Road Race Track in Ft. Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 05:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Race Track in Ft. Worth?

Does any one know of a road race track in or near Ft. Worth that won't cost me a yearly fee, and monthly dues, and an entree fee to run on? I'd like to get out a day out of the weekend go to a track and just take a spirited cruise around it. Everything I've found you have to buy stock in the track or join some exotic car club, I'd just like to go with my brother and father in law and hit the track. Any help as always is appreciated, thanks!
Old 04-13-2005, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Motorsports Ranch?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I looked at the motorsports ranch web page and thats the one im refering to about the yearly, monthly, AND entree fees. If i read the site correctly they are very very proud of their track.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

yes but it is a very nice track, and they keep it nice all the time and will or years
Old 04-13-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

MSR ROCKS!!!!! And you need to do the weekend trackday/schools various clubs offer every other weekend or so. Thats the way to save $$$.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was looing at the one time starting fee of 2400$?!?!? No thank you. The monthly I can handle, and the entree, but 2400$??? Geez, I can get heads and cam for that. Does anyone know how this weekend trackday/ school thing works? Is it like what I have described above, just pay and play?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Ginger Hater

Originally Posted by Deamon2002
I was looing at the one time starting fee of 2400$?!?!? No thank you. The monthly I can handle, and the entree, but 2400$??? Geez, I can get heads and cam for that. Does anyone know how this weekend trackday/ school thing works? Is it like what I have described above, just pay and play?
yea its pretty much like that, they do have special events that you can go to as well.

Another track is Texas Motor Speedway, sometimes with the SCCA or with another organization they open it up for hot laps. Probably gonna be about 300 a visit. but its a little nicer of a track.

And if you want to travel the distance you can come to Texas World Speedway here in College Station.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks I'm reading Motorsport ranches web site and it seems like its a members only kind of thing, and i dont think i have the bank account to be a member. College station would be nice, I sometimes go see fmily in the Conroe/ Montgomery area north of the Woodlands.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where can I find information about hot lap days at Texas Motor Speedway?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

The way this is looking I may end up sticking to the back road twisties with the radar detector on. This is prime example of why everyone drag races, you have to be in a club or be loaded in order to try your hand at road racing. And even if you are in a club, the club only races at a track in my area like twice. At the strip you can go every weekend except for sundays and pay like 20$ and run all night long. Maybe I wasn't meant to road race, I shall sacrifice a goat now and read the chicken bones....
Old 04-13-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

www.frrax.com
You can find a lot of information there, and find groups to run with that wont cost you an arm and a leg.
www.nasatx.com
Thats a race organization that does driving schools and whatnot, and would help you get a lot of on track time.
http://www.houstonperformancedriving...ead.php?t=2174
theres a link to an event thats gona take place in may, you can get in on that one and race in college station.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Deamon2002
The way this is looking I may end up sticking to the back road twisties with the radar detector on. This is prime example of why everyone drag races, you have to be in a club or be loaded in order to try your hand at road racing. And even if you are in a club, the club only races at a track in my area like twice. At the strip you can go every weekend except for sundays and pay like 20$ and run all night long. Maybe I wasn't meant to road race, I shall sacrifice a goat now and read the chicken bones....
An MSR membership is for older very well-to-do men. Maybe one day ill be one but not anytime soon. You need to focus on D.E.'s (Drivers Education events). These are schools where you will have a trained driver(usually someone that roadraces themselves) to teach you what your car will and wont do and give you guidance on proper technique and the right "line". They range from $175-$250 per weekend and you have Sat and Sun usually 4 20-25 min sessions. This is a non timed competetive event. So it is not racing but let me tell you its pretty damn close. And for a fraction of the cost, its a great value.

NASA, TDE(The Drivers Edge), BMW CCA(has one in a week or 2), PCA, Nissan, ect, if you keep your eyes open you will see they have events like this very frequently. Then as you start to attend more and more youll be "in the know" a lot better.

I highly recommend these event its will make you a 100% better, safer, more competent driver on the street as well.

Damn all this talking about it makes me wanna get out there in my new Formula.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

also, many people have told me to go to MSR for my first time on a road course because TWS is a lil more advanced and has a lot of blind turns. If I can find the thread ill show you.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stang killer
also, many people have told me to go to MSR for my first time on a road course because TWS is a lil more advanced and has a lot of blind turns. If I can find the thread ill show you.
For the most part ill agree with that. TWS is actually more fun in my book but how close MSR is makes it hard to beat. Ive never driven TMS infield course but it looks lame and ive been told the same by those who have driven it. Just FYI.

Having said that i wouldnt turn down a TWS event just because its your first event you will still learn plenty.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stang killer
Maybe it is different in a car but I've been roadracing bikes since the 1990s and MSR has more blind and off-camber turns than TWS. TWS is also a much faster track (top speed wise). The turns at TWS are also more spaced out so I'm also wondering how it could be more technical than MSR.

I also help teach a voluntary school at track days for bikes on occassion with Lone Star Track Days (www.lonestartrackdays.com)
Old 04-13-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks a bunch, if anyone has done this before and plans to go to the track in mid June I'll be home on R&R then and would love to come! Thanks again for all the information!