Just got a ticket... No muffler/license plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just got a ticket... No muffler/license plate

Well today I was driving on i35 and a cop was following me for a while. I pulled off at my exit and he pulled off too. He drove by me on the access road and quickly slowed back down and went behind me(it look like something that would be super troopers, it was gay). He pulled me over and gave me a ticket for no front LP and no muffler (LTs w/ TDs). I've heard that if I take a pic of my car with the LP and with an exhaust on, that I can get them dismissed? I know a couple people that "know" the judge of schertz and said that they can maybe help out, but we've all heard that before. any ideas?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

That would probably work for the license plate, but as for the exhaust, a receipt showing a muffler installed from a shop would probably be what you need.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, have an exhaust shop make you a reciept saying you got exhaust put on that car or the day after. Just dont drive the car to the court house. i'm sure you can get someone to chop a liscense plate on there if ya wanted.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha sucks...pat has turn downs too...i have cut muffler, but it is behind the rear axle..so it should be legal
Old 04-22-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is exactly why I have a LP... don't have time for that bs

GL
Old 04-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Launching!

damn that blows, are the cops in san marcos bad? im heading up there in the fall.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clean99
damn that blows, are the cops in san marcos bad? im heading up there in the fall.
They are more concerned about drinking and running stop signs than how loud your car is.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

This didnt happen in san marcos. This happened in schertz, its about 30min south.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

that sux!

i guess it just depends on the cop... ussually when there just lookin for sombody to **** with...keep us updated!
Old 04-22-2007, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a LP and its in the window or did you not have one at all?\

I carry this page with me at all times. Copy it and carry it with you in your car. If you look at the second question on this link it says:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/faq_item.htm

How many license plates am I required to display?
State law requires that you display two (2) license plates, one to the front and one to the rear. Placement or mounting of license plates is not defined.
Click Here to view state statute

I tell the cop that he can ticket me if he would like but I will simply get out of it in court because im not in the wrong all. Ive gotten two tickets for it and got out of both of them.

Now... if they write the ticket for not being able to see the plate at all... then that may be a different story.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

I didnt have a plate at all. I have like 4 brackets in the garage(from prev camaros lol), but never have had them on, I've always only gotten warnings.

But that is a pretty nice find. I'll be sure to print that out and maybe i'll put another plate somewhere, they just dont look right at all.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

i thought they were gonna get rid of that front lp law awhile back...what happened....
Old 04-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

What i heard from a cop is if you get pulled over for plate (this will only work once). Say "oh really? It's gone? It must have been stolen...Can i file a report? " He said the cop CANT give you a ticket and you basically fucked him with alot of paperwork. However you will have to get new plates but i dont think they can charge you for it.

Just an interesting idea to think about

William
Old 04-22-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

bud8fan...
They've talked about it for years, but it hasnt changed.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by will69camaro
What i heard from a cop is if you get pulled over for plate (this will only work once). Say "oh really? It's gone? It must have been stolen...Can i file a report? " He said the cop CANT give you a ticket and you basically fucked him with alot of paperwork. However you will have to get new plates but i dont think they can charge you for it.

Just an interesting idea to think about

William

That prob wouldnt have worked in my case. This cop was questioning me and the girl I was with about drugs etc. I gotta say. I'm pretty damn surprised he didn't search my car.

but lmao. It would have been nice to make him and his partner do a bunch of paper work for the LP hahaha.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i got arrested today an off duty cop was tailgating me and i step on it and it just happend to be he was going into work and he saw my baby outside autozone and they checked my file 3 warrants..... put ur hands behind ur back son ur going in for warrants..... but i still got out
Old 04-22-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Well today I was driving on i35 and a cop was following me for a while. I pulled off at my exit and he pulled off too. He drove by me on the access road and quickly slowed back down and went behind me(it look like something that would be super troopers, it was gay). He pulled me over and gave me a ticket for no front LP and no muffler (LTs w/ TDs). I've heard that if I take a pic of my car with the LP and with an exhaust on, that I can get them dismissed? I know a couple people that "know" the judge of schertz and said that they can maybe help out, but we've all heard that before. any ideas?
Works in irving lol.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's the two sections of the law that pertain to the license plates, with the key points in different colors. you can read the whole thing HERE in the section "CHAPTER 502. REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES"

personally, i think you could probably print out these sections and keep them with you to show to any cops that pull you over for no front license plate (assuming it's still displayed on the dash)....as long as they don't claim that the windshield itself:

Originally Posted by TX Law
(A) distorts angular visibility or detectability; or
(B) alters or obscures the letters or numbers on the plate, the color of the plate, or another original design feature of the plate."
then you can possibly get out of the ticket right then & there. even if they still give you a ticket, you can probably have it thrown out if you get a lawyer to argue that the law is too vague to prosecute you for this "violation", especially considering that you would still have the plate shown at the front of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by TX Law
Sec. 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA
(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:
(1) assigned by the department for the period; or
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle, other than a vehicle assigned license plates for the registration period, that does not properly display the registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the license plates have been validated for the period.
(c) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate, attached to the rear of the vehicle, that has been:
(1) assigned by the department for the period; or
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.
(d) Subsections (a) and (b) do not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.
(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Sec.A502.409. WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED LICENSE PLATE
(a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or registration insignia that:
(1) is assigned to a different motor vehicle;
(2) is assigned to the vehicle under any other motor vehicle law other than by the department;
(3) is assigned for a registration period other than the registration period in effect;
(4) is fictitious;
(5) has letters, numbers, or other identification marks that because of blurring or reflective matter are not plainly visible at all times during daylight;
(6) has an attached illuminated device or sticker, decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by law and that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers on the plate or the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or
(7) has a coating, covering, or protective material that:
(A) distorts angular visibility or detectability; or
(B) alters or obscures the letters or numbers on the plate, the color of the plate, or another original design feature of the plate.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (f), an offense under Subsection (a) is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $200, unless it is shown at the trial of the offense that the owner knowingly altered or made illegible the letters, numbers, and other identification marks, in which case the offense is a Class B misdemeanor.
(c) to (e) Repealed by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec.
30.66, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.
(f) An offense under Subsection (a)(4) is a Class B misdemeanor.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 30.66, eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 851, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1189, Sec. 17, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 837, Sec. 1, 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
They are more concerned about drinking and running stop signs than how loud your car is.
Yeah I see cops everywhere and I havent been bothered. Ive got no front plate, and I drive around longtubes, off road y, and dumped with a 232/234 cam. I pass cops all the time and they dont look twice. I was searched in the Woods St garage at TxState for revign it up at 2am, but I mean it was merited and I still didnt get a ticket lol.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:47 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I got pulled this month by a state boy, he gave me a ticket for no inspection, didnt say my car was too loud, it is only straight pipe, but he trie to give me a ticket for my LP not being on the front, i argued and said it had to be visible from 2 feet and 20,(it is in the window) he claimed to give me a "warning" for the LP, but hell, the car over heated and i am having trouble finding a sticker...guess im gonna have to pay the damn ticket instead of inspecting it and getting it dismissed. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Just got a ticket... No muffler/license plate