Does "piston slap" decrease compression in an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 05:05 PM
it is on low boost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does "piston slap" decrease compression in an engine?

I am thinking of getting my engine compression tested after hearing excessive "piston slap" in the engine bay area.

Does anyone know what the going rate for a test like this would cost me? Has anyone had this problem before? What causes it?

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nick K
I am thinking of getting my engine compression tested after hearing excessive "piston slap" in the engine bay area.

Does anyone know what the going rate for a test like this would cost me? Has anyone had this problem before? What causes it?

Any info would be appreciated.
DAMN LT1's
Old 11-30-2005, 07:30 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Piston slap won't hurt your compression itself. The piston slap can be caused by a number of things. One being a long stroke witch moves the pin up farther in the piston and caused more sideload on the skirts of the piston causing them to wear excessivly or the bore to wear excessively or a combination of both etc... Forged pistons also exagerate this cause they expand more than a cast piston and so on a cold start up they are louder. Once they reach operating temp it gets quieter or goes away totaly depending on what it is caused from and how bad the clearances are or how mcuh they are worn (Pistons and Bore.). As far as the test it shouldn't cost to much at all you can rent a compression tester and do it yourself if you can. A leak down test can tell a lot also. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:32 PM
it is on low boost

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Piston slap won't hurt your compression itself. The piston slap can be caused by a number of things. One being a long stroke witch moves the pin up farther in the piston and caused more sideload on the skirts of the piston causing them to wear excessivly or the bore to wear excessively or a combination of both etc... Forged pistons also exagerate this cause they expand more than a cast piston and so on a cold start up they are louder. Once they reach operating temp it gets quieter or goes away totaly depending on what it is caused from and how bad the clearances are or how mcuh they are worn (Pistons and Bore.). As far as the test it shouldn't cost to much at all you can rent a compression tester and do it yourself if you can. A leak down test can tell a lot also. Good luck!
Thanks for the information Inspector. I have noticed that whenever the engine heats up to operating temp., it doesn't seem as loud as it gets when its cold. I guess I have clearance issues. I need to check the compression anyway though just so I can sleep better at night...the problem is, I have no time to do it myself and I was wondering if any of you guys would know who could do this at a reasonable price.
Thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:55 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Nick why don't you give Chris Eurlic a call I think you know him right. He work over at MTI and maybe able to help you out on that. Other than that any one of out local shops can do this for you just give them a call and see what they charge for it and make your decision.
Jeff
Old 11-30-2005, 08:58 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I can do it, but you metioned a reasonable price LOL! If you can't find anyone to help you give me a call.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:07 PM
it is on low boost

Does he work on LT1's? I was sort of hoping to get some price feedback from the sponsors to the right but if I can't, I just might have to give you or Chris a call. PM me some contact info and pricing.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:30 PM

It's called nitrous slap!!!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:52 PM
it is on low boost

Originally Posted by BADZ
It's called nitrous slap!!!!!
I think it's called "Slap-a-hoe"....Jeff, I am trying to get some feedback from some of the sponsors. I would rather you post the smart remarks under your other alias name, Charles@HEB..LOL!......... OK, back to business.... none of the sponsors have contacted me still.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

jeff is a good dude, he'll come thru for ya... i know how it feels man, i fucked my car up last night... jeff is supposed to call me today and ill tell him to get ahold of you
Old 12-01-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

check out: pistonslap.com
Old 12-01-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

hey Nick. if you need any lt1 work done give me a shout.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

I also have piston slap on my LS1 is there anything bad about it?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bad Black SS
I also have piston slap on my LS1 is there anything bad about it?
thats the usual ls1 thing.

Quick Reply: Does "piston slap" decrease compression in an engine?