Plan on buying a sport bike soon, help me decide.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
From what Ive been told is that you cannot have Liability on something thats still being paid off.
correct sir, must have full coverage
Old 08-15-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

You need some good advice and nineball is the only one close to giving you any.

Fuel excuse doesn't work unless you ride EVERY DAY, tried it myself. You will not. Guaranteed.

Bike has to be more than 50% paid off to not have to carry full coverage.

If you're only planning on buying a helmet, you're a retard. Armored jacket, gloves, and boots are a minimum. Anything less shows a lack of preparation, respect, and proper attitude.

The most important mod to your bike is YOU. Take an MSF course. Learn to ride. Turning and braking are the fun parts and will save your life. Any dipshit can twist a throttle. Everyone says "oh, a 600 is too small for me" until they lean it over a little, get scared in a turn, stand it up, and toss themselves into the trees.

If all you're looking at is liter bikes, you are purchasing out of ego (like nine-ball said) or ignorance, or both.

Important questions:
How many years have you ridden?
How many MILES have you ridden?
How many friends have you had hurt or die?
Who would be angry and sad when you wad the bike and make yourself meat?

Don't be a squid. I'm all about riding fast, fun, and safe. If it's really about fun, go buy a 250 or a dirtbike. Learn to ride the bike, not the other way around. Get to where you can wring that bike out sideways, make it jump up and bark, then step up a level. No one will leave you if you know how to ride well.

Bikes are ALL about the rider. My "sport touring" bike has beaten its share of the latest and greatest hardware, both from a dig, from a roll, and through the turns. It's not the bike, it's you. You have the wrong attitude to ride and will only live through it by the grace of God.

Unless you change your attitude, you'll be one of the dipshits that every one points to and says "Look at those reckless crotch rocket guys."

Your enjoyment and success/lifespan on a bike depend on:
1. Judgment
2. Preparation
3. Attitude
4. Habits
5. Alertness
6. Company
7. Skill
8. Bike

I'm not saying "don't get one", I'm saying "do it right." You are not. I'm not saying "don't ride fast", I'm saying "do it right."

I've ridden for 13 years and am on my 6th bike, so I'm not talking outta my ***. You need to think seriously about this before you step into it.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Resident

I called an insurance agency in Tx, they said for FULL coverage insurance it woul dbe like mor ethe 500 a month just for insurance.....That doesnt include your Bike Payment. Also I also believe(The last time I talked to an sales man) Suzuki is the only bike retailer that does NOT require you to carry any insurance on there bikes....But state laws are different, so you MAY get away with just liability which should run like $250 a year....

Also look into your riding gear as others hav mentioned....A good jacket isnt the only thing you need...Gloves, Helmet, boots(If you want them), Eye protection dont just rely on your face shield, sometimes it to dayum hot to have your faceshield shut at a red lite of slow speeds.....
Old 08-15-2006, 02:06 AM
Curveball TECH

Nice post Jmilz, def helps to hear from someone with many years of experience.

Even if you have previous riding experience the msf course is probably a good idea. Plus you could more then likely get insurance discounts having completed the course.

If your having doubts about wearing a jacket, check out this page http://www.cmyoung.com/bikewreck.html

If you feel like you had enough experience on your previous bike, I don't see why you shouldnt move up to something you really want. I mean we drive high hp cars(at least some people on here do ) but when the hell are we ever going to need that power? I know people who rode 1300's for their first bike and have yet to lay it down/wreck for more than a year now. It might be a good idea to try and find someone with a newer r6/g600/zx6 and see if they'll let you ride it.

Questions for Jmilz:

What was your favorite bike out of the 6?
What order and how long were you on each bike?
Have you ever been in any accidents?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:48 AM
TECH Resident

http://www.cmyoung.com/bikewreck.html

That is one hell of a find....I am getting leathers when I get my bike!! WOW
Old 08-15-2006, 06:38 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cousin of mine just got a Honda 600RR, brand new, financed it, and has liability insurance.

The neighbor I mentioned earlier just traded in his GSXR600 for the special edition Busa and I know he's not 50% done paying the bike off. He told me that I would not need full coverage on the bike and something about the Suzukis are the only ones that will allow you not to have full coverage.

