Worried about inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005 | 04:17 PM
11Second Club

Default Worried about inspection

I got my daily and my wife's daily inspected today and I started doing some recon just to make sure I knew I was going to pass with my T/A's new exhaust (see sig). I asked the guy if I would pass as long as I wasn't throwing codes (I made sure to mention that I do have cats). He asked me if I had rear O2 sensors. I explained that my new exhaust didn't have bungs for the rear sensors, but he misunderstood me and thought I meant that the car didn't originally have rear O2s. He said it was a good thing I didn't because he had a customer with a Lingenfelter 'vette who had the rear O2's removed in his computer and the state failed him. I asked why and he said that when they "sent it to the state" the state knew the car was supposed to have rear O2s and recognized that they were absent and failed him.

I am currently running no rear O2s and no sims. I had planned on removing the rear O2s in the computer so that I wouldn't throw codes. I suppose, in light of this new information, that I could buy some sims, but what if they notice that the rears aren't plugged in, yet they are reporting that all is well? Wouldn't they realize at that point that I had sims and then fail me? Also, I have no connections for the AIR pump. I'd planned on removing it and deleting it from the computer (along with the rear O2s). Now I'm considering maybe just removing the hoses, leaving the pump, and putting the fuse for it back in during inspection.

Any thoughts on all this, guys?
Old 04-30-2005 | 04:49 PM
Launching!

I wouldn't really worry about the O2 sims, or about them not being plugged in. Most guys don't really check that close, as long as it isn't throwing codes. Not sure about the AIR pump, they may notice that something is up with that. Hope all works out.

Brian
Old 04-30-2005 | 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

screw inspection.
Old 05-01-2005 | 12:18 AM
11Second Club

What is this about sending the results to the state? Anyone have any more info about that?
Old 05-01-2005 | 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

This is the 1st time I've heard of anything like this. If you have Sims or have the O2s deleted then I don't see how they can tell anything unless they get up under the car and really look. As for the AIR I'm sure they can see it but unless they know what they are looking for will they notice its not there?

I haven't gotten my LTs in yet but I'm praying that I don't have any problems. We shall see soon enough though.
Old 05-01-2005 | 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Got my car inspected friday... It is mostly stock. But for the first time they opened the hood and looked at every thing. I was surprised... But they didn't look under the car.
Old 05-01-2005 | 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

I had no rear O2s and no simms and passed inspection, you can delete that stuff out of the program with LS1 edit and they won't even know it. As far as sending something to the state that sounds like BS to me, inspection requirements vary from county to county, so why would the state care?
Old 05-01-2005 | 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He meant sending it to the state to compare what emissions are on the car from the factory. And also, pass or fail, the state knows that too and keeps a record. Remember those emissions monitors on the road? If you pass inspection, then go by one of those polluting a ton. They sometimes do an investigation to find out how you 'passed'.

Been on the news a few times.
Old 05-01-2005 | 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok so how many have problems passing having all the emissions removed?
Old 05-01-2005 | 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

delete and dont worry about it
Old 05-01-2005 | 07:53 PM
12 Second Club

I have removed the EGR pump, and deleted the rear O2's on my 01 Truck.
I am also running the TR 224 cam on a 112LSA, and just had my truck inspected Friday..
Passed everything they looked for..
They where really looking it over, especially since it was loping pretty good in their inspection bay..
this was also a shop that all they do is inspect vehicles...
I got to talking to one of the techs, and he said they where really surprised that it passed the computer, He was sure they where gonna find codes in there that had been deleted..
..I just smiled, got my tag and waved as I drove off.
Old 05-01-2005 | 11:16 PM
11Second Club

How would they find deleted codes? That's why they're deleted.

Also, if your O2s and EGR were deleted, then how did they not find that (if they're able to find deleted codes, that is)?
Old 05-01-2005 | 11:50 PM
That's what she said...

i think they would really have to be an ls1 guy to notice no EGR and no AIR, hell the 01-02's diddnt even have it. keep that in mind

as for no cats (and them chekcing), you're pretty screwed. every station WANTS to pass you for inspection, otherwise they dont make any money (at least around here, no pass, no pay is in effect). if you get your 16 year old nephew to drive yer car down there, they will probably pass him easy, cause he's not likley to be an inspector

there seems to be a million stations you can go to, so if you fail one, can't you just go somewhere else?
Old 05-02-2005 | 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

If you fail and go somewhere else once they enter your car's information it'll say exactly why you failed the first time. Which probably sucks because they'll look that part over harder.

As for the computer knowing about your O2 sensors, the ONLY think I can think of that might have to do with that is the readiness test screen. Its basically a screen that gives a list of like 15 possible systems on a car, it will read complete, incomplete, or NA. So if you don't have a system even reading where they're expecting then you might run into problems. Not totally sure but thats my guess.
Old 05-02-2005 | 01:49 AM
That's what she said...

it seems like the redneck gas stations around here only look it over a few times, then either give you a sticker or not give you a sticker, i diddnt even know there was a computer at some of these places lol
Old 05-02-2005 | 11:11 PM
12 Second Club

from what they told me, they can read as to what code has been deleted, and how many miles it has been since you deleted it..
something about it has to be 500miles since the last thrown code, or no pass.
just repeated what the tech told me..
Old 05-03-2005 | 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they can only tell if you delete the codes wrong. If you dont do it right, it shows up as "not ready" and they'll tell you to drive at least 100 miles.
Old 05-03-2005 | 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they can only tell if you delete the codes wrong. If you dont do it right, it shows up as "not ready" and they'll tell you to drive at least 100 miles.
Old 05-04-2005 | 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

No they can't tell which codes have been deleted. Once you disconnect the battery or reset the codes all the vehicle systems turn to "not ready". Then they have to go through a series of tests to ready themselves, the purpose being that the car will recognize if there is still a problem by the time the systems are ready again.

You can get the systems ready really quickly usually by getting on the highway and going a STEADY 55-60 mph for several minutes, a couple times. Then get in some stop and go traffic. Then roll out to 50 mph @ 1/2 and 3/4 throttle.
Old 05-05-2005 | 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Will Clark
No they can't tell which codes have been deleted. Once you disconnect the battery or reset the codes all the vehicle systems turn to "not ready". Then they have to go through a series of tests to ready themselves, the purpose being that the car will recognize if there is still a problem by the time the systems are ready again.

You can get the systems ready really quickly usually by getting on the highway and going a STEADY 55-60 mph for several minutes, a couple times. Then get in some stop and go traffic. Then roll out to 50 mph @ 1/2 and 3/4 throttle.
the inspection place I went to last year reset my computer and had me drive it around because it takes some time before the computer shows that all systems are ready. Failed anyway because I had a bad o2. But man I had to drive that car forever till all the systems were ready. I swear I went through half a tank just waiting for all the systems to ready up. I should have done what you said about running it 3/4 or full throttle. Last week I took it to my dad's friend. All he asked me was if it would pass. I didn't even tell him about the ory pipe. He hooked it up and I got my sticker. JUst take your car to a hole in a wall place. Most of those places don't do a visual. Never take it to a Texaco or a very popular mechanic place. They're bound to inspect your car like a ******* state trooper