The Kolene steels aren't bad per se, they're just absolutely completely unnecessary.

The Kolene steels are a heat treated nitrade steel, which isn't bad, it's just completely unnecessary in a 4L80E or any auto transmission for that matter.

34 element sprag is still being marketed as an upgrade? It would probably break a lot of people's hearts to find out that in many 4L80Es, the 34 element sprag already comes in the transmission from the factory.

I don't see any mention of any upgraded hard parts. At all. No billet input shaft, forward hub, main shaft, nothing. If you want nitrous, the input shaft and the forward hub are very necessary, they do NOT like nitrous and will break eventually, thus scattering metal throughout the transmission and constituting a rebuild.

You'll also notice the upcharge for the LS1 bell housing upgrade. Funny, because most of our customers run the early mode 4L80E and many of them are LSx based motors, and have no problems without the 12 o' clock bolt hole. More marketing.

I seem to have digressed into a stupid diatribe, I apologize for that.

Back on track: No. The revised oiling system is not necessarily better, nor are the electronics. I can get into more detail if you want, but I'm honestly not sure it would matter or if you'd know what I'm talking about, and I am not saying that to take a stab at your knowledge, but I wouldn't expect anyone to understand unless they have a fairly adept hold on 4L80E knowledge.

Take my word for this, go early model. It's much cheaper and marginally stronger, but strength is strength, and if you can get it for 1/3 the cost, I don't see why someone wouldn't go that route.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 PM
9 Second Club

my big quesion is will it physically fit in a fox?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Launching!

^ with some tunnel modification, yes. It WILL NOT fit a stock tunnel in a fox.

Quick Reply: looking at getting a 4l80e for my lsx mustang have a few questions