Can this block be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can this block be fixed?

I posted this in the internal section, but also wanted to post it here, since I will be likely doing repairs locally.

I pulled the starter this weekend out of my 99 f-boat to put my flywheel holding tool on, as I was going to do arp bolts etc. Well low and behold there is a crack near the starter bridge that runs from the CPS to the back cover. I was wondering if a machine shop could tig it up/repair it, or if I should even try that? If it can be repaired, then I was also wondering about the possibility of this being repaired in car. I have a tubular k-member and with trans, clutch assembly out and I should even be able to pull the oil pan. There is plenty of space to work with. If not, then I'd pull it and take it to westside. Please give me your thoughts, thank you...

Old 08-07-2017, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Additionally; if anyone has a shortblock for sale, please post it up and or PM me. I am considering all options at this point.

Thank you,

David
Old 08-07-2017, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, it can be repaired. Is it worth it, not in my opinion. I paid $400 for the last LS1 shortblock I bought off here from a friend of Mavin's. I am beating the **** out of it w/o issue and it came with an MS4 cam shaft and an underdrive pulley. There are several on here overpriced but pay close attention and scoop up another. The motor will have to be removed to repair it correctly.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you for the reply codyvette and I agree with your thoughts on the matter.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:04 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

It's repairable, but that looks too far into the skirt of the block to mess with IMO. I would look for another block.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You said you're already running a starter bridge from a crack on the block?

I would recommend a new block. It's possible there was a flaw in the the casting causing the multiple cracks
Old 08-09-2017, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
You said you're already running a starter bridge from a crack on the block?

I would recommend a new block. It's possible there was a flaw in the the casting causing the multiple cracks
No, sorry for the confusion. I don't know the technical name for that part of the block, so I called it the starter bridge in my post. I am in the hunt for a shortblock right. A buddy's brother has 5.3 LH6 (aluminum) shortblock that is ready to go, but I am not really wanting to go smaller. I know I could use a different rotating assembly, but just trying to keep cost down.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would recommend finding a bare block if you can find someone willing to let you have it checked by a machine shop. Remove your engine and swap over your rotating assembly with new bolts, lifters, and gaskets. That **** will last a long while and you should be able to get it done for less than or right at $1K.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I agree with everyone else here. You can repair that block, but there is no reason to do so. I would just get a hold of another block and swap everything over. If it's in the budget you might as well make some upgrades while your at it.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I mean it's my opinion I would just run it till it blows and forces you to build it, in the mean time I would collect pieces to build it bigger than a 5.7 next time
Old 08-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a longblock lq4 years ago with the plans of building a 408. I didn't notice until after I got home that the starter tab was brazed back on. It went right through the dowell pin for the bellhousing. I originally assumed the truck was most likely wrecked and broke it off.

Has this been problem with several blocks ?

Quick Reply: Can this block be fixed?