DFW salvage yard

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DFW salvage yard

Hey guys, I was wondering what sources are out there for obtaining LS motors and T56 from junk yards (or any where else). I did a search and found info on salvage yards in Houston and San Antonio but nothing for DFW. I am lining up my ducks for doing a LS1/T56 swap this upcoming spring and just trying to get pricing and sources.

I'm almost at the point of buying a running car as a donor- almost seems easier to find and potentially cheaper as I can take a lot of parts from it!
Old 12-12-2013, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Frawgdawg26
Hey guys, I was wondering what sources are out there for obtaining LS motors and T56 from junk yards (or any where else). I did a search and found info on salvage yards in Houston and San Antonio but nothing for DFW. I am lining up my ducks for doing a LS1/T56 swap this upcoming spring and just trying to get pricing and sources.

I'm almost at the point of buying a running car as a donor- almost seems easier to find and potentially cheaper as I can take a lot of parts from it!
theres a road of just straight up salvage yards south east side of ft worth. theres a pick and pull. and about 5 other salvage yards there. i couldnt really find any on searches but look up pick and pull and theres a few right by it on the same street. ive been looking for more because there was a mediocre selection there. but i didnt try any other yards because i found what i was looking for.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sick_tight
theres a road of just straight up salvage yards south east side of ft worth. theres a pick and pull. and about 5 other salvage yards there. i couldnt really find any on searches but look up pick and pull and theres a few right by it on the same street. ive been looking for more because there was a mediocre selection there. but i didnt try any other yards because i found what i was looking for.
You mean Elliot Reeder Rd?
Old 12-12-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slow67
You mean Elliot Reeder Rd?
Sounds familiar I'm new to the area and I just happened to find it a couple months ago.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck finding Ls stuff at those junkyards. The people at those junkyards are vultures and pick those cars clean. These junkyards are mostly good for replacement panels and lost bolts!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Im assuming we are talking about the same place. There is a road somewhere around here that I went to about three years ago that has 5-6 junk yards lined up next to each other. I went to each yard and couldnt find a single fbody. The last yard I went to at the end of the road had about ten of them lined up. I had a field day on interior panels and such. Good luck finding a eng / trans though. They pick them clean and ask a fortune for them. Honestly I think you would be much better off on craigslist or posting up here what you are looking for. Other option is call LKQ, they are reasonable on price and are gauranteed to have what you need.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

I've seen a few v6 fbodies there. You're definitely better off with craigslist/eBay/forums. (Not in that order)

Most of the time those yards put it directly to Craigslist. And if they're dumb they leave it and it gets picked apart during the "new inventory" section.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Slow- he was talking about the ones off Business 287 or "Old Mansfield Hwy"/ Kennedale Highway aka the road to the track. I know there are some off 121 as well.

I see that you can see pick and pulls inventory through a third party site and of course when I find a car with the proper vin it is picked through

Everything I have read on pro-touring's forum suggests they can easily obtain LSx motors pretty easily only T56's are a bit more hard to come by. This is really the reason I am just thinking of buying a donor 6spd car I was just making sure I am not missing a local source.

I may try LKQ, my old company does a lot of business for them [deliveries] and I know a couple of guys at the one in Hutchins.

What is the DFW market rate for an LS1 and or T56? any one know?

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know there is a Fbody Salvage yard in OKC http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/4173597807.html
Old 12-16-2013, 03:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New to forum, hope its OK to post here.

I'm in the DFW area and also looking for an F Body friendly salvage yard around DFW.

I need a set of LS-1 exhaust manifolds from a 1998-2002 f-body for a swap project, and would prefer to find something locally.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:03 AM
Teching In

I use http://www.car-part.com sometimes. May not the be the most accurate, but I call the yard for any other part if they have something close or the rest of the car I need parts from.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jefferson Rd. In Grand Prairie has a bunch of salvage yards. As a matter of fact, every major player in the salvage business is off Jefferson. From Pick n Pull, to Copart, to joe blow salvage. You'll find an LS or 10 there, you'll just have to look.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 427zm
You'll find an LS or 10 there, you'll just have to look.
Thats the pain in the ***. Most of them have no idea what they have. I would not have found they few that I did if I hadnt walked up and down every single isle at each yard I went to. Did see some interesting things though. Put some comfortable shoes on!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GarrettM
Thats the pain in the ***. Most of them have no idea what they have. I would not have found they few that I did if I hadnt walked up and down every single isle at each yard I went to. Did see some interesting things though. Put some comfortable shoes on!
Exploring in a salvage yard is half the fun! You never know what kind of stuff you'll uncover there!

Quick Reply: DFW salvage yard