Thinking of moving to Texas...anyone have some info?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of moving to Texas...anyone have some info?

Hey guys/ladies...The woman and I are thinking about moving to the Mckinney/Plano area. It is possible that I can transfer out of here within the next year or so. Currently we live in Torrance CA (its 7 or so miles southwest of LA) and don't like it entirely too much. I have a lot of questions about that area and if anyone has any free time and can tell me a bit about that area, that would be really helpful.

How is the Mckinney/Allen/Plano area?
Is there a lot to do, what is there to do?
Are the people nice?
Hows the weather usually?
How bad are property taxes?
How much is the housing market increasing in that area?
Whats the weather like throughout the year?
Is it affordable to own a horse and board it around that area?
Are you able to take boats/waverunner on Lavon Lake and if so, is it a good place to take them?

Any other info would be cool to. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

The McKinney/Allen/Frisco area is probably the fastest growing area in the Metro Plex. Yes there is alot to do here but probably not as much as in LA. Hell yeah we're nice, just don't get in our way, lol. Weather? It's Texas, it's hot. Property taxes are second only to California. Weather again? Did I mention it's hot? Oh, and it's dry here too. Don't know about horses or lakes.

Originally Posted by jcgardnr
Hey guys/ladies...The woman and I are thinking about moving to the Mckinney/Plano area. It is possible that I can transfer out of here within the next year or so. Currently we live in Torrance CA (its 7 or so miles southwest of LA) and don't like it entirely too much. I have a lot of questions about that area and if anyone has any free time and can tell me a bit about that area, that would be really helpful.

How is the Mckinney/Allen/Plano area?
Is there a lot to do, what is there to do?
Are the people nice?
Hows the weather usually?
How bad are property taxes?
How much is the housing market increasing in that area?
Whats the weather like throughout the year?
Is it affordable to own a horse and board it around that area?
Are you able to take boats/waverunner on Lavon Lake and if so, is it a good place to take them?

Any other info would be cool to. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

The McKinney/Plano/Allen area is one of the better places to be in the DFW area. There is plenty to do around here. You'll be quite close to one of the best shopping areas around here IMO.....Stonebriar Mall area. Not only is it a very nice mall but there is plenty of shopping and restaurant choices right around that area. There is also a very nice stadium right by the mall where they play professional soccer and amateur baseball. I don't give two ***** abotu either sport but if you do, then you're good to go. Lake Lavon is also one of the nicer lakes around here as well. I dono if you can use waverunners on it or not but I don't see why not. Texas all around has some of the best food out there. I haven't been to CA but several other states and there is just no comparison so far. We are very nice as long as you are. Don't ******* drive slow in the fast lane though!! There are plenty of clubs to go to either on Lower Greenville or in the West End and Deep Ellum of Dallas. I can personally show you where the beer's at if you need to find it, trust me. There are two zoo's in the area, Dallas and Ft. Worth, Ft. Worth being the bettrer one. There are 4 tracks in the area, 3 1/8 milers and one 1/4 miler. I have heard though that one track(1/8), coincidentally the closest one to McKinney is going to close. The hot rod community here is damn large and the ricers seem to be dwindling down a bit to me. As far as housing costs, I dono about property taxes and how they compare really but I guarantee you could get the same house in CA here for atleast a 1/3 of the price. Hm, what else?? Did I say don't drive slow in the fast lane??!!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

One thing ive noticed, is every place I have lived has a different driving style. In FL, if you cut people off, they get pissed. Here in CA, cutting someone off 2 inches infront of them is called merging. Driving on the freeways here is crazy due to the fact there are millions of cars on the road and you have to be alert every second or you will hit someone. However, people here can't drive in the rain. I used to live in the Florida Keys for most of my life before moving to Orlando for school and here (CA) for a job. Most people in FL drive in the rain pretty well. Here every freeway is huge and has multiple lanes so people dont have to move out of the way like the 4 lane highways back east.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Does it snow in the winter?
How much are energy costs to cool a 2300-2700 sq ft house in the summer and heat in the winter?
Also, Lavon Lake...it looks like it isnt developed around it to the north that much. Is there a reason why? Would it be possible to get some land there?
Old 01-24-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Lakes are all down about 5 to 6 feet due to the lack of rain. I dont know about the land up there. And since your coming from Cali, I wouldnt worry about the property taxes. You need to come down for a weekend. What line of work are you in?
Old 01-24-2006, 05:02 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

