Dallas Emissions Test/inspection help- moving to texas

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dallas Emissions Test/inspection help- moving to texas

Looking at moving there this year if I get a job offer- and get away from the cali gov bs

Got two vehicles

99 jimmy with LS1 swap - cali legal, smogs as an 01 fbody based on
BAR bar code sticker under hood.
Not sure what vin is in the pcm, would it matter?

71 nova
Doing a 6.0 swap, It's exempt from testing regardless of motor. True?
When I get it inspected, will they look for emissions for a 1971 or a 2001?
A 6.0 never had a thermo air cleaner and there's no place to put it.
What about the exhaust manifolds? Headers? a turbo or two?
What about the charcoal canister? It's sort of in the way of the 4 link I plan on.
Looks like no turn downs either....

It's currently missing an engine. Can I get a one day permit to drive it to the inspection station or does it need to be towed.

Last edited by TurboS10; 07-09-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you live in an Emissions county (Dallas, Rockwall, Collin, Tarrant, Denton, and maybe one more) then they do the OBDII codes for emissions for 96+, and the sniff test for pre-OBDII. For vehicles made before 81 I believe, they omit emissions and do a safety only. If you're concerned about emissions and dont mind moving out a little bit, I'd move to Hunt, Kaufman, Grayson, Parker, or Johnson Counties, depending on where your new job is. I live in Rockwall County, and as long as its not throwing a SES code, I've never had a problem with someone visually checking for cats or anything. Also, be aware that TxDOT does set up sniffing stations on entrance ramps to the highways occasionally, so when you see a box van and some crap sitting on the side of an entrance ramp, kill the motor, push in the clutch, avoid the ramp, etc so they dont send you one of their stupid letters saying you're polluting. I live in Rockwall County, and I've only seen the sniffer truck out there maybe a dozen times in ten years. They primarily focus on Dallas, Tarrant, and Collin counties.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

25 years old is emissions exempt (rolling exemption). they are still *supposed* to do a visual inspection that you at least have a cat if you were originally equipped with one... doubt anyone would ever check.

1996+ is just the OBDII test. gotta have no SES lights, and all your 'readiness' flags set (i think you are allowed one 'not ready'). even if the PCM doesnt match the car, I doubt it's a problem, as that could occur even if you have your stock motor (like if your computer fried and you had to get a replacement).

I've lived in dallas area for 8 years. I've only seen one of these sniffer vans, and it was 7 years ago in fort worth. Also, I've only had one inspection place check for cats, and that was a chevy dealership.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

every time i go with a classic they just start drooling over it and dont even test anything out lol

but like said before, classic just gets a basic safety look over, non of that california bullshit where they are trying to suck every dollar out of you
Old 07-10-2013, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Not to piggy back, but does anyone have a SPECIFIC location in Denton or Collin County that I could get some help? You can PM me if you want. Car is good to go except Cats. No codes, tint Legal, tires good.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

good to know guys, thanks.
Hopefully they don't check VIN, It's still weird they don' catch V8 when it never came that way from factory.

So can I get a non operational type permit or do I have to pay the registration and still not get the tags for the Nova until it's running?
Cali does non op for $25ish one time charge until you want to get tags.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2002B4CCamaro
Not to piggy back, but does anyone have a SPECIFIC location in Denton or Collin County that I could get some help? You can PM me if you want. Car is good to go except Cats. No codes, tint Legal, tires good.

Thanks in advance!
I dont know a specific place in Denton or Collin Cos., but I would choose a place that has young kids working there. They generally tend to care the least. Maybe a Valvoline shop or something like that. Or even a place that runs a hundred inspections a day where they are trying to get them in and out quick.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurboS10
good to know guys, thanks.
Hopefully they don't check VIN, It's still weird they don' catch V8 when it never came that way from factory.

So can I get a non operational type permit or do I have to pay the registration and still not get the tags for the Nova until it's running?
Cali does non op for $25ish one time charge until you want to get tags.
It's because they go by weight not cubic inches. My buddy put an ls1 in by Hyundai genesis. The 4cyl turbo weighed more than the ls1 so he was ok.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got zapped one time by a mobile smog station on the side of an entry ramp to the service road. I got a letter in the mail saying that they were not going to let me re new my registration till I got it inspected again
They never followed through with it though no problems since
Old 07-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, luckily I never got caught. I always threw it in neutral and killed the motor. Waited til I was about 50' past it, fired it up and took off to highway speeds. Generally if I see one of those sniffers on an entrance ramp, I'll try to stay on the service road and hit the next entrance.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

I have a question on roadside sniffers. If you have emissions exempt car (> 25years) would they still send you a letter?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

I dont believe so. Its my understanding it only applies to cars required to pass for inspection.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:10 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So if I shelve my T/A till 2026 I should be good to drive around the metroplex again.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol dont think it works like that. the car was originally equipped with emission ****, there for it needs to stay with it for the life of the vehicle
Old 03-20-2014, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bringing this on up TTT... Does anyone know what the 24 years goes by? Is it model year or MFG year?

Reason I ask, is because my burb is a 91, making it 23 years old, but it was manufactured and bought over 24 years ago (just like there are 2015s out now). I'm pretty sure it'll pass, but if I need to smog it I'll just keep it registered at my FL address for another year to forego the testing bs.

Quick Reply: Dallas Emissions Test/inspection help- moving to texas