What are your thoughts on Bowflex?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are your thoughts on Bowflex?

I am looking into home gyms...

B
Old 03-07-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard good and bad things about Bowflex. But I think the bad things came from people that wanted results 1 week later. But I think they are pretty good, I used a friends for a while.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a freind with one, I dont like it, better to just get a weight bench with all the differnt things to work different muscles. Its not a good work out, well elast to me. I cant really explain it, but its like a progressive resistance. If you have it set up for 200 punds of resistance, your only gona get around half of that resistance for the first couple of inches of the range of movement for the exercize. Get a weight bench is my 2 cents
Old 03-07-2005, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hagarr
I am looking into home gyms...

B

I have one. It's a great solution for a home gym.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

I don't have a problem being tone...I want muscle. I had some back in the day and would like it back...about 15 lbs of it. I am not a big guy nor do I want to be. My wife will also be using it and I think it would serve her well for trimming off the pregnant weight.

B
Old 03-07-2005, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

I got a great pump from the bow-flex.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stang killer
I have a freind with one, I dont like it, better to just get a weight bench with all the differnt things to work different muscles. Its not a good work out, well elast to me. I cant really explain it, but its like a progressive resistance. If you have it set up for 200 punds of resistance, your only gona get around half of that resistance for the first couple of inches of the range of movement for the exercize. Get a weight bench is my 2 cents

I have used one for just a few minutes. I thought it was more challenging than free weights because it makes you use every muscle to stabilize the weight.

Nice sig by the way.

Bri
Old 03-07-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

I pulled/tore a chest muscle on mine-after it happend and had all these tests done and crap bowflex sent a postcard to the house saying they were recalling that model due to muscle strains/pulls/tears etc. It sucked really bad something to do with one of the rod mechanisms breaking and poping i also think i had way to much weight on there as well. I had almost all the rods on and im not a bug guy either-trying to be superman i guess LOL not fun to deal with-other than that its great.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hagarr
I have used one for just a few minutes. I thought it was more challenging than free weights because it makes you use every muscle to stabilize the weight.

Nice sig by the way.

Bri
I have a Bow Flex, I used to lift free weights, free weights add more mass in my opinion but if your already a good sized person then the BowFlex is a very good peice of equipment. Now if I could lay off the I would look better
Old 03-07-2005, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

All i have to say BANG BANG BANG to the 50 yr old grandma in the comercial.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GT Griller
Old 03-07-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GT Griller
No doubt...she is hot...well her body at least

B

Last edited by Hagarr; 03-07-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:58 PM
10-Second Club

I want to say I saw a bunch of nice weight stuff for sale in one of the forums here.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Launching!

well from a bodybuilding standpoint i say free weights. Maybe get a machine that has a bench and squat rack with a preacher curl and leg extensions. Go pick up a curling bar. Get some dumbells that you can make your own weights with and maybe something to do pull ups and chin ups on. i worked out with a home gym until i joined a gym. My buddy bought a bowflex and it didnt do much for him for the month he worked out. I tried it one time and i didnt even feel fatigued from it. I also dont like the variable resistance it's only difficult at the top of the movement and not at the bottom. Also the weights are off. I can bench 365 and i could use the 410 on that machine pretty easily. Also for the stabilizing thing if you use dumbells over barbells you have to use the muscles to stabilize. On bench you can also take your feet off the ground and you have to stabilize more. For the wife it may work though. I think my buddy payed like 1800 big rip off in my opinion i think he cut his losses and sold it for 1300 on ebay. And you know that hot chick on the bowflex commercial had plastic surgery. Just another gimmick like the slp flowpack. For that much money you could have a nice home gym especially if you searched classifieds. Someone on here was selling some sort of a freeweight home gym setup.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

I bought a Crossbow from Sears and I've been happy with it. It has plenty of resistance for me. I use a Gym at work during lunch and really only use it as a little extra workout every now and then. It gives me as good of a pump as the free weights in the gym though. No changing rods or anything, just dial in the weight you want with a button and go. Plus it was less than half the cost of a bowflex. My wife likes it too and uses it more than me.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

I was also looking at the Crossbow but I don't like all the space the bench takes up. Is it foldable?

Thanks for all the comments gents.

B
Old 03-08-2005, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Yep, bench folds straight up. Takes up maybe 4 sq. ft. when folded.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

I don't like it. It just didn't feel right to me. Especially with alot of 'weight' on it. But I'm weak, so that may explain it..
Old 03-08-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

a new bowflex is more than 2 years(or more) of a gym membership. Id go that route instead. Plus you have more distractions/excuses to stop working out if your at home. JMO
Old 03-08-2005, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

The results that they promise are supposed to be on a person that has not previously weight trained. Any program will give you results in the beginning. My opinion on the bowflex= for your wife its ok, other than that, get a gym membership.