I "might" snow once a year up in that area maybe and when it does its nothing that really sticks. It is a dry heat thoguh in the summer up there not as bad as being down in Houston.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 70&00CAMARO
The Lakes are all down about 5 to 6 feet due to the lack of rain. I dont know about the land up there. And since your coming from Cali, I wouldnt worry about the property taxes. You need to come down for a weekend. What line of work are you in?
Currently I am a systems engineer for a space and airbone division of the company. How deep are the lakes out there typically and do you have to use 4 stroke motors? I like 2 stroke motors in waverunners due to the ligher weight and power they produce. The 4 stroke waverunners are pigs. I've heard some places ban 2 strokes out here in CA. If all goes well I am definately going to make a trip out there for a few days and see how the area is. CA just isn't for us.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

People can't ******* drive to save their life down here. I drive offensively every time I get in my car - only b/c the best defense is a strong offense. Gotta pay more attention to the other ******* than you do yourself most of the time.

My biggest gripe is people being slow down here - they walk slow, they talk slow, they drive slow. Life moves a bit slower down here, but I'm from NY - so sue me. And its fawking hot

Then again, they are willing to give me a concealed carry license(about to test that willingness out here in a few months), so the state isn't all that bad. And they breed hotties by the dozens
Old 01-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
People can't ******* drive to save their life down here. I drive offensively every time I get in my car - only b/c the best defense is a strong offense. Gotta pay more attention to the other ******* than you do yourself most of the time.

My biggest gripe is people being slow down here - they walk slow, they talk slow, they drive slow. Life moves a bit slower down here, but I'm from NY - so sue me. And its fawking hot

Then again, they are willing to give me a concealed carry license(about to test that willingness out here in a few months), so the state isn't all that bad. And they breed hotties by the dozens
haha, what part of NY. My girl is from a town just outside of NYC. It would be hard to believe life is slower there than where I grew up just north of Key West. Now that place, people move really slow.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cuz there all ooooollllllddddd.

Allen area is good area, i can get some exact property tax numbers for ya, but id need to know a price range for the house. Ohh and this is Texas, you are free to drive what ever you feel like driving on our lakes.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Did I mention it's hot here? Lol

BTW, for some reason we can't drive in the rain here, 45MPH tops when it's wet.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

Dude, get on down here, you will like it alot. I moved from Iowa 4 yrs ago with some friends from h.s. I lovd it and will probably never move. I live in Arlington, wich is nice. but the area you are talikin bout is nice. U really can't go wrong in the Metroplex. Nice people, fun stuff to do, Sports,Clubs,bars,racing,live music and theater. its fun, u won't regret it. I have made a lot of good friends down here, folks are nice.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

From what I hear, it sounds pretty good. I drove through there on the way to CA from FL in August and felt how hot it was. It gets bad in Central FL with the humidity and heat too. Thats the only nice thing about Socal, its dry and cool or warm almost all year.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spenser309
cuz there all ooooollllllddddd.

Allen area is good area, i can get some exact property tax numbers for ya, but id need to know a price range for the house. Ohh and this is Texas, you are free to drive what ever you feel like driving on our lakes.
How much are they on a home in the 150k-200k range?
Old 01-24-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
People can't ******* drive to save their life down here.
i hear ya... first thing i noticed when i moved down here from boston is how slow people drive and how they use turn signals even less than Massholes!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Taxes on my home were almost $3900 and the house is valued at about $137,000. I stay about 3 or 4 miles south of Plano.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Teching In

To The Top my brotha ........ I hope to see you out here sometime soon. Let me know when you want to come check it out. You and the woman or more than welcome to kick it at the house. I got tonnes of room out here. I will talk to you more about it on AIM.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sent pm
Old 01-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replies! I talked with some people and it looks pretty good, just hope I have the skills they need. Im off to bed for now and will check this out in the AM.