How do you feel about Ford exiting NHRA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 03:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you feel about Ford exiting NHRA?

I say smart move by Ford. NHRA has dug its own grave over the last decade or so for many reasons, mainly due to limiting innovation IMO. It's wise for Ford to focus on grassroots programs and the Coyote/Super Stock platform rather than pissing away money on FC and TF sponsorship. I bet Ford's ROI on sponsoring FC and TF, more specifically John Force Racing, is at the break even point at best.

Honestly, I have a gut feeling that Ford's exit is directly related to Courtney Force's ESPN magazine body issue. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. When Ford saw Courtney Force nearly full nude on the front page of a popular magazine, I bet Ford thought "so this is what NHRA has come to, selling sex instead of horsepower?" Drag racing isn't about selling your daughter's naked body for public awareness to maximize profit. Drag racing is about competition and horsepower.

Good for Ford. They don't need an above average, naked daughter of John Force to sell Ford cars and trucks.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics of said daughter?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's great. The closer we get to grassroots racing the better IMO.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

I had no idea. But, WTF is John Force going to drive now?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't blame Ford one bit!! Move forward!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

meh.
its not like john force actually used any ford made products in his vehicles. its a farce as far as im concerned. just used his name and status. i dont see how any thinking man would draw inspiration from nhra or john force to purchase a new ford vehicle. dont now or make sense to me. i stopped following along time ago. i would prolly watch an adventure time episode over an nhra event nowadays.
i also agree ford should take that amount and insert it into some kind of racing involving theyre new line of mod motors. 5.0,5.4,5.8. vehicles actually using ford parts on em.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd love to see them race in the ALMS (till it gets merged....at the end of this season )

i agree though with what was said above, not many people relate NHRA ford racing with their car sales...

while it does suck to see the long term relationship end, i'm sure there are alot of other companies looking to jump on the opportunity
Old 07-28-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by texas94z
Honestly, I have a gut feeling that Ford's exit is directly related to Courtney Force's ESPN magazine body issue. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. When Ford saw Courtney Force nearly full nude on the front page of a popular magazine, I bet Ford thought "so this is what NHRA has come to, selling sex instead of horsepower?" Drag racing isn't about selling your daughter's naked body for public awareness to maximize profit. Drag racing is about competition and horsepower.

Good for Ford. They don't need an above average, naked daughter of John Force to sell Ford cars and trucks.
Had less than nothing to do with that. The decision was made long before ESPN ever approached Courtney.

The ESPN body issue also has nothing to do with sex. John Force was in it a couple of years ago and Gary Player was in it this year.

Also pretty sure John Force doesn't need anyone to tell him what drag racing is about.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:04 AM
12 Second Club

So in your mind, the reason Dodge cut ties with NASCAR is because someones daughter got a almost nude photo in a magazine too? Is that what your saying? Your thought process is (cough, cough) amazing.

Of all of the car maunfactuers, who is the one you see most represented? In any car/truck racing series? Toyota.......... hands down. NHRA-NASCAR-Truck NASCAR-IRL-Off-Road Racing Series, etc.. Just about every sport is dominated by Toyota, the only one I can think of that isnt (yet) is Formula 1.

Dont be supprisd in JFR is driving Toyotas next year. Chevrolet wont sponsor them, they barely sponsor Pro-Stock and even that is in jeopardy.

Nobody sells cars from the racing that is done, NOBODY!! Race cars are just that, race cars. Nothing stock, all high performace aftermarket parts. Look at NASCAR and the Chevrolet they are using. Its an SS, an SS what? The Impala they were using was a two door, they dont make it in a two door or when Dodge was racing they used a two door charger, doesnt (didnt) exist.

Ford is leaving for financial reasons/motivation only. Money is tight and companies are struggling to justify spending tons of money on any race series. Except Toyota.

Getting back to grass roots racing? Didnt know it ever left. Top Fuel is the fastest cars and to get rid of it and only have GR races is like cancelling Pro Football and only watching Pee Wee football.

I mean seriously, who doesnt like to get a Nitro Methane bath watching someone set the brake on a 300+ MPH car!!! The gagging, chocking, teary eyes and burning throat? Priceless!!

Chad

Last edited by ss4chad; 07-29-2013 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-29-2013, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dirty 30
Pics of said daughter?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Mmmm, spicy!

Chad
Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Hope this trend follows to NASCAR. Watching tube frame chassis with motors not even remotely related to factory ones is boring.

Quick Reply: How do you feel about Ford exiting NHRA?