I'm not purchasing this bike for fuel purposes only, I've wanted my own bike for quite some time. I rode a CBR900RR for a while, my neighbors GSXR600 a few times, and I had a dirtbike in the past. No I don't have years and years of experience, but riding has become very natural to me and I feel that I got my experience with the dirtbike. I know they are 2 different animals, but I don't plan on getting this bike and going insane with it. Yes I have a passion for speed, but I also have common sense.

I know that I won't be able to ride the bike everyday, but I hope to ride it as much as possible, BECAUSE of gas prices.

I already have a set of gloves, but may end up buying another set. A helmet, have one of those too, but will probably buy one to match the bike. A jacket, don't have one, but that will be something I purchase too, not only for safety, but to ride in the cooler season.

I don't see how you or anyone else for that matter can jump to conclusions/make assumptions on my attitude about the purchase/reason I want a bike and second guess my riding skills. I'm kinda offended by that. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the advice and looking out for my own good, but the way you came with me at it was a bit harsh. I'm a very respectable rider and take riding seriously. I'm not gona be like other deustch bags on the road who go in between cars, pop wheelies, haul *** around cars, be a badass, etc.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Look...This is very simple...Buy what you want...Do what you want...make sure and check every angle before a purchase...Many times people think they know about insurance ...They buy a new bike and find out insurance is 6k to 10k a year for there age and the size bike. THen they have to dump it and take a big hit...I hope this does not happen to you....Be safe and enjoy riding....

P.S. O yeah something people forget....Any croych rocket sold today will out handle the mental ability of its street rider. They can all have a tire change and be raced...Even the busa...It is the only big bike ever really raced in AMA.....So it will handle better than you can ride it so dont worry...Buy what fits you, I mean fits you...They are all fast and turbos arent that expensive...lol...Hyde
Old 08-15-2006, 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
If you aren't going to race it, and are trying to get an economical 'cruiser', then why do you need more than a 600? Or even a 750? It's not like those bikes are slow by any means.

Sounds more like an ego/status purchase, not a useful one. Nobody is going to rag you for buying a 600 or 750, those bikes are still respectable and quick enough for 99% of the population.
I couldn't agree with Tony more.

Is this your first bike? You know the rule, right? You will lay a bike down? Or..there are 2 kinds of people in this world..those that have laid one down and those that will?
Old 08-15-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW - liability on a bike is more than $250 a year ESPECIALLY if you have PIP (which you really need) It'll be approximately $100/month - depending on who you go with. Consider this - I'm 22, female, have an 01 F4i and I pay around $100/month for liability + PIP.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well i just got my insurance this week for the liability for the GSXR-1000....92.00 per 6 months.....184.00 for the year. PIP is the biggest cost in insurance for a motorcycle it can double your rate....If you already have medical insurance through work or Major medical...I would tell you stay away from PIP...Why pay for the same thing twice...Just a thought...
Old 08-15-2006, 08:25 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
I'm not gona be like other deustch bags on the road who go in between cars, pop wheelies, haul *** around cars, be a badass, etc.
Thank God! I hope you truly avoid being a 2-wheeled assclown. I swear I see sport bike riders doing ignorant stuff, almost on a daily basis. Whenever I see one of these guys pop wheelies at over 100 mph on the freeway in traffic, a part of me secretly wishes they would lay it down and eat ****. Hard lesson, but they are ignorant and give ALL riders a bad name.

That is mostly why I prefer cruiser bikes, you don't see any of them popping wheelies or weaving in and out of traffic. As a riding group, they are also 100x more aware and ride in a non-competitive nature.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Thank God! I hope you truly avoid being a 2-wheeled assclown. I swear I see sport bike riders doing ignorant stuff, almost on a daily basis. Whenever I see one of these guys pop wheelies at over 100 mph on the freeway in traffic, a part of me secretly wishes they would lay it down and eat ****. Hard lesson, but they are ignorant and give ALL riders a bad name.

That is mostly why I prefer cruiser bikes, you don't see any of them popping wheelies or weaving in and out of traffic. As a riding group, they are also 100x more aware and ride in a non-competitive nature.
but then Harley riders/Crusier riders have the highest accident rate....due to there age, inexperience and ignorance...aka No helmet,jacket, any gear wearing dumbasses.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TRANSdAMn 2k
Nice post Jmilz, def helps to hear from someone with many years of experience.

Questions for Jmilz:

What was your favorite bike out of the 6?
What order and how long were you on each bike?
Have you ever been in any accidents?
Same here. Jmilz is absolutely right. It's all about attitude of the rider.

