Wrecked car, best strategy for dollar recovery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wrecked car, best strategy for dollar recovery?

Hey everyone - I am out of my depth on a situation with wife's car and wondered if any of you had any experience with it.

She wrecked her 99 SLK. Front clip gone. Insurance has already had the estimate done (with their shop, non OEM parts) and sent a check for 8250. Car sits in storage awaiting the outcome. Bear in mind I never own cars that cost more than about that cash, which means they are totalled in any major event. Thus I have no idea what to do here.

Other factors:
These cars non wrecked in similar condition/milage go for maybe 12-14k.
The market on these cars is not really strong, because newer models are coming out. Getting 8250 for it in good shape could be tough in a couple years.
It is probable that we would be getting rid of it in 2-3 years anyway.

So my questions are:

Is it better economically to hold onto the check, sell the car as is (crashed, non totalled, repairable) and buy something else?
If so, who do I look for to sell it to?

Any input on this would be great. If my assumptions are wrong, feel free to correct them. Every day I do not have a solution costs me $30 in rental car fees.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me ask you this: Why can't/don't you fix it?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Find a firend who has access to IAAI or copart auto auction run it through the auction and get another check and go find another vehicle you can probably get between 3500-5500 at auction depending on how bad it is tore up. THis is assuming of course the vehicle is paid for and you have the title and not the bank.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

UL:
I never considered that an option.

The short answer is it would take too long.

It is paid for and we own it.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

They have auction's every two weeks. You might also want to call a few of the higher end salvage yards who specialize in vehicles like that. A lot of the time they will buy it right off you and give what they would have paid at auction. It's a thought to try at least and there are tons of yards in h-town.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

How bad is it? Do you have any pics? How many miles, condition?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

i would just get rid of it. yea you may fix it. but what will you do if after a month of driving it someone hits it and totals it . itll just be a monetary loss. ive been thru it. just giving some advice
Old 10-10-2006, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
i would just get rid of it. yea you may fix it. but what will you do if after a month of driving it someone hits it and totals it . itll just be a monetary loss. ive been thru it. just giving some advice
Is that how you live your life?? 'Well ****, if I fix it now, somebody might just hit it tomorrow, mise well not even fix it'....sorry to be an ***, but that logic just seems a little off to me.

OP, if you like the car and can see yourself happy with it, take that $8250 check and fix the damn thing. If you don't want to put that much money into it, sell it for $4000 and by something you want...
Old 10-10-2006, 07:16 AM
12 Second Club

if its just the front clip fix it yourself and take it get painted. You should be able to fix it yourself and save a ton of money and have it painted for a reasonable price. Pocket the rest of the cash. Thats what I would do.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AllThrottle4U
How bad is it? Do you have any pics? How many miles, condition?
56k miles, pretty good shape before this, obviously.

I will try to get some pics up at lunch.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Pics

Couple pics of the damage for reference.

Benzie go smash.
Attached Thumbnails Wrecked car, best strategy for dollar recovery?-slkfront.jpg   Wrecked car, best strategy for dollar recovery?-slkside.jpg  
Old 10-11-2006, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

That's a little worse than I thought. Did the airbags go off? Looks like hte wheel might be bent also.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

First: Don't endorse that check!! once you do you've settled the claim

Second:Get on autotrader, find 10 similar cars that are going for what you want to get for it, and show them to the ins.co. They made you an offer, you don't have to take it!

When my car was stolen i held out and got 50% more than their orig. offer, because i did all of that.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002C5COUPE
First: Don't endorse that check!! once you do you've settled the claim

Second:Get on autotrader, find 10 similar cars that are going for what you want to get for it, and show them to the ins.co. They made you an offer, you don't have to take it!

When my car was stolen i held out and got 50% more than their orig. offer, because i did all of that.

I had a feeling that might be the case. So the check sits on the entry way table.

I'll look into that for sure, thanks for the advice. Is there a formalized process for what you did or do you just do what you outlined and present that to the adjuster?

Wheel might be bent - true enough. Gotta check and see if they included that in the estimate. Thats a bloody AMG 17". ***** ain't cheap.

Strangely the airbags did not deploy. As you can see, a van kind of drove *over* the front of the car, which is all I can think of as to why they did not go off. Actually, only one should have gone off; the driver. But it did not.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plan on fixing it, it will prob cost more than that check. The ins companies always give less hoping you will just take it. If you do fix it, just take it to the dealer (this will help when you sell it). Give them the insurance info and they will bill for a supplement. Many Benz dealers won't use aftermarket parts and that will run the repair bill up. Make sure the ins company gets stuck with the difference, not you.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Insurance claims, like many other things in life, are negotiable. Like people have said: once you take the money to the bank the insurance company exhales. It will probably be frustrating and a real battle, but I think you can do better. Just aim for a goal and stay motivated!

Good luck. I hope your wife was ok?

Ryan
Old 10-12-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96-speed
Insurance claims, like many other things in life, are negotiable. Like people have said: once you take the money to the bank the insurance company exhales. It will probably be frustrating and a real battle, but I think you can do better. Just aim for a goal and stay motivated!

Good luck. I hope your wife was ok?

Ryan

Yeah man, thanks. She was fine, just flipped out/dazed.

We are thinking about sending the ins. estimate to a couple places to see what they say; keep the options open.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

You have the right to go to any body shop YOU want to.. The company, by law Can't tell you where to go. Thats a conflict of interest..plus that offer seems way to low. I would take it to a Real dealer and use OEM parts. Never aftermarket unless I was never going to sell it and then I think I would have to really think about it.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lo_jack
Yeah man, thanks. She was fine, just flipped out/dazed.

We are thinking about sending the ins. estimate to a couple places to see what they say; keep the options open.
Good thinking, but you have it backwards . You need to get other estimates from body shops and compare. This might be pretty tough if the car is undriveable; towing it around probably isn't all that fun.

However, you can take the insurance' estimate for what parts are needed and see what the body shops say. Stay away from the chain stores like Maaco. The first place I'd go would be the Mercedes dealship .

Glad your loved one is ok!

Good luck, and keep us updated.
Ryan
Old 10-13-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

I recently went thru an insurance claim deal with similar damage to a car worth less than what your dealing with here.

needless to say, they are trying to hose you.

take some of the advice already mentioned here and hold out for a little bit more.

if you cash that check it won't be long before you'll feel a brick hitting you in the back of your head...............