U of Houston peeps need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U of Houston peeps need help!!!

I am moving to Houston in August for school purposes. I was loooking at the autotheft statistics at and around UH campus and was kinda worried about bringin my car to Houston. Do any of yall go to UH? do u bring ur car or drive around in beater? I will be living in a gated community and parking very close to my apartment. My major concern was the possibility that my car might get stolen from the University Campus. Any students that can offer any insights please join in. I am so worried that i am think of buyin a beater honda to avoid gettin my car stolen. Am i being paranoid? any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-25-2005, 09:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Theres a lot of nice stuff in the parking lot, I wouldnt worry about it. U of H is a commuter school so every one drives. Far as cars getting stolen, wont really happen unless your dumb about it, I even lived on campus for two years and had no problems. If your commuting during the day I wouldnt worry about it, the safest lot is the business school lot because it is on the oposite end of campus from third ward. Even the stadium isnt bad during the day. Night time, you have to be smart about it, I see a ton of Fobodies, new BMWs, Escalades, Lexus' and all sorts of nice stuff on a daily basis.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:34 PM
FormerVendor

Im goin there too and living at cullen oaks. I will probably buy a beater considerin i dont want my car in the sun all year. Ive heard crime isn't that bad on campus anyway. Only theft they told me aobut was labtops.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:02 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

There are some badass cars in the parking lot at UH, always have been. Your car should be fine as long as you don't leave anything to steal in plain view. CD's, change, radar detector, etc...

But, do NOT live around that area, it sucks ***.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackEcho
Am i being paranoid?

YES
Old 05-26-2005, 12:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GAME OVER
Im goin there too and living at cullen oaks. I will probably buy a beater considerin i dont want my car in the sun all year. Ive heard crime isn't that bad on campus anyway. Only theft they told me aobut was labtops.

I lived there my sophmore year, a lot better than Cambride Oaks where I lived my freshman year. Only problem is, its noisy and kinda ghetto. Other wise its a real ncie complex and the managment is bad ***, leaps and bounds better than Cambridge Oaks. Theres some nice stuff there too, U of H has a lot of nice cars. All the areas surounding the actual campus are terrible, they are what you hear about in rap songs.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

The only thing you need to worry about at UH, is finding a parking space.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

its not bad there but my grill got stolden there and one of my buddys ta got his t-tops jacked. the reason i think i got my gril jacked was i was running late that day and i parked somewere were i dont usallay park, like almost by the street.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

i am there all the time in my SS and i havent had a problem...i guess my car sucks compared to all the other bad *** ones up there. if you can or happen to have a class near the Cameron building i would suggest parking there. its usually pretty open and you can park really close to a building where people are always going in a and out of.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Formerly MagRedC5

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
There are some badass cars in the parking lot at UH, always have been. Your car should be fine as long as you don't leave anything to steal in plain view. CD's, change, radar detector, etc...

But, do NOT live around that area, it sucks ***.
My son, Matt, is a U of H Army ROTC Cadet. Do not, and I repeat do not leave any loose items of value in view inside your vehicle. My son, his girlfriend, and her friend all had there cars broken into. In all three cases seems like the culprits were after backpacks. Best practice is to put the loose items in the trunk while parked for long periods of time, IMHO.

BTW, U of H seems like a fine school. What is your major?
Old 05-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Formerly MagRedC5

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
YES
My son has not mentioned any vehicle thefts since he has been attending U of H. However, related to my previous post... I'd definitely be a little paranoid about leaving loose items in plain view inside a parked car.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

As long as you don't live your car parked in an open lot past 9-10PM or have stuff out in the open you'll be fine. It's really not as bad as this thread might make it sound.

If you're living at Cullen Oaks your car will be parked inside their gated lot and you'll walk to class all the time probably. Most of the cars that are broken into are in the commuter lots after hours.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:26 PM
PiP
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bizzzatch350
All the areas surounding the actual campus are terrible, they are what you hear about in rap songs.
Scarface says "[t]o my block, from Holloway, Belfort, to Scott
from Reed road, to flocks we load the spots
Sold weed and rocks, drink all the blue dots."

Old 05-27-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys, I will be takin my car to Houston after all. Just was gettin worried. Damn now i gotta get my turbo in b4 i come down there. :-)
Old 05-27-2005, 04:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by PiP
Scarface says "[t]o my block, from Holloway, Belfort, to Scott
from Reed road, to flocks we load the spots
Sold weed and rocks, drink all the blue dots."

I think i might just hide in my apartment all day and never come out in that case
Old 05-28-2005, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

I go there too. Its not bad at all. I'm more worried about some dumb bitch hitting my car in the parking lot.