TRANSdAMn 2k, maybe I can give some input:

I have only ridden 5 1/2 years now and about 50,000 miles, plus dirt and road racing track, but I still approach riding with caution. I don't ride to work in Houston, at minimum I wear a jacket, helmet, good gloves, and boots, and eventhough I ride a 1K bike, I don't go around being a squid. I save my need for speed for the track.

I have owned several bikes in my last 5 years. My favorite of all of them was and still is SV 650. This was my first bike in 2001 and I put 20,000 miles on it. I rode it on the street and track for 2 years.

Then after about 2 years I bought a GSXR 600 for a track and rode that on the track for 1 year and SV650 on the street for about 6 more months.

Then in 2003 I got a great deal on 2002 R1 so I ended up buying that. This was the time I sold the SV (big mistake)..

The R1 was (and still is) my street bike, and I road raced the GSXR for 1 season, but due to high costs and lack of time I got rid of that bike and got a dirt bike (KDX 200). I still road raced, but on other people's bikes for another season.

I only rode the dirt bike for 1 year. Too much effort to go dirt riding if you live in the city.

Last year I bought another SV . I got my favorite bike again. I put it on the track, but I am in middle of making it street legal again because I would like to use it more. Track bike only gets to be used once a month or so.

I also race NSR50 right now for about 1 year.

As far as accidents here they are:

1. Dropped first SV making a U turn 1 week after buying it. I broke a shift lever and stratched the tank. This was my only crash on the street.
2. I fell down on the track few times, but my major crash broke my hand in 2 places. Gear definately saved my a$$ then. I left the track at about 120mph, but managed to slow down enough and lay the bike down before piling into tire wall.
3. Many dirt bike falls ( I wouldn't call them crashes ) - no injuries.
4. 3 or 4 NSR50 mini racing falls - no injuries.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
but then Harley riders/Crusier riders have the highest accident rate....due to there age, inexperience and ignorance...aka No helmet,jacket, any gear wearing dumbasses.
Gotta call BS on that, I've seen the stats.

Cruisers are involved in more accidents total, because there are MANY more cruisers on the road, compared to sport bikes. I believe the ratio is like 70% cruisers sold over sport bikes.

Sport bikes make up 40% of motorcycle accidents, but are only 30% of the bikes on the road. That means a greater percentage of sport bikes are in accidents, compared to the number of them on the road.

BTW, wearing a helmet or jacket doesn't prevent accidents from happening. I've seen plenty of both style bikes with unprotected riders. This isn't about gear, it is a stat based on vehicles involved in accidents.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

but fatalities on cruisers are greater due to no helmet, sure there are alot of sportbike riders who dont wear helmets but most do, but when it comes to cruiser all i ever see is a bunch of guys who think their hardasses until that rock from a truck smacks them in the head at 70mph We have had over 4 H-D riders in my small *** town die this year already all due to head trauma.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I guess I can't argue with ignorance. We are talking bikes, not personal protective gear. I agree that riders should wear the proper gear at all times. But, I've never seen a "hardass H-D" rider popping wheelies or zipping in and out of cars, being an assclown. Are you saying that it is okay to ride like a dumbass as long as proper gear is worn?

If that is your point, then I'll still disagree.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Im not saying that, im saying that H-D riders wearing no gear cause just as much danger to the driving public as squids. Most H-D/Cruiser riders are middle aged men who drink and drive, do not take driving courses, and feel just cause the drive slower they do not have to wear the protective gear. We have a bar here in town that is always filled with H-D riders, not saying SB riders dont ever do that but I hardley ever see a guy in SB leathers and helmet sitting at the bar at Hooters.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm with Tony on this one.

Percentage-wise there are bunch more of idiots on sporbikes than cruisers. Many times I had an idiot on a sporbike fly by me doing stupid sht, but I never had a cruiser guy do the same. People behaving like that give very bad name to the sport.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

A dragon Fly zipping thru the air and a guy not wearing a helmet smacking the bug at 70 mph with his eye will do alot of damage to the biker causing him to crash. I have seen guys on dirt bikes with swollen eyes from hitting a large bug at 30-35mph.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

but more crusier accidents result in fatalities then SB accidents. Squids usually get road rash and some broken bones and a fubared bikes, but crusiers usually end up dead.

Quick Reply: Plan on buying a sport bike soon, help me decide.